PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts about the new fortification rules

xilton
07-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Well I thought I'd give it a go.

Personally, outside the new building rules, I think that fortifications should not be part of your FOC ever. It should be kept with the possible missions we chose from as it should always be. The mission should always decide how the game will be played and not army composition.

I know they want to sell more buildings and stuff (who can blame them at the price they sell), but being part of your army list is just plain non-sense. I'm not considering AI defense here. I know some armies don't have any.

What you guys think?

Renegade
07-10-2012, 08:51 AM
I think that they are a great add on, and mix the game up a lot more. Lots of converting and scratch build opportunities, and opens up different army builds.

Mr.Pickelz
07-10-2012, 09:51 AM
It will be interesting to see how the Fortifications slot will be expanded with the new codexes, allowing people to take customized terrain would lead to cool designs from random people and GW alike.:)

Melon-neko
07-10-2012, 11:39 AM
I am thinking about giving my daemon army a bastion for no other reason than making a daemon bastion =D

Also they are neat and I like neat things

Mr Mystery
07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
I like them! For a start, a simple Aegis Defence line can prevent an unscrupulous opponent simply rigging the terrain to suit himself. And yet they don't exactly dominate the game. Well up for it!

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
There are lots of armies in the fluff that are characterized as defensive, using the terrain/fortifications (Imp Fists, Iron Warriors, Tau, Imp Guard etc), and FOC fortifications let us play those armies a bit more like their fluff.

isotope99
07-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Against a lot of armies the grenade rules will balance out their power and being restricted to 1 limits their impact. Also the requirement to exit the building to claim an objective helps here.

I agree that they do encourage a certain style of play in many games but you could say that about lots of army builds.

Personally looking forward to building my own fortress model.

gendoikari87
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM
I think that they are a great add on, and mix the game up a lot more. Lots of converting and scratch build opportunities, and opens up different army builds.

Custodial guard and the emperors chamber anyone?

Order_from_Chaos
07-10-2012, 02:39 PM
I really think that the fortifications are great for balancing the power of flyers. I play an army that has no anti aircraft weapons and having the option to buy an AA gun is great and I think stop flyers from having such a huge advantage. Also If I run into an opponent who uses one well he has just wasted points on a gun that can't shoot at my ground troops effectively, I only have to deal with the cover saves which he would get anyways just from battlefield terrain. So IMO it is a cool addition to the game and definitely opens up cool conversion opportunities.

xilton
07-10-2012, 03:01 PM
One thing I hate or like of you are on the good side is for example a devestator squad in a bastion. It makes it extremely hard to get these guys. You have to get to the bastion so you can get a unit inside or shoot the bastion and hope the damage takes out the squad. The fact that your bastion is AC14 instead of 12 for neutral a bastion is a bit harsh. Sure I can say I will use one myself but I believe takes something out of the game other then mission based. Also, like I mentioned, I'm talking strictly without considering AA here. non neutral fortifications should be kept mission related and not army related. Armies don't move there fortresses around. Aegis line, sure why not, it's just a wall but a building is something else that doesn't has it's place in an army list. Only in a mission context. As for AA some people don't have, it's like terminator 2++. They will get 1s like you will get 6s to take them down. Of course, I can't argue since GW decided otherwise but it doesn't make sense outside a mission context. We talk fluff here and there, yes I understand fully but once again, it's a mission context nevertheless.

Sorry for the wall of text :) and thanks for the feedback.

Renegade
07-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Custodial guard and the emperors chamber anyone?

An excuse to get me one of these (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Warhammer_40,000_Terrain/IMPERIAL-FORTRESS-WALLS.html) :D