PDA

View Full Version : Outflankers can assault

Bellumvinco
07-12-2012, 12:45 PM
I've seen lots of folks saying Outflankers cannot assault the turn they arrive from reserve.

Infiltration states: A unit that deploys using these rules cannot charge in THE FIRST turn. Not their 1st turn.

I have been reading and re-reading the Reserve and Outflank rules. No where does it say they cannot assualt!
As Outflankers cannot arrive on the First Turn they are free to assault! :)

Aramel
07-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Infiltration states: A unit that deploys using these rules cannot charge in THE FIRST turn. Not their 1st turn.

Right, and outflank units arrive from reserves as you said. On Page 125 it says "Unless stated otherwise, a unit cannot charge, or use any abilities or special rules that must be used at the start of the turn, in the turn it arrives from reserves." So unless your outflanking unit has a separate special rule that allows it to, it cannot assault.

xilton
07-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Yup, reserves can no longer assault no matter the turn they come in unless they have a specific rule about it. This removes advantages like outflanking units charging in or a stormraven/land raider coming in from reserve normally and assaulting that unit just to close to your side of table to your liking.

Wildeybeast
07-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah, they can't assault. My Raven Guard took a real nerf bat hit from this one.

KrewL RaiN
07-12-2012, 03:02 PM
I think the only unit that can still assault out of reserves is Ymgarl Genestealers using their dormant rule.

bfmusashi
07-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Does this mean my squishy little guardsmen are safe from Heroic Intervention now?

kjolnir
07-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I've seen lots of folks saying Outflankers cannot assault the turn they arrive from reserve.

I have been reading and re-reading the Reserve and Outflank rules. No where does it say they cannot assualt!
As Outflankers cannot arrive on the First Turn they are free to assault! :)

That just means first turn Assaults are impossible with an Infiltrating unit.

Infiltrating is not the same as Outflanking.

Nothing coming in from Reserves can Assault the same turn it does so.

kjolnir
07-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Does this mean my squishy little guardsmen are safe from Heroic Intervention now?

Heroic intervention is an example of a specific rule that "states otherwise" as per the BRB.

kjolnir
07-12-2012, 03:24 PM
I think the only unit that can still assault out of reserves is Ymgarl Genestealers using their dormant rule.

Vanguard vets can as well with Heroic Intervention.

DarkLink
07-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah, Heroic Intervention and ymgarls are about the only things I can think of that can show up and assault. Ymgarls are plain evil, you nidz players should have already been taking some, especially now that there will be fewer transports out there to hide in.

Bellumvinco
07-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Right, and outflank units arrive from reserves as you said. On Page 125 it says "Unless stated otherwise, a unit cannot charge, or use any abilities or special rules that must be used at the start of the turn, in the turn it arrives from reserves." So unless your outflanking unit has a separate special rule that allows it to, it cannot assault.

Thank you, I have been looking for this. I knew if I posted a comment someone would tell me where to look. I'm honestly glad they made this change. The Outflank assualt was really restricting the space I could deploy in.

Tynskel
07-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah, Heroic Intervention and ymgarls are about the only things I can think of that can show up and assault. Ymgarls are plain evil, you nidz players should have already been taking some, especially now that there will be fewer transports out there to hide in.

Ymgarls are my favorite Elite Choice in the Codex. Have been since day 1. It has my favorite secret deployment rules AND can assault the turn they arrive AND can modify their statline EVERY round!

KrewL RaiN
07-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Ymgarls are my favorite Elite Choice in the Codex. Have been since day 1. It has my favorite secret deployment rules AND can assault the turn they arrive AND can modify their statline EVERY round!

They are a load of fun game wise and "mess with your opponents head wise". I am defiantly taking them more often now in 6th ed. A funny thing that came to mind was Ymgarls and the Enfeeble (that's the minus strength and toughness by 1 point one right?) Biomancy power vs strength 4 basic infantry. Enfeeble the Ymgarls charge target, and then increase your toughness when you charge (I dunno if this mutate stat change happens on Overwatch shooting...). Those Biomancy powers are making my head go wheeee with all the Tyranid synergy combos you can pull off now.

DarkLink
07-12-2012, 08:22 PM
I am defiantly taking them more often now in 6th ed.

In defiance of what;)?

KrewL RaiN
07-12-2012, 09:10 PM
In defiance of what;)?

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuu dammit Tzeentch stay out of my spellcheck xD

Defiantly*

kjolnir
07-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuu dammit Tzeentch stay out of my spellcheck xD

Defiantly*

Did you mean "definitely"??

SacredChao
07-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Chaos Space Marine Greater Daemons and Lesser Daemons can still assault after they enter from reserves. At least for now. Although the Lesser Daemons are kinda 'meh' and the Greater Daemon is still kind of squishy.

KrewL RaiN
07-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Did you mean "definitely"??

I cant win xD

teecypher
07-14-2012, 07:00 PM
the rule for reserves says you cant use any abbilities at the beginning of the turn but what about assault

vehicles you can disembark the turn you arrive and the rules for assault vehicle says a unit can assault after

disembarking from an assault vehicle

DarkLink
07-14-2012, 07:22 PM
All the assault rule does is let you ignore the normal restriction preventing you from assaulting after disembarking. Nothing more. Otherwise, you could also disembark, Run, and then assault even though Run prevents you from assaulting.