PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Shriek

Tepogue
07-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Ok, I was reading a battle report and a Tyranid player was claiming the new Telepathy Primaris Power doesn't need to make a To Hit roll.

Reading the book, I don't see how this is possible. No where in the description is it specifically stated that you gain an exemption from the witchfire trait.

BUT

The power is kinda of odd, in that it is not listed in the normal format of:
Name Range S AP Type

and it just uses 3d6-LD = Wounds ( no armour or cover saves allowed)

So Could a Broodlord with BS 0 even use this power?

Archon Charybdis
07-11-2012, 02:21 PM
There's nothing about Psychic Shriek that would indicate it is exempt from the requirement to hit, even though it doesn't have a typical weapon profile. Its possible they didn't intend for it to roll to hit given it's unique profile, but barring an FAQ the rules say it rolls to hit.

Wildeybeast
07-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Yes there is. Whilst the power is a witchfire, it bypasses the rolling to hit and to wound stages. The power clearly states that, based on the LD roll, you automatically suffer wounds. You need neither roll to hit nor to wound as you automatically suffer x number of wounds. And since you don't get armour or cover saves, this thing is nasty.

The witchfire element is relevant in that the normal restrictions of psychic shooting attacks apply (must be able to see target, can't be in combat etc.) and wound allocation works as per shooting, but the power does not need to roll to hit or wound.

As for BS0 models, I can't find anything in the book to say they are actually prohibited from making shooting attacks, they would just always miss and normally can't have guns. So in this case, as the power auto hits and auto wounds, I would say BS0 models could still use it.

Tynskel
07-11-2012, 06:00 PM
you guys got it wrong.

You still roll to hit.
If you hit your roll 3D6 and subtract Ld score of the target...

just because the power doesn't have a 'str' doesn't mean it auto hits. It has to say 'auto hit' for the power to 'auto hit'. Witchfire is explained on p.69

Nachodragon
07-11-2012, 06:08 PM
As the power is a Witchfire power it rolls to hit. It has no other sub-type so would use any other rules. It is also not a blast, which would roll to scatter. Nor is it a template, which would hit automatically.

Just because it doesn't function like a normal weapon does not make it not fire like a shooting weapon. If you want an example of another abnormal psychic power that needs to roll to hit, look at Lash of Submission from CSM.

So, giving this to a model with BS 0 would not do anything.

Wildeybeast
07-12-2012, 02:34 PM
It does indeed say Witchfire attacks must always roll to hit. I stand corrected.