PDA

View Full Version : Shooting question

Mars Ultor
07-14-2012, 09:30 AM
I've only played a few BFG games so far, but this is a situation I have found several times because so many of the weapons ranges are 30cm: one fleet moves but can't shoot yet because they're out of range of most of their 30 cm guns. This allows the other fleet to move right up within 30 cm and blast the bejeezus out of the first fleet, who then can't mount much of an attack back. Game basically over (at least for that part of the board).

As I see it, the alternating turn method means that the game can be played either this way (above) or with both fleets trying to trying to cat-and-mouse each other into getting into range. Not as much fun. I would think that once you got into firing range both fleets would unload at each other, not allow your enemy to get in range and sit there.

Are there ways to make it a little more simultaneous (at least in the shooting phase) so that one fleet is not sitting there getting blasted to bits while not shooting back? Is there anything in the Warprift rules like this, or maybe even taking a leadership roll to return fire for each ship being targeted or for ones that are destroyed/crippled/dammaged?

Thanks for any wisdom imparted.

horizon
07-20-2012, 03:03 AM
Hi,
soon the site'll be back and then check out some older warp rifts. It has rules for simultanous movement etc

Alex Knight
07-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Copious use of torpedoes and Nova Cannons to break up your opponent's formations, along with maneuver and special orders can help. Brace for Impact can occasionally help some of that.

That's my sentiments. I agree that something less "I go, you go!" is preferrable. I'd consider something like LotR where you roll for initiative each turn (based on the Ld of your flagship?) and I move, you move, I shoot, you shoot. Or some variation there-of.

Mars Ultor
07-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi,
soon the site'll be back and then check out some older warp rifts. It has rules for simultanous movement etc

Thanks for the input, guys. Do you perchance know which Warprift issue handles simultaneous movement, etc.?