PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Hoods clarification needed, please

Chris Copeland
07-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Do Psychic Hoods do what they say in the codexes AND the BRB? Conversely, do they only work as described in the BRB now? Please advise. Thanks. Cope

PS I know that I used the word "codexes" and not "codices." I am doing so, not because I am an American, but rather because that is the word that the folks at Games Workshop use. They've referred to codexes for at least the past three editions of Warhammer 40,000. :)

Aramel
07-21-2012, 03:06 PM
The rules in the Rulebook for Psychic Hoods replace the one found in the codex. The same is true for "And They Shall Know No Fear" or any rule that has the same name as one found in a codex. I am curious though, have they updated it in the Ipad version of the Marine Codex?

Tepogue
07-21-2012, 03:20 PM
The FAQ refers you to the new rulebook.

RGilbert26
07-21-2012, 03:23 PM
The updated iPad SM Codex has the new Hood rules.

Heh, Tigurius's Hood makes him Mastery Level 3 (and normal Hood stuff).

Chris Copeland
07-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Ouch! So you have to be pretty damn close to use a hood in this edition and it is less reliable. Oi vay. Ah well, In general I'm finding 6th to be an improvement over 5th (but it's hard to say because I've only played two games so far AND I've changed codex).

Bean
07-21-2012, 04:19 PM
It's worse than that, even, Chris.

All a psychic hood does is allow friendly units within 6" of the librarian use his Mastery rating when figuring out their Deny the Witch roll. So, 6"--that is a very short distance--but, more importantly, it only works against powers that target your guys. So, a psychic hood will never help you shut down blessings (like Hammerhand, or most of the Divination powers) or Force Weapons, regardless of how close you are.

Psychic hoods got a huge, huge nerf. Which is sad, because the Space Wolves' Runic Staves did not--and they were already better.

bfmusashi
07-21-2012, 04:22 PM
It's not so bad. It's 6" from the target, which is a pretty big aura (especially in low model lists). I also can't think of an army with *****ing psykers and *****ing blast templates so bunching up isn't a big problem.

Bean
07-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah, but only being able to shut down offensive powers is rough. There're a lot of useful things that it just doesn't work on at all, now.

Tynskel
07-21-2012, 04:45 PM
good. Because, quite frankly, psykers are scary. And there were not with the previous Psychic Hood rules.

This also means that Shadows of the Warp still rocks. Sorry Psyker, you can only hear the low throbbing droning of the Hive Mind.

bfmusashi
07-21-2012, 07:01 PM
I like the idea the Shadow in the Warp just recites the full menu of Taco Bell while showing pictures of cute animals.

Tynskel
07-21-2012, 07:48 PM
the horror! Get out of my mind!!!

dreadnaughtguy
07-21-2012, 08:34 PM
shadow of the warp makes the psycic see this .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbPDKHXWlLQ