PDA

View Full Version : New Vanilla Space Marine Codex miles off?

Denzark
07-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Chaps

Looking at the Studio New update thread. Had a thought and didn't want to hijack it. I reckon the new marine codex is actually miles off.

The reason I reckon that is the digital release. GW have shown and proven they will do free updates I understand. But I can't see them updating a digital codex across editions for free. Because this would mean you could buy one and never buy another for eternity cutting off a revenue stream.

This leads me to the conclusion that the Marine Codex will not be hot on the heels of the new edition - because they wouldn't shove such an outright fist in the knackers of them what bought the digital codex.

I mean they are bad, but not that bad. What, at least a 12-18 month gap seem a bit reasonable? Particularly if the flagship race has its flier incorporated and so is 6th compatible.

Thoughts out there?

PS hopefully without it degenerating into 'yeah actually GW would be so pants as to render the SM digicodex obsolete this quickly - not like my beloved PP etc etc...'

Tynskel
07-15-2012, 12:06 PM
I think it is pretty clear that the next Space Marine Codex to come out will be the Codex Unforgiven.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
It does seem kinda weird.

Maybe the vanilla marines 'dex IS next, but it has Dark Angels as the posterboys rather than Ultras? /shrug

Renegade
07-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I think GW has cottoned on that they have many others that need updating first, so I reckon it will be around 2 years before the codex gets a new release.

I think it will work a bit like this:

CSM
DA
Tau/Eldar
BT
Eldar/Nids
SoB/SM
Nids/CD
SM
CD
and then rotate oldest/strongest 5ed codices.

apahllo
07-15-2012, 12:49 PM
It does seem kinda weird.

Maybe the vanilla marines 'dex IS next, but it has Dark Angels as the posterboys rather than Ultras? /shrug

not even funny. i wouldnt want them to be the poster boys. besides, they couldnt do that to the ultra marines or the unforgiven.

but the vanilla dex does seem a bit far off. and idk how these digital ones work? when the new release comes out do i get a discount for the upgrade or scrap the old one or will it just be an update.

the jeske
07-15-2012, 01:55 PM
the moment GW makes FW no question asked legal sm dex marines will get the biggest update , bigger then some codex . Which more or less makes them first codex in 6th.

Mr Mystery
07-15-2012, 02:20 PM
We may not see one for a while. Not only is it Digital and thus updateable, but also....they just don't need it

They remain the baseline army of 40k, neither stuggling nor excelling against any given situation. They don't really need any new units, and to add stuff for the sake of adding it is to risk dilution or worse, duplication.

Montserrat
07-15-2012, 05:28 PM
We may not see one for a while. Not only is it Digital and thus updateable, but also....they just don't need it

They remain the baseline army of 40k, neither stuggling nor excelling against any given situation. They don't really need any new units, and to add stuff for the sake of adding it is to risk dilution or worse, duplication.

This.