PDA

View Full Version : Annihilation Barge

uglytater
07-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Last night I did my first 6th ed battle with 1k Necrons vs 1k BA just to try to learn the rules with my brother. The only vehicle I used was an Annihilation Barge, and the way I played it was awesome, so I'm wondering if I was playing this 90 point vehicle correctly. The way I read the rules, if I move 12" I'm at cruising speed, so I can shoot all of it's weapons as snap shots. This means that my Twin Linked Destructor Cannon which is Assault 4 rolls 4 dice, every 6 results in 3 Wound rolls due to Tesla, and every 5 and below rerolls because it is twin linked. Is this correct? If so is there a better Heavy unit in the cron codex?

The short summary of the battle was 5 Wraiths with a destroyer lord ripped Blood Angels up, and a bad deep strike roll allowed my Warriors to kite the terminators and the Blood Angels were beat down, though Death Company did get to rip through all of my warriors eventually, but my immortals were able to take Death Company down.

Thanks,

Aramel
07-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Actually if the barge is a fast skimmer (pretty sure it was) you can fire two weapons at full BS and the rest as snap fire.

Nachodragon
07-19-2012, 05:35 PM
It is not a fast skimmer. Oh, how I wish it was, but it is just an ordinary skimmer.

Foreigner
07-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Last night I did my first 6th ed battle with 1k Necrons vs 1k BA just to try to learn the rules with my brother. The only vehicle I used was an Annihilation Barge, and the way I played it was awesome, so I'm wondering if I was playing this 90 point vehicle correctly. The way I read the rules, if I move 12" I'm at cruising speed, so I can shoot all of it's weapons as snap shots. This means that my Twin Linked Destructor Cannon which is Assault 4 rolls 4 dice, every 6 results in 3 Wound rolls due to Tesla, and every 5 and below rerolls because it is twin linked. Is this correct? If so is there a better Heavy unit in the cron codex?

Thanks,

You did it exactly correct.

If you move your barge 12", you snap shoot the Telsa Destructor, causing only 6's to hit, producing 3 hits each. 1-5 you Reroll for twin-linked, just as you did.

Jenn
07-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Necrons: Your doing it right.

The Annihilation barge is hands down my personal favorite of all the heavy choices. I almost always run three. There is a lot of talk on the internets right now saying that Doom scythes are the better heavy choice but its really up to you which one you prefer. If your playgroup is anything like mine everyone around has made adjustments to their lists to account for flyers, often paying premium prices for anti-air or switching out their high strength single shot weaponry for lower strength multishot weaponry... In that kind of environment the Annihilation barge is king because the things that really scared you from before (melta, las cannons, etc.) are in decline in exchange for plasma, autocannons, and assault cannons. All of which dont really scare you.

If you keep using annihilation barges don't forget to always keep them moving at least combat speed, this allows you near optimal damage output while also providing you with a 5+ jink save... Which is amazing.

Also, not to self promote but if your interested in seeing a little bit of in depth tournament minded thinking for Necrons as well as get some inspiration on where you may want to take your toasters from here you should check out Mindshackled Musings. (http://mindshackledmusings.blogspot.com/) I'm hoping to make it a good resource for new Necron players.

Anggul
07-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Also, now that AP - doesn't hamper your ability to damage vehicles at all, Annihilation barges can tear through transports and light vehicles in general.

Mr Mystery
07-21-2012, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=Jenn;221151]Necrons: almost Your doing it right.

QUOTE]

Fix'd! Try two. Tank Squaring really comes into it's own here. In 2,000 points I field 2 Annihlation Barges, 2 Night Sythes and 1 Doom Scythe. So much Tesla my opponents almost cry!

In 1,500, it's 2 Annihilation Barges, 2 Doom Scythes, and it's horrendous what I can do with them. For such cheap vehicles they're pleasingly resilient until you lose your quantam armour. But fielding two brings in the aforementioned Tank Squaring. Double the fire power, double the targets, your opponent has to work 4 times as hard to take them down. With some of the nipper elements included, you can present your opponent with far more pressing targets, and their small size makes them pretty straight forward to hide behind even fairly skimpy terrain. And being a Skimmer, they can then just move straight on over it when it's time to zap the enemy into the dirt!

Though do be careful with them. I've managed to send a Nightscythe crashing into the dirt having arced it with it's own weapon. Enemy came off worse, and it was well funny, but definitely a lesson learned!