PDA

View Full Version : Looking for certainty for Nemesis Force Swords and Divination "Forewarning"

Wildcard
07-11-2012, 05:32 AM
So, as the title says, i am looking for your council on the matter:
- Grey Knights Nemesis Force Swords give +1 to invulnerable saves if the unit has any invulnerable save
- Divination discipline (fron the BRB): 2. Forewarning is a blessing that gives target unit within 12" 4+ invulnerable save

So, is there something i am missing, or does these stack to 3+ save (in close combat ofcourse)? Meaning, if regular GK Strike Squad has Forewarning cast on them, and they have their NFSs they have the said 3++ in CC?

Bean
07-11-2012, 06:11 AM
That's correct: 3+ invulnerable saves in close combat.

Wildcard
07-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Had a game with the combination mentioned in the original post (4+ invu save from psyker + a squd of terminators with swords.)

Now, when we were starting the game, my oppoenent stated, that what about the new rule for modifying stuff?

Here is roughly the order in which the modifiers are supposed to be applied.

1) Double
2) Add
3) Apply set-values

My oppoenent stated that since the 4+ invu save is a "set-value" the swords +1 (if something, being add- value) would have to be ignored thus giving models only 4+ invusave even on CC

Is his point valid, or are there some arguments to counter that reasoning?

Nachodragon
07-17-2012, 05:12 PM
The modifiers would apply to all situations. So the Invul save would be 4+. The +1 from the sword would be applied and then over-ridden by the set value.

Wildcard
07-17-2012, 05:17 PM
So, does that mean that if i throw that to a unit with draigo on it, rest of the unit would be flat 4+, and then i would have to roll 4+ (d6) whether or not draigo would have 3++ (from his stormshield) or 4++ (from the psychic skill), as per faq stating that if a modifiers are on a same 'slot', then roll to determine which is taken first and which is taken into account second? :)

Nachodragon
07-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Actually, I take that back. I re-read the modifiers section and it is only for characteristics, which an invulnerable save is not one. So, yes, the invul save would be 3+ in close combat.

bfmusashi
07-17-2012, 05:33 PM
The modifiers would apply to all situations. So the Invul save would be 4+. The +1 from the sword would be applied and then over-ridden by the set value.

Dangerous interpretation. If a unit has cammo cloaks (+1 to cover save) do they never receive it as cover saves are a set value?
The Nemesis Force Sword grants a +1 to a model's invulnerable save in CC but does nothing if the model has no invulnerable save. It is clearly a bonus meant to attach after the original value (usually a 4+ from an iron halo). Even with an iron halo does the model never receive the +1 as an iron halo is a set value?

Archon Charybdis
07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure if the psychic power granting the invuln save in the first place could rightly be considered a "modifier." It's not as though the target unit had an invuln save value of 0 or -, which the power then modified to be a 4+. Prior to having the power used, the target unit simply did not have an invuln save--the unit is being granted a completely new rule, not adjusting an existing rule or value.

Wildcard
07-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Prior to having the power used, the target unit simply did not have an invuln save--the unit is being granted a completely new rule, not adjusting an existing rule or value.

What about terminators with 5++ save?

Nachodragon
07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
The modifiers rule is only for the 9 characteristics. WS, BS, Str, T, W, I, A, Sv, Ld. Invulnerable saves and covers saves and other things are not part of this rule.

Now, The power grants a 4+, so anything that is 5+, 6+ or nothing would be 4+. And a model with 3+ would be unaffected as you always take the best save available.

So, termies would get 4+ and 3+ if they had a NFS, in close combat. Termies with SS would still be 3+ no matter what.