PDA

View Full Version : Necron Monolith and the heavy rule.

Armos1221
07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
How exactly does this help the monolith? It really doesn't seem to do much of anything. If we fire the particle whip, we can only snap fire everything else. Or am I missing something?

Kawauso
07-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Heavy makes them count as stationary for the purpose of firing weapons - so no snapfire. You always get to fire everything to full effect on the move.

But Heavy has a drawback in that it keeps you from moving more than 6", ever (thankfully this doesn't interfere with the Monolith's ability to jink, strangely enough).

Dlatrex
07-20-2012, 10:28 PM
The Heavy rule does two things:
The first is a restriction: it does not allow the monolith to move more than 6" ever.
The second is a 'benefit'. It's true that the monolith could fire the particle whip and then snap fire the gauss flux arc; however if it does not fire the whip, it can fire both the portal of exile and FOUR guass flux arc, without needing to snap-fire, even while moving at combat speed.

Dlatrex
07-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Heavy makes them count as stationary for the purpose of firing weapons - so no snapfire. You always get to fire everything to full effect on the move.

This is missing the Ordnance restriction: page 71 "...a vehicle that fires an Ordnance weapon can only make snap shots with its other weapons".

The Heavy rule has no effect on this restriction.

Kawauso
07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
This is missing the Ordnance restriction: page 71 "...a vehicle that fires an Ordnance weapon can only make snap shots with its other weapons".

The Heavy rule has no effect on this restriction.

Huh.
Missed that as it's on pg. 71, whereas the rules for Ordnance on pg. 51 (where it is in the index, too) don't mention this at all. Boo. :(

Thanks for the clarification.

Demonus
07-20-2012, 11:42 PM
so in essence, it does basically nothing :)

metal_ead
07-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Actually it does do something, like said above, it can fire non-ordanance weapons to full effect. Far from nothing. I personally never fire the whip anymore and always gauss and portal stuff. The portal of exile is sweet. :P

Archon Charybdis
07-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Hey, the particle whip can be really handy when it wipes out a full squad of Dire Avengers in one go, as I had the misfortune of experiencing yesterday.