PDA

View Full Version : assaulting through Cover question

Redknight
07-10-2012, 04:51 PM
what are your thoughts on this situation ~ I thought it was clear cut but my opponent didnt .

I have 4 wraiths ( 2 either side of a wall ) , my opponent wants to assault with a unit of Salamander Assault Termies led by Vulkan who are charging at an oblique angle to me. He rolls his charge distance ( using 2 dice ) and gets a 7 , a 6 and a 1 . This would allow nearest model [Vulkan] to reach the 4" to wraith 1 and allow termie 1 to reach the second wraith . Does Termie 2 however now HAVE to charge the 3rd Wraith who is behind the wall ? I thought so ~ but now this is in difficult ground so my opponent shouldve rolled another dice and used the lowest 2 . He rolls the extra dice and gets a 2, so now his assault distance is 3 " which means the assault shouldve failed in the first place ?? Is that right ? He was arguing that because the other 2 were behind cover which he couldnt reach then he was able to just attack the ones he could reach on his side of the wall .

Nachodragon
07-10-2012, 05:03 PM
This is covered on pg 22. There is even a diagram at the bottom of the page.

Melon-neko
07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
what are your thoughts on this situation ~ I thought it was clear cut but my opponent didnt .

I have 4 wraiths ( 2 either side of a wall ) , my opponent wants to assault with a unit of Salamander Assault Termies led by Vulkan who are charging at an oblique angle to me. He rolls his charge distance ( using 2 dice ) and gets a 7 , a 6 and a 1 . This would allow nearest model [Vulkan] to reach the 4" to wraith 1 and allow termie 1 to reach the second wraith . Does Termie 2 however now HAVE to charge the 3rd Wraith who is behind the wall ? I thought so ~ but now this is in difficult ground so my opponent shouldve rolled another dice and used the lowest 2 . He rolls the extra dice and gets a 2, so now his assault distance is 3 " which means the assault shouldve failed in the first place ?? Is that right ? He was arguing that because the other 2 were behind cover which he couldnt reach then he was able to just attack the ones he could reach on his side of the wall .

So, each model has to try and get into base with an opposing model and the unit must attempt to base as many enemy models as possible. Since you can pre measure, if it would end up that, with a 12" charge, one of your models would have to move through difficult terrain in order to base as many of the enemy models as possible, then you would need to roll a difficult terrain test (charge with 3d6 dropping the highest).

So in your case, yes he should have made the difficult terrain test

On the subject, I don't think making the difficult terrain test reduces your initiative to 1 but actually moving through the terrain, so if you rolled to low to actually make it into difficult, you still fight at normal I (I think)

Tynskel
07-10-2012, 06:02 PM
yeah. You must check to see if ANY model has the possibility of going through difficult terrain before you roll the dice, there is NO going around terrain. Very explicit in the rulebook.