PDA

View Full Version : Vraks Renegades vs. Imperial Guard- who to take for allies?

Black Hydra
07-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Well the title says it all. I'm starting a Chaos force that will have CSM as the star army. But I definitely am going for an Alpha Legion/Word Bearers feel (that Dark Apostle is too damn awesome not to include). So I want to use regular humies to back up my guys. The question remains, who to take? Imperial Guard or Vraksian Renegades?

The pros and cons of the armies are actually more varied than the common player would think, especially after switching over to 6th ed. Now I haven't played against 6th ed yet (Gods I want to get back home!) much less against Guard, but I imagine mech IG aren't at 100% anymore.

Vraksian Renegades, pros & cons:
Pros

- Enforcers are more readily available than Commissars. IG can't take them in Veteran squads but renegades can add Enforcers to their Armoured Fist companies.

- When a unit fails its Morale Test and has an Enforcer, he kills the sarge and the unit auto passes the test. IG have to reroll the test and while it's a small chance, it's still a chance they can fail.

- Taking Alpha Legionnaires as Elites. For a CSM player this has a twofold advantage. These Alpha guys can infiltrate if not in a transport and are basically regular CSM. But since the only other infiltrators in the CSM codex currently being the Chosen and rumors pointing towards no Legion rules, the Alpha guys are cheaper to run and only really compete with Disciples of Xaphan which I think are good but not better.

Cons

- Their psykers suck. At least the vanilla renegades do. While they aren't completely terrible, 2 or 3 of their abilities don't mesh well with them. Such as Warp Fist being a powerfist and yet they hit at WS2. Becoming Possessed actually seems to be better but that won't always happen. It's better to take a Primaris Psyker.

- Lack of Fliers and lack of the ability to take tank squadrons. Will get to that in the IG part.

- Random leadership. This is somewhat mitigated by Vox-casters and Enforcers but even a command squad has random leadership. Not very good since it's the only one of 2 HQ choices you can take.

- Apparently they have no orders available neither.

Unknown Factor
- I don't know if I should take Arkoss the Faithless. He might be better than a command squad and I'd pair him up with the Alpha Legionnaires but I don't think he has Infiltrate which would really suck.

Imperial Guard, pros & cons:
Pros

- Access to really good Fliers. Great for outflanking with Vendettas and great anti-flyer power.

- Can squadron up tanks, so if I have points I can have 2 Leman Russes rather than one, but I don't know how effective they really are due to hullpoints.

- The Primaris Psyker is a great Psyker and counts towards the FOC HQ slot, unlike renegade psykers. They can also take 2 BRB powers instead of the renegades 1 BRB power.

- Lots of melta, especially if I do use IG, I'd use veterans in Chimeras.

- Basilisks: need I say more? (Though renegades can take those, I can squadron these.)

- Having orders.

Cons

- Compared to renegades, the most glaring one is to reroll the Morale Test when your Commi kills the sarge. Also since I'm going with vets, I can't take commissars with them, so I'd have to take a platoon for that.

- Access to cheaper Chosen. While the Alphas aren't the same as Chosen, I'd rather take them. The IG alternative would be Stormtroopers and while I believe they are good too, they'd be a bigger points sink. You don't want that with allies. Also the rest of the IG elites aren't to my liking. (Though I've been thinking about using WFB minotaurs as ogryn. Already have some Beastmen almost completely converted to guardsmen. Hmmm....)

Welp that's all I can really think about right now. As you can see I can't really make up my mind. While IG have some serious vehicle advantages, points-cost and hullpoints really make me reconsider them. Plus I'm only really going to be using vets in chimeras/armoured fist companies. The extra stuff will include the elites and tanks as well as what HQ to get.

Here's an interesting thing I found:

Forgeworld humies: the new FAQ that came out says that all Imperial Guard regiments basically count as regular Imperial Guard for the purposes of allies. Right now IG are only Allies of Convenience with CSM, but the rumored Traitor Guards rule will most likely make them Battle Brothers.

Does this mean that Elysian Drop Troops, Death Korps, and all others will be able to be taken as BB's for CSM?

That one is more food for thought though. The main question remains who is better IG or Renegades as allies for CSM?

Sorry for the long winded post. If you don't want to read it that's fine, but an opinion on the question is appreciated. Thanks for reading if you did!

Tetsugaku
07-20-2012, 06:08 AM
You have failed to ask the only question you should ever ask.

Which do I think looks cooler?

Black Hydra
07-20-2012, 09:48 PM
You have failed to ask the only question you should ever ask.

Which do I think looks cooler?

Oh you think you are so clever. Ironically that doesn't matter since I'm greenstuffing some Cadians to look more Chaos like. I can't afford Forgeworld stuff so the Vraks models are out of the question. And Cadians make perfect templates. So yah pointless for me to ask which looks better.

But I guess this thread was pointless to begin with.

The AKH
07-21-2012, 12:04 AM
I believe the latest download says that Renegade armies are Battle Brothers with CSM? That might tip the scales for you.

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
07-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Agreed with The AKH only renegade armies are Battle Brothers, guard are highly unlikely to ever be BB's with CSM :)

Black Hydra
07-21-2012, 09:22 AM
With the new CSM coming out, the suspected Traitor guard rule will most likely make the IG BB's with them. So I have to take that into account at least until the new codex comes out.

What I need to know is if IG/renegade vehicles took a big nerf. If they didn't then maybe IG are better. If they did then I'll go with renegades. Are Chimeras still reliable? Because my original plan was to take vets in Chimeras or two renegade Armored Fist Companies. If Chimeras suck then I'll take platoons or workers rabble. Really the vehicles being reliable is what I need to know.

Thanks for your responses as well The AKH and Corvus Master.

The AKH
07-21-2012, 04:50 PM
It would help if you clarified what you mean by "reliable". Chimeras are still AV12, which makes them small-arms proof - nothing short of a krak grenade/autocannon is going to be putting a dent in it. This makes them slightly more resilient than, say a Rhino, but they are still toned down by the new Hull Point rules.

High-volume weaponry (Multilasers/Heavy Bolters) means that they're decent mobile fire support as well - even when snap-firing, a 3/4 shot weapon stands a chance of maybe hitting once or so.

Black Hydra
07-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Reliable as in the vehicle not getting shot to pieces too soon. Rhinos may have less front armor but they are 11 on the sides as well. This means bolters won't be killing them any time soon unlike Chimeras with side armor 10. But that isn't the point. If vehicles are dying easier I might choose to field bigger squads such as Workers Rabble or Platoons.

Chimeras being good fire support is a good point. But it doesn't make it any easier to choose between renegades and IG. I think I'll just wait till I get back in 2 weeks to try out the lists. Thanks again for the input.

The AKH
07-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Advancing your Chimeras line abreast does a wonderful job of screening your side armour from pesky bolters and the like. Whether or not you'll have better luck with vehicles or with larger infantry blocks really comes down to your style of play. And while the possibility exists, it's not exactly easy to score a glancing hit on AV10, even with an entire Space Marine Tactical Squad double-tapping. I speak from experience. Vehicles are no longer invincible metal bawkses, but they aren't paper mockups, either.

Renegade
07-22-2012, 06:17 AM
I have one of the Vraks books, and unless it has been changed, HBlades and HTallons are a heavy support choice.

Black Hydra
07-22-2012, 08:10 AM
@The AKH: I could have sworn I responded to your post yesterday. Internet must have hiccoughed and not posted my response. Either way thanks for the input. Running guys in Chimeras is much cheaper than running big infantry blobs. It still doesn't help me decide between the 2 armies but I think I'll just go with renegades. Losing access to the Primaris Psyker and Fliers sucks but all my squads can take Enforcers (vets don't get commissars) and renegades get access to the Salamander which I hear is good.

So renegades are for now my 1st choice.

@Renegade: I'm looking at the updated list from Forgeworld: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA5_RH.pdf (the link still works even though it's been taken down) and it doesn't show any Fliers as Heavy Support. Shame but the Hell Fliers might have been a part of the Chaos Space Marine section rather than the Renegades section.

Tetsugaku
07-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Oh you think you are so clever. Ironically that doesn't matter since I'm greenstuffing some Cadians to look more Chaos like. I can't afford Forgeworld stuff so the Vraks models are out of the question. And Cadians make perfect templates. So yah pointless for me to ask which looks better.

But I guess this thread was pointless to begin with.

Well that's not very nice, I was just trying to help.

I can't get my head round people who make lists to be competitive, just pick whatever looks cool and run with it.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Well that's not very nice, I was just trying to help.

I can't get my head round people who make lists to be competitive, just pick whatever looks cool and run with it.Thing is, guardsmen is guardsmen, regardless of however spikey/imperial they may be, so models aren't really a deciding factor. I could use Cadians with the Vraks list or Vraks with C:IG. In such a case, might as well pick the ruleset which complements the main army/playstyle the most.

Plus, rules are important from a thematic standpoint - when I finally get around to making Guard support for my Tzeentch marines, I'll definitely be using C:IG rather than Vraks, since the IG have Psyker squads and a Psyker HQ - perfect for Thrall wizards.

Black Hydra
07-22-2012, 09:20 AM
@Tetsugaku: Sorry but when you posted that it came across as debasing my whole post. The only thing that matters is what looks cool? Yes it's nice to have an army that one likes. But I want to build a good army tactics wise to challenge my friends and have engaging matches.

I really am sorry for being a jerk. I'll try to be more positive with people's posts.

Black Hydra
07-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Tiberius, I could learn something from you. Thanks for posting that.

Tetsugaku
07-23-2012, 02:05 AM
@Tetsugaku: Sorry but when you posted that it came across as debasing my whole post. The only thing that matters is what looks cool? Yes it's nice to have an army that one likes. But I want to build a good army tactics wise to challenge my friends and have engaging matches.

I really am sorry for being a jerk. I'll try to be more positive with people's posts.

Don't worry it's ok - things can very easily be taken the wrong way in the written word, good luck with the list :)

Black Hydra
07-23-2012, 09:05 AM
@Tetsugaku: Thanks for understanding. :)

As a general note, I think I'm going with Renegades. Having Enforcers in my armored companies is much better than not having commissars in my vet squads. Also I have a converted renegade Primaris Psyker but I can easily turn him into a preacher or something. I'll hold off on my final decision until the new CSM codex comes out. Maybe the new Flier will be good and most likely the Traitor Guard rule will turn IG into BB's for CSM. Right now they aren't so it wouldn't work out too well.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Before you alter the primaris - have you seen how FW's psyker update (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/p/Psykers.pdf) affected Vraks psykers? They've been improved a bit - rolls of 1 now allow you to pick a power instead of giving you no power (although you lose a point of Ld). Makes 'em a bit more reliable. (Also, there's a new FW character update (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/c/Characters.pdf), Arkos is back.) Pairing an Arkos/Alpha Legion focused Vraks Army with Daemons seems like a nice way of doing up all the facets of Chaos.

Black Hydra
07-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Problem with Renegade Psykers is that they still are WS/BS2 which doesn't help much. I'd actually want them to fail a Ld test to become possessed because it seems to be better. Also the problem with Arkos is that first he doesn't have Infiltrate which is the silliest thing in the world. He can't infiltrate alongside his Alpha Legionnaires (unless in 6th ed it doesn't matter and they can infiltrate together anyway). His only real use is as a Warlord for the rerolls he provides. Also since Rhinos only accommodate 10 I'd have to have a 9 man legionnaire unit with him in it. It seems to be the only way to run him. Counter attack is nice but he really needs Infiltrate.

I don't really want Daemons in my army. Don't like them too much. I can't run renegades, CSM, and daemons anyway right? And I do want CSM as my main force anyway with some humie support.

I'm actually considering the IG again. Reason is the rumors say the Dark Apostle might be making a comeback. If this is true then he can provide moral support for my traitor IG. This would allow me to keep the Primaris Psyker, use Valks and so forth.

Addendum: It seems Arkos is daemonic which is nice. Still not sure on him though.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-24-2012, 03:41 PM
:P On the note of Daemons, I was more wondering about the possibilities than suggesting for ya' to use 'em (Epidemus+the Nurgle Heretics FW list would be filthyyyyy). Can't quite run CSM/Daemons/Heretics as one, but something close to it can be pulled off since the Heretics lists include CSM as Elites and HQs.

And Infiltrate works on the unit as long as at least one model has it, so Arkio can infiltrate alongside Legionnaires. Actually, that's probably why he doesn't have it, or else he could give it to any unit he could join - imagine taking a giant Combined Squad of militia, filled with Autocannons, and Infilitrating 'em.

Black Hydra
07-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Filthy in all respects my friend, ha! But yeah I like Chaos Space Marines too much to relegate them as secondary forces. After all you can only have one squad of them in the Heretics list. Also not much of a fan of Nurgle. If I were going for one of the Heretic lists based on a God I'd go for the Khorne one to make a legit Blood Pact army.

As for Arkos it makes much more sense that a squad with Infiltrate can have an non-infiltrating HQ and still Infiltrate. Good, makes me want to actually use him to some extent.

I've been thinking about using the IG because a platoon might actually be cheaper and I want to use my converted Beastmen as Penal Legion soldiers. Why would I use such a horrible unit you ask? Well for what they were meant to do. Be cannon fodder. I'm going to be using Cultists in my CSM army to get Terminators into the action faster. But Culties are too fragile and while cover saves from intervening squads may be 5+ standard, scouting the Beastmen forward to cover the Cultists seems like a good idea.

Edit: forgot to mention that the Primaris Psyker backing up the platoon is also great. One of the few instances I wouldn't trade out his powers for BRB ones as that shroud ability could protect my guardsmen.