PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles immune to LD checks?

Aramel
07-17-2012, 09:22 PM
In the general rules at the beginning of the rulebook it states that if a unit has a characteristic value of 0 or - it automatically fails the respective characteristic test. However it does not metion what happens if you try to force a unit with no LD value to take a leadership test.

I assume you can't, but the only reason I ask is to see if the "Dominate" power in the Telepathy tree can be used against vehicles. It's a malediction power, so would not need a roll of 6 to first affect a flyer. I seriously doubt vehicles would auto fail though, as amusing as it might be to prevent a squadron (or two if you are Eldrad) of vendettas from doing anything.

I've not been able to find an answer in the general rules, vehicle rules (pg. 76 says only that vehicles are immune to Morale checks) or psychic power rules so far. Has anyone had better luck?

Caldera02
07-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Couple of reasons. Vehicles never have to take morale tests which are specific leaderships tests. Taking that a step further, vehicles don't even have a LD value. No 0 value or - value, just none listed. So the automatic fail rule doesn't come into play there. The only vehicles that ever need to roll leadership are those that use psychic powers and they have very specific codex rules that say it's only using LD for those tests period.

DarkLink
07-17-2012, 10:26 PM
If anyone tries to argue that you can use it, ask what leadership value you use for the test. They'll probably say 10, but you can just point out that nowhere does the vehicle generally get a ld of 10. They use it for the psychic pilot rule, but that has nothing to do with what's going on here, so it doesn't apply. And since there's no leadership to even use for the test, and you can't claim that you auto-fail the test as you pointed out, the whole argument is on an extremely tedious ground right from the start.

If you can't find clear justification to allow you to do something in the rules, you probably can't do it.

Thanatos_elNyx
07-18-2012, 02:34 AM
The rule that says they are immune to Morale Checks is probably a mistake.
I foresee them errataing to AutoPass Ld checks that aren't Psychic Tests.

Wildeybeast
07-18-2012, 11:58 AM
There is a more detailed (though not very helpful) discussion on it here (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=22793).

Bean
07-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Upshot is that you can absolutely target a vehicle with Dominate, but it will have no effect, because the vehicle has to fail a leadership test in order for Dominate to have an effect and Vehicles cannot fail leadership tests. (It's not clear how a vehicle would even take a leadership test in the first place, lacking, as it does, a leadership value.)

The conclusion that a Vehicle can never be obligated to take a leadership test isn't warranted, but the conclusion that a Vehicle can never fail a leadership test is inescapable (though there are a handful of situations in which specific special rules allow both to happen).

daboarder
07-18-2012, 09:09 PM
or the vehicle automatically fails the leadership test as it has no value to roll under.

DarkLink
07-18-2012, 11:53 PM
or the vehicle automatically fails the leadership test as it has no value to roll under.

Quote the rule that states you automatically fail leadership tests if you don't have a leadership value at all.

Again, if you have to jump through hoops to justify something, you probably can't do it. And you have to jump through a lot of hoops to claim to use Dominate.

The Madman
07-19-2012, 04:40 AM
to my knowledge vehicles have never been affected by LD based tests so i don't think they would have made an exception for this edition.

DarkLink
07-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah. You've never been able to do it, there aren't any rules stating that you can do it now, and you have to jump through half a dozen different loopholes to even try and theoretically justify it in one unusual case. So why would anyone think that you can do it? That's not how the rules work. If you cannot clearly justify why you are able to do something, then you can't do it, and you cannot clearly justify being able to use dominate on a vehicle.