PDA

View Full Version : charge through cover OR through difficult terrain

pigei
07-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Dear all,

in 6th edition a charging unit have initiative 1 if one of its model passes through difficult terrain (assaulting through difficult terrain)
In the text I also find the term assaulting through cover (as it existed in 5th)

The text explicitly describe charging through difficult terrain (p.22). It does not have a rule for charging through cover though (or I was not able to find one).
It seems that they are using the two terms to state the same situation. For instance at page 28 when describing charging through difficult terrain in multiple combats the rulebook ends up talking about charging through cover!

Moreover assault grenades applies only to charges through cover and not to charges through difficult terrains.

Now I agree that a terrain can be considered as difficult terrain AND granting cove (area terrain) but there could be cases in which the terrain does not grant cover.
What is going on?

kjolnir
07-10-2012, 08:54 AM
I chalked it up to sloppy writing and editing. Right now, I'm rolling with "If you have to make a difficult terrain check, you're going at init 1." Presumably assaulting through cover provokes a difficult terrain check. I can't really think off the top of my head of a situation where it wouldn't.

xilton
07-10-2012, 09:16 AM
It is confusing. Asaulting through a river for example would give you I1 BUT it's not cover terrain or at least not where we play. I don't get it. It's probably just bad wording. If you did not have cover, it's normal Init if you ask me.

EnglishInquisition
07-10-2012, 09:47 AM
It is confusing. Asaulting through a river for example would give you I1 BUT it's not cover terrain or at least not where we play. I don't get it. It's probably just bad wording. If you did not have cover, it's normal Init if you ask me.

This is the perfect example of where terrain IS difficult but grants NO cover save- rivers.

I think that 'cover' is generally considered a hindrance to an assault (as any model crossing it triggers a test and associated penalty) and sometimes does get mixed up with generic 'difficult terrain'. To all intents and purposes assaulting through cover or difficult terrain are interchangeable terms, definitely within my gaming group.

pigei
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Thus can we say that:

1) A unit charging through difficult terrain (that does not grant cover saves) strike at initiative 1.
--> Yes. This is explicitly stated at page 21

2) A unit charging through cover strike at initiative 1
--> this is not clearly stated in the rulebook.

3) If the unit is equipped with assault grenades it has no initiative penality in case 1
--> this is not clearly stated in the rulebook.

4) and it has no initiative penality in case 2
--> Yes. This is stated in the assault grenades description (page 61)

Lerra
07-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Presumably assaulting through cover provokes a difficult terrain check. I can't really think off the top of my head of a situation where it wouldn't.

Beasts and Cavalry aren't slowed by difficult terrain and don't need to roll for difficult terrain. Also jump infantry aren't slowed by terrain if they use their jump packs in the assault phase. But both are reduced to I1 because they are "charging through difficult terrain" even if they aren't penalized by it otherwise. At least until an FAQ comes out.

Nachodragon
07-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Wraith and C'Tan are potentially F'd too. Wraith are never slowed by terrain... and C'tan ignore the effects of difficult and dangerous terrain. This is a huge change from 5th that actually stated you were not reduced if you did not have to roll.

Melon-neko
07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
they are most likely synonymous imo. The USR is move through cover, not move through difficult terrain ^^

Nachodragon
07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Not sure who responding too, but C'tan and Wraith don't have any USR. They have special rules. Immune to Natural law and Wraithflight.

Neither will roll anything for any terrain, but the rules changed for when Init is dropped, the rules used to state it was dropped to 1 if you had to roll for terrain that you had Init drop to 1. Assault grenades said you didn't have to roll for difficult terrain. Now, it just says if you move through difficult terrain as part of your charge, then you have init 1. This is a big deal for C'tan.. and for Wraith to be able to attack before whip coiled enemies..

Tynskel
07-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Beasts and Cavalry aren't slowed by difficult terrain and don't need to roll for difficult terrain. Also jump infantry aren't slowed by terrain if they use their jump packs in the assault phase. But both are reduced to I1 because they are "charging through difficult terrain" even if they aren't penalized by it otherwise. At least until an FAQ comes out.

if none of the models go through terrain, you are not reduced in initiative penalty.
Skyborn rule states that when using jump packs, you ignore terrain. However, if you start or end in terrain while using jump packs, you must make a dangerous terrain check. By activating the dangerous terrain test, you are subject to the liabilities of dangerous terrain, one of which is all the rules for difficult terrain. In this case, Skyborn ignores the terrain for movement (you don't have 3D6, drop highest), but you would be knocked to I1.

Furthermore, Immune to Natural law states that you ignore the effects of difficult and dangerous terrain while moving. One of those effects is the initiative penalty, so you are not reduced in initiative, due to Immune to Natural Law.

You might argue the Wraiths, but essentially, you are never taking any of the negatives for the terrain, so I don't know why you would be subject to the initiative check.