PDA

View Full Version : Real / True Flames and Candy paint.

Deadlift
07-19-2012, 04:46 PM
So just wondering if any of you guys have a stab at true flames and using candy paint ?
I am thinking of having a stab at it on my Stormtalon wings and am looking at the Vallejo candy paints (red or orange).

I have done quite a bit of research and it seems although airbrushing true flames is widely covered in the automotive art world, scale models not so much.

SotonShades
07-19-2012, 05:09 PM
What exactly do you mean by true flames? I may or may not have an answer for you. Could you post a pic as an example? But no I haven't on the candy paints.

Deadlift
07-19-2012, 05:14 PM
What exactly do you mean by true flames? I may or may not have an answer for you. Could you post a pic as an example? But no I haven't on the candy paints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lryNZRFdmhE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is what I am looking at doing, just on a much smaller scale :eek:

SotonShades
07-20-2012, 06:51 AM
I have a couple of ideas that may work for you. I'll get some pics of flames I've done in the past (quite a different technique, but a reasonable end result, and still attracts comments when the rest of my painting has gotten so much better...) and outline a technique I think would work. If I get time I might have a go and see if I can get it to work, if not you may have to be the guinnee pig :P

Deadlift
07-20-2012, 10:52 AM
I have a couple of ideas that may work for you. I'll get some pics of flames I've done in the past (quite a different technique, but a reasonable end result, and still attracts comments when the rest of my painting has gotten so much better...) and outline a technique I think would work. If I get time I might have a go and see if I can get it to work, if not you may have to be the guinnee pig :P

Thanks matey, much appriciated :)

SotonShades
07-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Right, here we go...

First my old stuff. Bare in mind these are somewhere between 8 and 10 years old now, so imagine them with a slightly more precise and finer application;

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7615796094_8ae27723b3_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7119/7615793056_a30e1ab225_z.jpg

T%hey may be old, but people do still like to look at them.

If this is the kind of effect you'd like to go for (not quite as sexy as the airbrush ones in the vid, but fairly effective at the smaller scale) I did it in a fairly similar manner to the vid actually. Starting off at the darkest red I was using (Red Gore on the Rhino, a dark mix of Red Gore and Blazing Orange on the Standard if I remember correctly) I painted in semi-ramndom curves, in the same way that the guy did his dagger strokes, but only forming the outline of the flame rather than giving any internal shape. This gave me the very outer limits of flame which I then filled in carefully.

I then did successive layers, going from the darkest red through to blood red with an inbetween mix for the rhino, then for both using 3 mixes from the red to Blazing orange, a pure Orange layer, 3 more mixes from Blazing Orange to Badmoon Yellow, a full yellow, and 2 mixes from yellow to Skull white. For each layer I stayed inside the shape of the first, following the curves fairly roughly with the dagger lines (not that mine were particularly sharp!) and filling the new layer. I also did a few deviations filling in a little of the negative space between the licks of flames. I only ever allowed one or two licks to go higher than the licks of the previous layer, and usually around the central area of the fire. I also added one or two splashes that had seperated from the licks above them, almost always within the licks of the previous layer and still conforming to the shape of the nearest lick. The main exception to that was the ****e layre at the end, which had a few points of white up in amongst some of the pure yellow and orangey layers.

My other idea was much more similar to the one demonstrated in the video. Paint which ever sucrafce you want your flames on normally to match the rest of the colour scheme. Then use very thing white paint to create a layer of licks of flame, exactly as the guy in the video described, but obviously by hand and using multiple layers to build up the intensity of the white. Then use a glaze like Bloodletter (I imagine a red candy paint would have a similar effect, essentially staining the white) to cover the white. Repeat the process and great another white flame layer, but glaze again with the red followed by a second glaze of Lamenters Yellow (or similar). This should deepend and enrich the previous flame layer, as well as giving the orangey tone to the newest layer. Third time round, do the white flames again followed by just the yellow glaze. You may want to try to avoid getting the yellow glaze on the deepest red layer of flames, depending on how they turn out. Then again, using diferent glazes on different areas of the same layers of flame, poentially even wet blenging them or allowing them to flow naturally into each other, could create a really cool effect as well. It'd deffinitely be worth experimenting with. If you can be bothered, try to only cover the white/flame bits with the glazes and nothing else, but you could always touch up the base layer (along with any highlights) inbetween the flames and glaze after you have finished adding layers of flames.

This second method would be WAY more time consuming than my first method (depending on how thin your white paint is and how long the glazes take to dry) but should result in more realistic looking flames. Quite how well it would work I am not sure, and it would almost certainly be best suited to vehicle hulls rather than shoulder pads an the like, unless you have very steady hands! You could easilly adjust it to have more layers and or colours (a purple and green flames sounds quite chaosy to me! Maybe better use purple and blue for Tzeentch...), but remember that less could quite possibly be more. if you have too many licks of flame in the first white layer, you might find the later layers looking very cluttered.

Hope all that helps. If I can get my hands on the glazes I might have a go at doing this on the side of my Land Raider Redeemer (although will probably start with orange and work up to white as the hull it all ready red lol) for my Brotherhood of Fire Space Marine chapter.

Deadlift
07-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks matey, again very much appreciated. I love the banner, its very cool.

I have managed to get my hands on some small scale true flame templates and some vallejo candy. I am going to try the effect on some black plasticard 1st. Although I intended this to be used on my Talon I am thinking that this could look very cool on a necron flyer. Etherial green flames could look very nice and because of the large flat areas on the scythe, this could be an ideal vehicle trial.

I will update as I progress :D