PDA

View Full Version : Luck, Skill, Other?

Mr Mystery
07-11-2012, 02:43 PM
It's another rambling thread I'm afraid, but then I do them so well!

This one stems from a few conversations with friends where it transpires that I'm regarded as particularly jammy in my life. Not to a ridiculous degree, I mean I'm yet to win the lottery, find a treasure horde or be beating models off with a poopy stick, but things do have a distinct habit of turning out pretty well for me.

Discussing it further, whilst I do acknowledge I do end up in pleasant situations, it's more that I tend to go for things full force, and thus naturally tend to make the best of a given situation. I really am a natural optimist, and as such I don't tend to look gift horses in the mouth. Yet that still doesn't entirely account for the opportunities I'm presented with.

So what's your take on this? Not my situations, but your own opinion on luck. Are there genuinely lucky people out there, for whom nothing ever goes horribly wrong, or is it just a matter of opportunity combining with attitude? Are those who claim to be unlucky simply missing opportunities, their pessimism blinding them? Or is it all just a matter of opinion, with people choosing to downplay their good or bad luck?

Wildeybeast
07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm sure there was an American president (one of the good ones, not the shaved chimp ones) who said something along the lines of 'the harder I work, the more lucky I seem to be'. You make your own luck by making the most of the opportunities that come your way. End of.