PDA

View Full Version : OMG... Is the new White Dwarf Model a SQUAT?

oni
09-28-2009, 07:40 AM
This is the new WD subscription model. I'll leave the opinions and speculations up to you, but I have a hard time believing this is a fantasy model.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m500059a_WDSubModelXL.jpg

Lord Azaghul
09-28-2009, 07:42 AM
I hope, I hope, I hope!

I'm a great dwarf fan - if squats return I may have to buy a second 40k army!

Xas
09-28-2009, 07:55 AM
if it were a fantasy modell it would have a quadratic base, not a round one :)

although it looks to much like humor + armageddon astronaut's uniform + general GW characters mixed together to be a hint for squads.

on the toher hand my nec buddy might have to pay me a new army if squads came out before the new necs (long story, nice bet :D)

clkeagle
09-28-2009, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't hold your breath. If anything, I think this "gag" model is a gigantic middle finger extended to everyone who asks Studio members if the Squats will return.

Aenir
09-28-2009, 08:19 AM
he might make a good SM Techmarine

Mike X
09-28-2009, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't hold your breath. If anything, I think this "gag" model is a gigantic middle finger extended to everyone who asks Studio members if the Squats will return.

Which I find to be friggin' hilarious, since I hate Squats and hope they never return.

ac4155
09-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Which I find to be friggin' hilarious, since I hate Squats and hope they never return.

same, i dont like the squats.

but the more i look at the model the more like the sculpt but not the model in its self.

ac

Brass Scorpion
09-28-2009, 10:13 AM
This model will drive the Squat conspiracy theorists crazy. ;)

BDub
09-28-2009, 10:43 AM

Oddly enough, I have been playing long enough and have become cynical enough to believe this.

sangrail777
09-28-2009, 10:44 AM
hhmmm....thought it was kinda a White Dwarf and Black Gobbo in Halloween costumes kinda thing. Although I can see how this could make squat lovers get over excited. But I think my idea is more likely.

Shadowseer
09-28-2009, 10:47 AM
ROFLMAO grot with Alien costum XD

Herald of Nurgle
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
How about another theory...

CHAOS DWARVES

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
09-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I have an old box from when they were called space dwarfs just started painting a couple a few weeks ago.I would love to see them make a come back,but it seems highly unlikely from a game mechanics standpoint (line of site,movement ect.).I think sangrail hit it on the head,appears to be white dwarf in a halloween costume.

What a great way to sell an over priced,commercial packed picture book,add a model that can't be used in any game.Two useless things for he price of a dozen,what a deal !Maybe I'm being to harsh,but like I said I've been around games-workshop since squats were called space dwarfs and if there is one thing I've learned its that nobody kicks there fans and customers in the nuts like games-workshop.

Lord Anubis
09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I agree with the Halloween costume theory. When you see the grot (or Black Gobbo) in the gray alien suit with a big zipper, it's hard to believe this is a serious gaming model. :)

It's cute, but I don't know if it's worth having White Dwarf show up here for a year or two... :p

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I guess he was away and at the pub when the Nid's attacked ;)

RocketRollRebel
09-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Very sweet mini. Makes me consider getting a subscription to... I was gonna say its a cruel joke but the Halloween theory makes a lot of sense and lets my wallet relax because if Squats make a comeback... I'd probably be a single man again! Although they are squats... haha

Grabnutz
09-28-2009, 01:40 PM
I assume you all know that Bob Olley never gave up on the squats and has been sculpting them ever since under the name 'Scrunts'?

However, his little company recently went bust under pressure from the corporation who shall not be named. Perhaps this was to open the way for the retunr of the you-know-who's...

Skragger
09-28-2009, 05:35 PM
I assume you all know that Bob Olley never gave up on the squats and has been sculpting them ever since under the name 'Scrunts'?

However, his little company recently went bust under pressure from the corporation who shall not be named. Perhaps this was to open the way for the retunr of the you-know-who's...

AHAHAHA I read that and couldn't stop laughing.. imagine a game:
I'm bringing Chaos Space Marines!
I'm bringing Tyranids!
I'm bringing Imperial Guard
I'm bringing SCRUNTS!

jcroxford
09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Squats would be awesome. They have been missed for a long time. And if this mini is any notion of things to come, I like. Squats with proper beards look much cooler then the trimmed up ones of old days past.

Brass Scorpion
09-28-2009, 11:50 PM
hhmmm....thought it was kinda a White Dwarf and Black Gobbo in Halloween costumes kinda thing. Although I can see how this could make squat lovers get over excited. But I think my idea is more likely.
I think your idea is more likely as well. Nevertheless, Squat lovers are going nuts over it on many forums, vociferously stating how GW should bring them back because they'd make a lot of money, etc. Amazing how this fire gets out of control with very little fuel on it over and over again.

Whenever the Squat topic arises and the Squat enthusiasts get quite worked up it reminds me of a bit of humor from Mystery Science Theater 3000, where a character in the movie being made fun of was referred to as "being like a dog with an old sock, once he gets an idea in his head he won't let go." :D

Lord Azaghul
09-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Hey one of the reasons I got into fantasty was the dwarf army - if GW release a squat army, I would so be bying - I would love to paint and play with a space dwarf themed army, and just thinking of the way it would work...my mind is spinning - I think its a great opportunity for gw to do what they want to with dwarves in fantasty -that makes more sense in space: lots of machinery - lots of mech and tech. They'd be a T4 army with 3 armour, have a bs of 3, but of lots of twin linked shooting. They'd have great armour piercing options, big hammers, relentless weaponry, armour 12 walkers, some sort of stunty drop pods...do many cool possiblies...
and man i hope its not a cruel joke - but with the little gobbo on the back in an alien suit it probably is.:(

Mindless-Focus
09-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Or just do what I'm doing. Give the current fantasy dwarfs guns and gear and us Codex: Space Wolves for rules. Hell, they both have the whole Nordic feel to them...

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
09-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey one of the reasons I got into fantasty was the dwarf army - if GW release a squat army, I would so be bying - I would love to paint and play with a space dwarf themed army, and just thinking of the way it would work...my mind is spinning - I think its a great opportunity for gw to do what they want to with dwarves in fantasty -that makes more sense in space: lots of machinery - lots of mech and tech. They'd be a T4 army with 3 armour, have a bs of 3, but of lots of twin linked shooting. They'd have great armour piercing options, big hammers, relentless weaponry, armour 12 walkers, some sort of stunty drop pods...do many cool possiblies...
and man i hope its not a cruel joke - but with the little gobbo on the back in an alien suit it probably is.:(

Squats were one of the first armies I collected back in the day.Some of the units you have visualized are great some you didn't mention that were in the old version that would be cool remakes are... Bikes-think ork speed freaks and instead of buggies,trikes,they also had psychics in side cars.Squats in terminator armor and I think their 7 man heavies squads could have 5 heavy weapons.Would love to see them make a revamped come back.Probably have a better chance of being struck by a meteor though:(

ChaosLord127
09-30-2009, 10:12 PM
I hope that they don't come back, personally. Hear me out on this though.

1. That got eaten by the Tyranids, there is no recovery unless they plan to completely revamp the fluff regardging squats.
2. They're name is a position that is used to take a dump.
3. I can't size up squats against any other race and picture it as a truly awesome battle, I can only picture bearded midgets in fantasy.
4. Come on, space dwarves?

And for the clock... Squat squat squat.

Lanparth
10-01-2009, 01:24 AM
I'm glad there are no squats anymore. I think they were a painfully stupid army of a 'light hearted' era gone by. Thank goodness this is a joke mini.

Abominable Plague Marine
10-01-2009, 02:16 AM
Please, if not for you, but the sake of your children and your childrens children, say no to Space Dwarfs!

Seriously though, I dont know why people require GW to "bring them back"? You dont need to be talented to convert plastic WHFB Dwarfs (although some creative clipping is required), choose which Codex best suits you and go for it. Conversions ahoy, people who face your army will love it or hate it, no different if GW made the models in my opinion.

Question is, would you say yes to GW adding a new race (or two) requiring a new codex and thus pushing the update cycle back a year or more for all publications?

Logan
10-01-2009, 03:04 AM
Everybody out there who wants to field a squat army so bad should get the cash together for 50 to 100 WD subscriptions and create a Squat army from the figures.
That way they would truly have the most ridiculous force ever assembled, it would make me smile to play against someone so stupid at least.
It is a novelty figure, that is all. If the next one is a rehash of the ancient Santa Claus figure (called Sanity Claws I think) would everyone proclaim the immenent arrival of "The Yule" a brand new festive themed xeno threat to the Imperium?
Anyone who remembers Thrud the Barbarian can tell you that GW used to make a lot of non game-use miniatures most of which were comical (not always funny, but comical).
Lots of people lament the demise of the Squats but very few people actually played them. This is the bad side of nostalgia.
They were poo, bad models and they sucked in game - an assault army with a low move rate!
If they ever resurface it needs to be in a brand new form (Demiurge?) not just a fantasy army with fantasy fluff and guns stuck on as justification for their existence.
And even that is dubious

miteyheroes
10-01-2009, 03:46 AM
I'm glad there are no squats anymore. I think they were a painfully stupid army of a 'light hearted' era gone by. Thank goodness this is a joke mini.

So are orks. Orks moreso, in fact. At least the Squats were played dead-pan, not deliberately out for jokes like orks are.

Logan
10-01-2009, 07:36 AM
So are orks. Orks moreso, in fact. At least the Squats were played dead-pan, not deliberately out for jokes like orks are.

I agree and thats the main reason why I will never have an Ork army, if they were redone mean and serious they could be so cool. But Gremlins style grins and "Nobs" and" Choppers" are purile if you ask me and the bolted on gear look is foolish. Items could be pilfered without becoming cartoon versions of themselves.
I could rant for days but I'm already off topic

RocketRollRebel
10-01-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree and thats the main reason why I will never have an Ork army, if they were redone mean and serious they could be so cool. But Gremlins style grins and "Nobs" and" Choppers" are purile if you ask me and the bolted on gear look is foolish. Items could be pilfered without becoming cartoon versions of themselves.
I could rant for days but I'm already off topic

see to me this is the greatest thing about Orks is their absolute over the top ridiculousness. They add comic relief and silliness which is fun to play as and against. Best xenos for sure ;)

Duke
10-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I can just see all the guys at WD laughing their trash off cause they know this is exactley how we would react. We have all been played like a fiddle, Squats are dead, get over it.

Duke

Lanparth
10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Orks are far more than comic relief. Orks happen to have a real backstory behind them and a bunch of fantasy science and explanations.

Space Dwarves are short fat humies which would move six inches (Which makes no sense given their little legs) and would basically be another guard army, only with power armor. And horrible justification for their existence.

Orks at least embody the "Mad Max" kind of build and look. Dwarves embody short people running around with advanced technology and fill no niche other than being SHORT that hasn't already been filled.

Get. Over. It. They are dead and gone and there are plenty of us who are just happy with that. I wouldn't even play someone if they brought Space Dwarves, even if it was a real army, its so ridiculous and stupid. And yes, I am that much of an *******.