PDA

View Full Version : Psychers can mix codex/rulebook powers

Bellumvinco
07-22-2012, 09:22 PM
I may be very slow...but I was under the impression psychers couldn't have mixed powers. What I mean by that is some powers from their codex and some from the rulebook.

Well, to my surprise, I just started reading the WD390 July addition. The psychers in the battle report The Scouring of Kasr XV have mixed powers. This changes a lot!

thecactusman17
07-22-2012, 09:57 PM
The battle reports are a terrible place to get rules questions answered. They are meant to sell particular armies, units and products. They notoriously ignore critical rules in order to sell more models. For example, the Sisters of Battle battle reports featured a unit that was blatantly illegal and contained double its allowed number of special weapons for its unit size.

The rulebook itself says that you must choose which power set you use.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Agreed, WD definitely doesn't trump the rulebook. It can be good for clearing up ambiguities, though - I recall it being a deciding factor on whether or not Template weapons can fire into Planetstrike Bastion firepoints.

Wildeybeast
07-23-2012, 05:22 AM
The battle reports are a terrible place to get rules questions answered. They are meant to sell particular armies, units and products. They notoriously ignore critical rules in order to sell more models. For example, the Sisters of Battle battle reports featured a unit that was blatantly illegal and contained double its allowed number of special weapons for its unit size.

The rulebook itself says that you must choose which power set you use.

Actually, if you read the book properly, you will see it clearly says "second and subsequent psychic powers do not have to be generated from the same psychic discipline as the Psyker's first power". As such you are free to mix and match from those in the book and those in the codex.

Aramel
07-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Yes, and the only psychic disciplines are those found in the rulebook. The White Dwarf and each codex FAQ state that you can use codex powers OR rulebook ones. The "in any combination" language refers only to disciplines found in the 40k rulebook.

Gloomfang
07-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Per the BRB you can only change out as many powers as you have lvls og Psychic Mastery. I think that the FAQs say if that is true or not for each Codex. I know that Nids have to trade them all in becasue our FAQ makes us do it.

DarkLink
07-23-2012, 12:27 PM
The exact rules for who gets access to what powers is covered in each codex FAQ. Basically all of them say that it is all or nothing. Some of the FAQs are kind of unclear on certain points, though.

GKs are one exception. GKs retain Hammerhand even if they trade in their psychic powers. But you can't take both Shrouding and a Divination power on a Librarian.

Xenith
07-31-2012, 07:56 AM
I may be very slow...but I was under the impression psychers couldn't have mixed powers. What I mean by that is some powers from their codex and some from the rulebook.

Well, to my surprise, I just started reading the WD390 July addition. The psychers in the battle report The Scouring of Kasr XV have mixed powers. This changes a lot!
Care to provide an example?

Darklink has the right of it, I thought along your lines also, but going back and checking, the GK libby only has hammerhands.

You either go all codex, or all rulebook. Unless otherwise noted.

Tynskel
07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
As far as I know, only Farseers are bad mofo enough to be able to pick n' choose disciplines and Eldar Powers.

Kyban
07-31-2012, 10:21 AM
As far as I know, only Farseers are bad mofo enough to be able to pick n' choose disciplines and Eldar Powers.

Farseers can't do it either, the FAQ says you take the book powers instead of the codex powers if you choose to use those.

Forlornhope15
08-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Farseers can't do it either, the FAQ says you take the book powers instead of the codex powers if you choose to use those.

really? because I cant find it in the mostly useless Eldar FAQ anywhere, could you provide a page number?

SacredChao
08-06-2012, 12:19 AM
really? because I cant find it in the mostly useless Eldar FAQ anywhere, could you provide a page number?

Eldar 6th Ed FAQ, V1.0: Page 1, Bottom Right corner.

"A Farseer (including Eldrad Ulthran) may use the psychic disciplines found in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, instead of those in Codex: Eldar" (the emphasis is mine)

Now since they can take Divination, he can still end up with the analogues to Doom and Guide anyway, but it's random. All psykers with very very few exceptions must use Codex OR BRB powers, not both.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Thread closed, you choose either the Codex Powers or the ones in the BRB.