View Full Version : BA FAQ Clarification

Angelofblades
07-19-2012, 09:08 AM
This part of the BA FAQ has confused me:

Page 23 – The Red Thirst.
Add “Independent Characters that have succumbed to the Red
Thirst can only join the Death Company, and units that have
also succumbed to the Red Thirst.”

As I read it, it tells me that IC that have succumb to the Red Thirst can only join the DC or other units that have succumbed to the Red Thirst.

But none of the BA IC's have the Red Thirst Special rule.

However, I had someone in my group tell me that none of the BA IC's could join the DC because they didnt succumb to the Red Thirst. Meaning to me that it was read such that the only IC's that had succumbed to the Red Thirst could join the DC. So in effect, no IC could ever join the DC. This ofcourse has caused an issue since it prevents Chaplains and Astaroth from leading the DC units.

Have I read the FAQ correctly?

Krayd
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
This part of the BA FAQ has confused me:

As I read it, it tells me that IC that have succumb to the Red Thirst can only join the DC or other units that have succumbed to the Red Thirst.

But none of the BA IC's have the Red Thirst Special rule.

However, I had someone in my group tell me that none of the BA IC's could join the DC because they didnt succumb to the Red Thirst. Meaning to me that it was read such that the only IC's that had succumbed to the Red Thirst could join the DC. So in effect, no IC could ever join the DC. This ofcourse has caused an issue since it prevents Chaplains and Astaroth from leading the DC units.

Have I read the FAQ correctly?

I think that you are misreading it. It says 'ICs that have succumbed to the red thirst can only join the DC/other red thirst units'. It does *not* say 'Only ICs that have succumbed to the red thirst may join DC/other red thirst units'. See the difference?

The rule only limits who you can join red-thirsted ICs to. It does not limit what sort of IC's you can link to red-thirsted units.

Wolfshade
07-19-2012, 09:20 AM
To muddy the waters.

You deploy all of your forces
As part of the deployment you attach a IC to a squad
After deployment, you roll for Red Thirst, but ICs don't suffer from it, so if the squad the IC is attached to fails and gets Red Thirst does the IC have to leave the unit, since it isn't in his special rules that he can succumb to it.

As for DC they don't have red thirst

Angelofblades
07-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Awesome, thanks.

ElectricPaladin
07-19-2012, 09:24 AM
So, my chaplain can join the Death Company? Good. That seemed like a weird rule.

DarkLink
07-19-2012, 09:46 AM
After deployment, you roll for Red Thirst, but ICs don't suffer from it, so if the squad the IC is attached to fails and gets Red Thirst does the IC have to leave the unit, since it isn't in his special rules that he can succumb to it.

If an IC couldn't join a squad just because they have a special rule he doesn't, ICs would be effectively useless. As pointed out, if you read the rule you'll see that an IC does not have to have succumbed in order to join a squad that has.

An IC that hasn't succumbed can join anyone they want. An IC that has may only join one that has. It's that simple.

Moros
07-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Learn to read, in the BA codex under Red Thirst it says that after the roll of 1 the entire "squad" gets red thirst. Since you roll for thirst after deployment, any ICs attached to a unit are now part of the squad. They do indeed get red thirst on them if the unit they are attached to does. Plain and simple.

Tynskel
07-19-2012, 03:31 PM
yup!

DarkLink
07-19-2012, 03:41 PM
That's an interesting point. Good to know.

Learn to read

This is a place for friendly discussion. In future posts, leave off the dickery and stick to the informative part. Unless it's yet another person who can't seem to understand the unusual weapon rules. Those arguments make me want to bang my head against the wall.

Angelofblades
07-19-2012, 04:05 PM
So what happens when you start an IC in a unit that then rolls a "1" for Red thirst, then that IC leaves the unit or the unit is killed around the IC. Is that IC still affected by a rule they do not have?

Foreigner
07-19-2012, 05:38 PM
So what happens when you start an IC in a unit that then rolls a "1" for Red thirst, then that IC leaves the unit or the unit is killed around the IC. Is that IC still affected by a rule they do not have?

In 6th Ed, when a IC joins a unit it for almost all purposes ceases to be anything other than just another model in that unit.

If a chaplain joins a tactical squad during deployment, and they then roll a 1 on thirst, the unit gets the rules, including the chaplain, as he is simply just another part of the unit.

If the tactical squad should later die, or the chaplain simply wishes to go elsewhere, he could only join other units that have Thirsted, or a Death Company unit should you have one.

Red Thirst is not a USR, it is not lost or gained by adding models to units. The Tactical squad has red thirst. At the time you roll for red thirst, the Chaplain IS the tactical squad, so he would abide by their roll.

Angelofblades
07-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks!!

Part of me is still thinking 5th ed I think, but that clears it up!

Wolfshade
07-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Learn to read, in the BA codex under Red Thirst it says that after the roll of 1 the entire "squad" gets red thirst. Since you roll for thirst after deployment, any ICs attached to a unit are now part of the squad. They do indeed get red thirst on them if the unit they are attached to does. Plain and simple.

So an IC can get effected by a special rule that his own codex entry doesn't say that he has?
If he were to then leave that squad would he still have the rule as part of the inherited rule?