PDA

View Full Version : Can Tyranids EVER Use the Fortifications' Guns?

Chris Copeland
07-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Please forgive me if this has already been covered elsewhere. Also, please forgive me if the answer is obvious from the rules/Tyranid FAQ. I am on vacation and don't have my shiny new rulebook with me. Also, reading things on the interwebz on a tiny little cell-phone screen is painful. So, here goes:

Are there any Fortification Guns that I can use as a Tyranid player? Any at all? I am considering making some Aegis Defense Lines (Bug style) when I get back to Texas but I don't know if I should model up the guns that go with it (again, Bug style).

It seems to me that I could make a pretty good "counts-as" Tyranid buildings: all the way from Aegis defense lines to the Fortress of Redemption... I could easily model buggy things with the same basic footprint and dimensions. So: are there any guns I can use?

Tepogue
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Per the FAQ, Tyranids may never fire the emplaced guns, BUT it said nothing about the guns automatically firing.

See page 96 Automated Fire.

So for a Tyranid Player, I'm seeing it as buy an Aegis Defence Line, plop a cheap Termagant squad inside the line. Buy the Quad Gun so that the gun will shoot during the enemies turn at one of the flyerthat came in from reserve with BS 2 ( BS derived from the automatic shooting rules)

Or it will shoot at the nearest enemy unit at the end of the Tyranid Shooting Phase.

Either way, I think I just found a decent shooting gun for my Bugs.

Think I'll model the Quad Gun as a Tyranid Warrior with just 4 loing barrelled gun arms and have his legs just looking like they are deeply stuck into the ground to show atability but no movement capability.

Chris Copeland
07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
D'oh! Wrong forum! Stupid tiny cell-phone screen! This should be in rules!

KrewL RaiN
07-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Think I'll model the Quad Gun as a Tyranid Warrior with just 4 loing barrelled gun arms and have his legs just looking like they are deeply stuck into the ground to show atability but no movement capability.

If you have any left over T-fex guns, like the acid spray or rupture cannon, I would use that. Maybe have some giant harpoon like thing sticking out of the barrel. Fluff wise, it could be a giant variation of the Hive Guards harpoons (not heat seeking and way larger).

the jeske
07-16-2012, 04:14 PM
aegis sucks anyway . fortification are deployed before anything else . So your opponent will just plop a wall/hill/anything in front of it and it will do absolutly nothing.

Chris Copeland
07-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Wow, Jeske. Who do you play with? Would that really happen in the gaming group you play with? That would never fly with the guys I play with. Anyone who pulled such nonsense would quickly find themselves unable to procure a game with the local crowd. Ouch.

Tynskel
07-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Wow, Jeske. Who do you play with? Would that really happen in the gaming group you play with? That would never fly with the guys I play with. Anyone who pulled such nonsense would quickly find themselves unable to procure a game with the local crowd. Ouch.

Yeah, that sounds like a good gaming group. Cheese should be frowned upon.

apahllo
07-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a good gaming group. Cheese should be frowned upon.

Well yes it should be frowned upon in friendly games. But competition is a healthy thing when your preparing for tournaments and such. For instance I have a group of friends that i play with every week and about once a month we will play an extra game for a trophy, we call it playing for pinks:D
It's A LOT of fun. Most of the games are neck and neck but we are extremely competitive during the pinks game. We aren't just sitting around letting each other do whatever. It also makes our non competitive games a laugh fest most of the time. And changes things up. For instance I used to lose every 1 in 10 games but upon playing more competitive games and my friends learning stratigies and how to use units the way the are supposed to, this has become more 50/50 win/loss
But some people like competition more than others and thats alright if you want to be laid back. Being a complete meta gamer and rolling out with cheese every game is one thing but a running the gauntlet is extremely heathy for your non competitive games. And it also helps getting rid of mistakes and errors in your knowledge of the game.

As for the fortifications go, don't even bother unless it's just for fun, bs2 is almost annoying... I'd suggest using harpies and flying hive tyrants. Harpies are where it's at, a lot of fun and usable for everything!!

Tynskel
07-16-2012, 06:38 PM
harpies. The 2 main gun choices are Blast. The Salvo and Vector Strike are only str 5. It'll work against weak flyers, but not so well at heavily armed ones.

apahllo
07-16-2012, 07:21 PM
harpies. The 2 main gun choices are Blast. The Salvo and Vector Strike are only str 5. It'll work against weak flyers, but not so well at heavily armed ones.

strength 9, heavy v cannon..tl. not a salvo. and 2d6 armour pen hitting on 3s for vector strikes. ya, its really easy to kill flyers that way, plus you can shoot another gun, at another target! since hvc is a blast weapon, no need for snap shots, and im not sure about this but i think you can smash in you vector strikes, which means you need a 3 with 2 dice to pen any flyer. and re rolls on pen scores.:eek:
with regen for 185 points, yes please.
-and smash says cc attacks which are vector strikes, so if they are next to flying hive tyrant with old adversary! reroll hits and pen rolls.

Melon-neko
07-16-2012, 08:35 PM
strength 9, heavy v cannon..tl. not a salvo. and 2d6 armour pen hitting on 3s for vector strikes. ya, its really easy to kill flyers that way, plus you can shoot another gun, at another target! since hvc is a blast weapon, no need for snap shots, and im not sure about this but i think you can smash in you vector strikes, which means you need a 3 with 2 dice to pen any flyer. and re rolls on pen scores.:eek:
-and smash says cc attacks which are vector strikes, so if they are next to flying hive tyrant with old adversary! reroll hits and pen rolls.

You have the rules quite wrong, sorry.

Blast templates cannot hit flyers
vector strikes are always at unmodified strength
monstrous creatures do not roll 2d6 for armour penetration
and I have no idea where you got that harpies could shoot at two different targets.

apahllo
07-16-2012, 09:25 PM
You have the rules quite wrong, sorry.

Blast templates cannot hit flyers
vector strikes are always at unmodified strength
monstrous creatures do not roll 2d6 for armour penetration
and I have no idea where you got that harpies could shoot at two different targets.

I will read up on this. And harpies most def can vector strike and the shoot a different target.. So I gues it is a long shot against flyers but I guess I did go a bit far, it's hard to get 5th out of my head:confused:

Guess I was wrong... Sorry everyone

But on vectors, you can use smash, unless gw feels like making bids completely **** in the new rules...

Melon-neko
07-16-2012, 10:24 PM
I will read up on this. And harpies most def can vector strike and the shoot a different target.. So I gues it is a long shot against flyers but I guess I did go a bit far, it's hard to get 5th out of my head:confused:

Guess I was wrong... Sorry everyone

But on vectors, you can use smash, unless gw feels like making bids completely **** in the new rules...

You said shoot another gun at another target. Maybe you made a typo somewhere I dunno. You can shoot at a different target than you used vector strike on though, that is correct.

Smash does not work with vector strike, at all. Smash works on close combat attacks, vector strike is not a close combat attack, its a special attack done in the movement phase with its own rules. (d3+1 attacks at unmodified strength and ap3)

apahllo
07-16-2012, 11:24 PM
You said shoot another gun at another target. Maybe you made a typo somewhere I dunno. You can shoot at a different target than you used vector strike on though, that is correct.

Smash does not work with vector strike, at all. Smash works on close combat attacks, vector strike is not a close combat attack, its a special attack done in the movement phase with its own rules. (d3+1 attacks at unmodified strength and ap3)

Ya I ment it to be after vector strike.
But the vector strike/smash is pretty vague because they are cc attack( hive tyrant with no guns can pull it off) it wouldn't make for them not to be able to smash. But then again 40k is very far from "realistic"

But to another point... This is just final about nids having absolutely no AA. Best thing would be to snap shot hive guard at flyers and pray for a second 6 or 5.
AND flyers are way to op. shooting 4 guns and needing sky fire to hit regularly... Sweet, not to mention how cheap the are...

the jeske
07-17-2012, 09:45 AM

you know friendly or not this is how the rules work you deploy forts before other terrain . And its not just for nids [although it does hurt them a lot if they are facing a flyer hvy list] . By the way I wasnt the one who noticed it but a guy from RPA . I would not do it[my army has 0 flyers so I dont care about a gun] , but the fact I wouldnt and you wouldnt , doesnt mean that it wont happen . Better am almost sure it will , just like rhino/range/LoS sniping and stuff like that.

the problem with tyrant vs flyer builds is that they shot a lot and every hit isa 30% chance for him to drop down and take a str 9 hit . If it wasnt for that it would be a lot better for nids.

Lockark
07-17-2012, 10:37 AM

Pg.81, top paragraph. Template, blast, and Large Blast weapons cannon hit Flyers in Zoom Mode. The last Codex turned the Venom Cannon into a blast weapon..... Their for Harpies can't shoot their Heavy Venomcannon at other fliers. (Unless it's something like a Valk, that can go into hover mode. Then you can shoot it.)