PDA

View Full Version : deploy transports empty?

joedrache
07-11-2012, 10:31 AM
so i looked, and alll i could find was they said: you may deploy inside transports...
does that mean you can deploy a dedicated transport empty with its unit walking on the board?
are they rolled for separately or together?

thanks

gwensdad
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
so i looked, and alll i could find was they said: you may deploy inside transports...
does that mean you can deploy a dedicated transport empty with its unit walking on the board?
are they rolled for separately or together?

thanks

There's some situations where you'd have to-like a 10-man Tactical Squad having a razorback transport.
Also, there's having a 5 squad guard infantry platoon with Chimeras and deciding to unit all your squads into one giant horde-the transports would have to be empty.

DarkLink
07-11-2012, 11:58 AM
You may deploy inside transports...

Does that answer your first question?

As for rolling for reserves, you roll once per unit. If they're separate, you roll once per unit. And if you're together, they basically count as one unit so you roll once for the combined unit.

kjolnir
07-11-2012, 12:48 PM

As for rolling for reserves, you roll once per unit. If they're separate, you roll once per unit. And if you're together, they basically count as one unit so you roll once for the combined unit.

A dedicated transport is part of the unit, so only one roll would be needed, I would think.

So the quick answer is no, a unit is not required to deploy inside its own dedicated transport. However, no OTHER unit may deploy in it if the transport deploys empty.

Archon Charybdis
07-11-2012, 01:19 PM
A dedicated transport is part of the unit, so only one roll would be needed, I would think.

A dedicated transport is not part of the unit it's purchased for. If that were the case they'd need to maintain coherency, only shoot the same targets, etc. They do have a special permission that when the unit is deployed inside it's transport they roll together to come in, but that's a specific exception that is spelled out and only applies when deployed together. If you've got an empty transport and the unit separate, you've got two separate rolls.

kjolnir
07-11-2012, 01:26 PM
A dedicated transport is not part of the unit it's purchased for. If that were the case they'd need to maintain coherency, only shoot the same targets, etc. They do have a special permission that when the unit is deployed inside it's transport they roll together to come in, but that's a specific exception that is spelled out and only applies when deployed together. If you've got an empty transport and the unit separate, you've got two separate rolls.

Yeah I guess it's one of those weird, half-way in-between things.

I'm primarily a Tyranid player, so the Dedicated Transports there are no-brainers.

Yarlen Fireblade
07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
You may even do the following:

-Assault squad, take drop pod for free, take that squad and put in a Stormraven. Drop pod deploys empty. Also, divide it by combat squads, one of them begins in drop pod, the other one anywhere your like.

Only restriction is only the unit that bought the transport can begin the game inside.

Necron2.0
07-11-2012, 03:20 PM
I take a 20 figure Necron unit of warriors with Ghost Ark. Since the Ghost Ark can only carry 10 figures, it has to come in empty. I use my Ghost Arks purely as repair stations and fire support.

This is probably not news, but an interesting thing you can do (at least in 5th - haven't read the FAQ for SM in 6th) is take a 10 man tactical squad of SM, split them into combat squads and put one in a Razorback while the other goes on foot. Since the split happens "at deployment", both the Razorback, it's 5 man combat squad and the 5 man foot sloggers would come in from reserve on the same reserve role.

Wildcard
07-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Necron 2.0: Currently Combat squads are decided at the deployment - not when the unit actually comes to the table - i.e in reserves.

However, it was FAQed that combat squads can get inside their own dedicated transport both halves at the same time, given there is room ofcourse.

DarkLink
07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
A dedicated transport is not part of the unit it's purchased for.

For the purposes of reserves, if you place the units together they become one. That's actually explicitly stated.

Archon Charybdis
07-11-2012, 07:01 PM
For the purposes of reserves, if you place the units together they become one. That's actually explicitly stated.

Which if you'd read to rest of the post is exactly what I said.

joedrache
07-11-2012, 11:16 PM
remember the malefactor nid transport?(weeps softly)

Necron2.0
07-12-2012, 11:18 AM
This is probably not news, but an interesting thing you can do is take a 10 man tactical squad of SM, split them into combat squads and put one in a Razorback while the other goes on foot. Since the split happens "at deployment", both the Razorback, it's 5 man combat squad and the 5 man foot sloggers would come in from reserve on the same reserve role.

Necron 2.0: Currently Combat squads are decided at the deployment - not when the unit actually comes to the table - i.e in reserves.

Not sure what you're getting at with this. Not having been deployed and not being on the table are one and the same thing. On page 124 of the new BRB, it says that units in reserve are not deployed. Later it says when the unit IS deployed, the whole unit must be brought onto the table, and since the split occurs at deployment, both come on the board at the same time. There isn't a situation where a unit could be both deployed and not on the table.

I should note that the SM FAQ is a little vague and contradictory to the BRB in this regard. All the FAQ is really saying regarding combat squads is if you plan to split a unit into combat squads, that pre-split unit counts as two units for purposes of calculating the total units in reserve. However, the BRB is explicit - units in reserve have not been deployed.

bfmusashi
07-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Thank you for fielding that Necron. I got the biggest headache when I read the second half of his post.

Necron2.0
07-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Thank you for fielding that Necron. I got the biggest headache when I read the second half of his post.

The second part of his post? Do you mean where he's describing two combat squads in the same transport? Well, he's right on the money with that second point. The FAQ does specifically state that if there is room in a dedicated transport, both combat squads can embark on the same transport. Effectively, they'd only split into two once they've disembarked. It's kind of a weird exception, but it is specifically called out in the FAQ.

Regarding how Combat Squads and Reserve interact, however, that's where the wording gets a bit squirrelly. The wording there almost seems to imply that a unit is broken into combat squads prior to deployment ... almost. This is a case where the writer of the FAQ should have used two or more sentences to describe a complex interaction instead of trying to lump everything into one long sentence that only originally described a general principle.

bfmusashi
07-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Apologies for the for being obtuse. The second part of his post was referring to Yarlen Fireblade splitting into combat squads off table, in his example a drop pod and a storm raven. It hurt so bad I didn't pay enough attention to the posts until the end.

Chris*ta
07-13-2012, 01:06 PM

I had a job at a Faculty office in a University and had an argument FOR MORE THAN HALF AN HOUR with a Combined Law student about the sentence in the Faculty handbook where it said "You MAY count up to 48 Junior credit points towards your degree" did not mean he could choose to NOT count them, because he wanted to be able to do another year of study on the state's dollar.

Is this a case of YMMV?

There's some situations where you'd have to-like a 10-man Tactical Squad having a razorback transport.
Also, there's having a 5 squad guard infantry platoon with Chimeras and deciding to unit all your squads into one giant horde-the transports would have to be empty.

The first example I feel is kind of fluffy, kind of like a squad operating with a Bradley in support (IRL). The second example I think is kind of stupid, I just picture a bunch of guardsmen having a slapfight over who gets to ride in the Chimera at the front of the convoy ;)

DarkLink
07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
May has contextual meaning as to whether or not it is optional. It's pretty clear from reading the 40k rules that it's optional.

Or are you actually trying to argue that you must always deploy inside your transport?

Chris*ta
07-13-2012, 01:22 PM
May has contextual meaning as to whether or not it is optional. It's pretty clear from reading the 40k rules that it's optional.

Or are you actually trying to argue that you must always deploy inside your transport?

No, I know deployment in a dedicated transport is optional. Not least in cases where the whole squad can't fit in their transport.

I was kind of joking, but my point is that you shouldn't always assume that a word means what you think it means.

Especially when someone who works at the Faculty that published the book tells you that your interpretation is absolutely, 100% wrong.

My other point is that Combined Law students are usually a*seholes ;)