PDA

View Full Version : Initiative rounds in assault

Winston P Smallhouse
07-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi all, I have a question about the way the initiative rounds work.I'm sorry if I'm going over old ground but I'm new to the forum.
If you instigate an assault with a low initiative unit and therefore go second in the combat sub phase, do you move up 3" during your opponent attack round, and then again when it is your turn to attack. If so, units like scarabs, that can get very strung out in the movement phase, get a big boost as you'd be gaining extra distance to your units stragglers and as such get a lot more attacks which doesn't seem very fair (and I'm a necron player).

kjolnir
07-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I believe that is correct. At each initiative step, any models not in B2B contact make a 3" pile-in move. I could be somewhat mistaken, as I haven't really read the rules closely for that part.

Melon-neko
07-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi all, I have a question about the way the initiative rounds work.I'm sorry if I'm going over old ground but I'm new to the forum.
If you instigate an assault with a low initiative unit and therefore go second in the combat sub phase, do you move up 3" during your opponent attack round, and then again when it is your turn to attack. If so, units like scarabs, that can get very strung out in the movement phase, get a big boost as you'd be gaining extra distance to your units stragglers and as such get a lot more attacks which doesn't seem very fair (and I'm a necron player).

I am not certain exactly what you are saying ^^

Anyway, in the assault phase, there is not a phase where you attack and a phase where your opponent attacks.

To clarify:

At each initiative step, all models attacking at that initiative may pile in 3" if not already in base contact with an enemy (the current player piles in first if multiple models have the same initiative

At the end of the combat if units are still engaged, all models pile in 3"

make sense?

Tynskel
07-09-2012, 02:12 PM
That's EASY!

Winston P Smallhouse
07-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks, my point was that it just seemed strange that the charging unit would effectively gain extra charge distance just for going second (as long as one model makes it of course). To me this just looks to be of big benefit to very large units and especially swarms, who's larger base size makes it harder for them all to get close up and personnel, and I didn't want to run the risk of playing unfairly. Anyway thanks for the clarification.

EnglishInquisition
07-10-2012, 10:01 AM
In the original example-
Scarabs assault and make base contact where possible
Marines are higher initiative so move up to 3" to make base contact if there are any marines NOT in base contact after the initial scarab assault move.
Marines fight, any scarab casualties are removed, from base contact first and then backwards.
Now scarabs move 3" to make base contact again and fight. Combat res worked out.
If their 3" move doesn't get them into base contact then they can't fight and combat results worked out at that point.

xilton
07-10-2012, 11:26 AM
In the original example-
Scarabs assault and make base contact where possible
Marines are higher initiative so move up to 3" to make base contact if there are any marines NOT in base contact after the initial scarab assault move.
Marines fight, any scarab casualties are removed, from base contact first and then backwards.
Now scarabs move 3" to make base contact again and fight. Combat res worked out.
If their 3" move doesn't get them into base contact then they can't fight and combat results worked out at that point.

Unless I'm mistaken, the rule for being 2" behind a BTB for attacks still exists. You don't need to be in BtB for a model to fight unless you're not within 2" of one that is. You still must move in your Init phase though if you are not and try to be. I'm guessing you were talking about no one left in BtB at all in your example after removing casualties and pile in where 2" doesn't apply anymore.

EnglishInquisition
07-10-2012, 01:07 PM
It does still exist, but casualties are always taken from closest ie btb.
If a btb gap is created then at its initiative step, it must move to get in btb contact if possible.