PDA

View Full Version : Equipping WYSIWYG Reaver Jetbikes for 6th Edition

The Sovereign
07-14-2012, 12:30 PM
How should I equip a squad of six? I'm fuzzy on the new rules, and I've never used jetbikes before. My understanding is that they're good in 6th Edition. I've already assembled three, two stock and one with a blaster. For my other three I was thinking about giving one a blaster, leaving one stock, and making the sixth an Arena Champion, due to fluffiness and the new Challenge rules. Should I bother with cluster caltrops?

Thanks for the help.

Melon-neko
07-14-2012, 01:48 PM
How should I equip a squad of six? I'm fuzzy on the new rules, and I've never used jetbikes before. My understanding is that they're good in 6th Edition. I've already assembled three, two stock and one with a blaster. For my other three I was thinking about giving one a blaster, leaving one stock, and making the sixth an Arena Champion, due to fluffiness and the new Challenge rules. Should I bother with cluster caltrops?

Thanks for the help.

I do way more damage with the cluster caltrops than i ever could shooting with reavers. A unit of 6 flies over a unit and does 2d6 s6 hits and 4d3 s4 hits. Their guns are only there for vehicle killing, which they got much better at due to how skilled rider works now (IE, no dangerous terrain check, so you don't have to avoid terrain as much as before)

What really makes the reavers better imo is that they can move 12" and then turbo boost 36", this lets them use their caltrops easier while ending up in a more advantageous location.

I never bothered with arena champions and now that you can rally at 25% or higher and within 6" of an enemy, i'm not sure I ever will. If i did take one though, I think i would give him a power maul for a follow up charge on vehicles i failed to kill with blasters.

Archon Charybdis
07-14-2012, 04:27 PM
In 5th I preferred Heat Lances to Blasters, but with larger charge distances in 6th I can see them being a much riskier proposition. I think Melon-Neko is right on the money though, with Jetbikes enhanced movement and Skilled Rider now ignoring dangerous terrain outright, Cluster Caltrops are the way to go.