PDA

View Full Version : Priests of Mars

Wildeybeast
07-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Now here is curious new pre-order from BL.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/priests-of-mars.jpg

Full details and promo vid here (http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/priests-of-mars.html). Aside from the fact that it sounds pretty swell and may give us a great insight into what lies at the edge of the galaxy, some lost archeotech and the Mechanicum, what grabs me is the price point. £18 is well beyond the usual paperback price, so I'm intrigued as to what it will conatin. Is it an illustrated novel, a hardback background book or a super length novel. I couldn't see anything about it on the BL blog, so does anyone know what exactly this book is?

isotope99
07-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Regular hardback novel. OK but leaves a lot of plotlines hanging in a frustrating way.

gendoikari87
07-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Score.

Wildeybeast
07-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Regular hardback novel. OK but leaves a lot of plotlines hanging in a frustrating way.

A hard back novel eh? You sound like you have read it before, is this an old one that they are re-issuing?

wittdooley
07-09-2012, 03:03 PM
You can order the ebook right now. I'm probably going to get it. If I do I'll review it.

bfmusashi
07-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I have decided this is Idle Hands set in the 40k universe. Clearly, his right hand is full of evil and only his backpack drill can stop it, but can he perform this amputation AND get the glow sticks to the Halloween rave on time? SUSPENSE... also young space Jessica Alba in her underwear.

isotope99
07-10-2012, 10:25 AM
A hard back novel eh? You sound like you have read it before, is this an old one that they are re-issuing?

It's new, picked it up pre-release at a GW event. Imagine they will paperback it in a year or two.

Wildeybeast
07-10-2012, 10:26 AM
It's new, picked it up pre-release at a GW event. Imagine they will paperback it in a year or two.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification, an interesting move to see them releasing stuff in hardback now.

Rapture
07-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Does anyone else find it odd that this fellow's hands are physically incapable of holding and manipulating a wrench (or anything, really)?

Lancel
07-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Does anyone else find it odd that this fellow's hands are physically incapable of holding and manipulating a wrench (or anything, really)?

His hand is the wrench. It's right there on his right hand, near the bottom.

Rapture
07-10-2012, 08:27 PM
That is clearly a claw coming off of his claws. The oblong shape that it closes in would be a pretty poor choice for manipulating a bolt.

I try not to be too picky regarding cover art, but this homeless-looking Freddy Kreuger guy is a serious turn off.

gendoikari87
07-10-2012, 08:39 PM
That is clearly a claw coming off of his claws. The oblong shape that it closes in would be a pretty poor choice for manipulating a bolt.

I try not to be too picky regarding cover art, but this homeless-looking Freddy Kreuger guy is a serious turn off.

Hey 4 out of like six is good enough usually. besides not all priests are adepts at FIXING things, some specialize in BREAKING things, like living beings.

Psychosplodge
07-11-2012, 01:37 AM
I have decided this is Idle Hands set in the 40k universe. Clearly, his right hand is full of evil and only his backpack drill can stop it, but can he perform this amputation AND get the glow sticks to the Halloween rave on time? SUSPENSE... also young space Jessica Alba in her underwear.

I'm going to watch this again now...

MuGGzy
07-13-2012, 02:22 PM
hmm if only it were to show up on the torrents... not that I advocate such things...
I mean Hardback Books are a blight on the face of literacy and should be banished! ;-)

Psychosplodge
07-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Hardbacks are a thing of beauty, if only they used less shelf space...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-16-2012, 01:45 AM
I'm loving all of these recent hardbacks - The Emperor's Gift, Angel of Fire, and now this! :D
Suffice it to say, I am so getting this.

cobra6
07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Speaking of lack of mechanical aptitude based on the cover art...

It's pretty rare that I ever need a giant drill when I'm fixing a car or another piece of metal machinery. I guess this guy is actually a member of the Adeptus Carpentericus, which would also explain his fingers which would be great for carving and engraving wood.

Or maybe he's the Admech version of the island of misfit toys; he's turned to Chaos because all his attachments aren't useful for actually building and maintaining machines.

Or maybe he's just prospecting for oil.

Gotthammer
07-17-2012, 01:22 PM
finished it and really enjoyed it. My longer, and slightly full of tangets, review is up on my blog (http://collegiatitanica.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/review-priests-of-mars.html).

wittdooley
07-17-2012, 03:12 PM
As an aside to any of you potential eBook purchasers:

DO NOT BUY THE EBOOKS ON THE APP.

I repeat.

DO NOT BUY THE EBOOKS ON THE APP.

Why, you ask? Because then you're married to the .ePub format and, if you're like me and prefer to read on your Kindle, you wont be able to ever download the .mobi file.

This is really, really misleading because if you order from the Black Libarary website, you get the option of either, and they stay in your account. However, the Black Library App doesn't link at all with your Black Library account, nor will they, at this point, transfer your purchase.

I'm in the process of trying to get the Kindle .mobi file, but I'm not optomistic.

I'll let you know how it progresses, but just be warned. If you want to read your file EVER on a Kindle, do not use the Black Library App.

Psychosplodge
07-17-2012, 03:25 PM
That's a balls up of ridiculous proportions....