PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Psykers: No catalyst?

Dlatrex
07-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Forgive me if this has been covered previously: some of the strategies I've read in regards to selecting Nid psykers seem to call for holding on to certain powers that are useful (such as Warp Lance, or Catalyst) and throwing the rest to the individual discipline tables.

However looking at how the nid FAQ reads; it seems like an individual model chooses whether to keep the Codex powers, or swap them all out for newly generated ones. This should preclude an individual Tervigon from keeping Catalyst and swapping out 1-2 other powers for new ones, correct?

kjolnir
07-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Forgive me if this has been covered previously: some of the strategies I've read in regards to selecting Nid psykers seem to call for holding on to certain powers that are useful (such as Warp Lance, or Catalyst) and throwing the rest to the individual discipline tables.

However looking at how the nid FAQ reads; it seems like an individual model chooses whether to keep the Codex powers, or swap them all out for newly generated ones. This should preclude an individual Tervigon from keeping Catalyst and swapping out 1-2 other powers for new ones, correct?

Correct. Psychic power swaps are all or nothing.

Sonikgav
07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Where does it say that? I looked for that exact rule as i wanted to run Zoanthropes with Warp Lance and Psychic Shriek and found nothing to say i couldnt.

There is a part that says 'For each power it has it may roll on the charts for the appropriate disciplines' but also says 'In any Combination'. If it allows me to mix between the 3 new Disciplines why cant i also keep the powers from what is essentially the Tyranid Discipline?

Dlatrex
07-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Where does it say that? I looked for that exact rule as i wanted to run Zoanthropes with Warp Lance and Psychic Shriek and found nothing to say i couldnt.

There is a part that says 'For each power it has it may roll on the charts for the appropriate disciplines' but also says 'In any Combination'. If it allows me to mix between the 3 new Disciplines why cant i also keep the powers from what is essentially the Tyranid Discipline?

From the FAQ:

"Any Model with psychic powers may use the psychic disciplines found in the Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook, instead of those in Codex: Tyranids."

it then instructs "For each psychic power it has from Codex- generate a new power".
Although there might be some ambiguity, the parenthetical statement 'in any combination' seems to reference not being limited to a single discipline.

DarkLink
07-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Under the rules for swapping out powers, it's pretty explicit that it's all or nothing. That's one of the only things about that rule that's actually very clear.