PDA

View Full Version : Summer Campaign!!

Mr Mystery
07-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Local store has just put a poster up on Facebook....

40k Summer Campaign, coming soon....Cadia will fall....

What do we make of this?

Wildeybeast
07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
That the 40K summer campaign will be set around yet another invasion of Cadia? Seems pretty straightforward. Since they stopped publishing fluff and extra rules for these things I really stopped caring. Did anyone actually bother uploading their results for the SoM one last summer?

Mr Mystery
07-11-2012, 03:58 PM
I've been wary of massive narrative campaigns ever since Eye of Terror. Not because the distinctly average result disappointed, but because I based my local Stores campaign around St Josman's Hope, the prison planet. Idea was that Ahriman was looking to invade, then sacrifice the inmates to do something naughty.

And what happened? First day of the Campaign, and St Josman's Hope detonates. Not. Bloody. Amused.

Wildeybeast
07-11-2012, 04:11 PM
I think they made the right call in getting rid of the campaigns which affect the fluff, not least because they always ended in a draw, but having things like the Armageddon and Storm of Chaos expansion books with variant army lists was great. Now it is just a shameless and meaningless plug for the big summer release.

SotonShades
07-12-2012, 04:24 AM
Has anyone else seen anything else like this in any other stores?

My Local GW are all ready running similtaneous 40k and Fantasy Summer Campaigns, both with a form of Escalation to encourage people to play different games/army lists throughout the year. The fantasy one uses set lists for each season of the campaign, with each season having different effects and changing the chances of what missions are played. They also have named generals (no special characters until the last phase) who progress and improve throughout the campaign. The 40k Campaign is map based, with bonuses for defending certain building tiles (or certain special missions for certain tiles).

While What my FLGS are doing doesn't necessarilly indicate GWs plans as a whole, I'd be suspicious of this poster on FB being the first the global community would hear of a big summer campaign from GW. I'd put money on it just being a campaign run in your store.

Wolfshade
07-12-2012, 04:29 AM
Abaddon and the nth black crusade, should just abandon his crusade it will fail!
FTE!

MajorWesJanson
07-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Maybe a replay of the 13th Crusade?

eldargal
07-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Is this is a global campaign or just a local campaign? There was a big fuss a year or two ago where some stores had a summer campaign and people mistook it for a new global campaign of which there hasn't been one since, what, 2005? Medusa V was the last maybe? I forget:rolleyes:).

Wildeybeast
07-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Wasn't the SoM one last year a global one, where you could upload results to the interwebs for no apparent reason? Not that they actually did much to support it, but I think it was global.

eldargal
07-14-2012, 05:51 AM
It wasn't really a campaign though, there were no linked battles or narrative. It was a bit odd really.

Wildeybeast
07-14-2012, 06:11 AM
I think that is the template for global 'campaigns' in the future though. Stores run their own games and encourage folks to upload their results, with a quick bit of coverage in WD. Minimum effort on GW's part, but people still feel 'involved' because their battles are contributing a to a meaningless website.

eldargal
07-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Possibly, but it's really not a global campaign (was the SoM thing called a global campaign? I forget that too:rolleyes:). It's more of a global tournament of sorts.

Wildeybeast
07-14-2012, 06:38 AM
I agree that calling it a campaign is stretching it, the campaigns of old seem to be dead and gone.

Psychosplodge
07-16-2012, 07:31 AM
I thought the 13th black crusade was the last "proper" one?

bfmusashi
07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I thought the 13th was still ongoing with them being stuck on Cadia.

Mr Mystery
07-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Hard to tell. They certainly rescinded Storm of Chaos, so Eye of Terror likewise. If you read the timelines in the army books it appears we're back on approach for EoT.