PDA

View Full Version : Holiday and Expectations

DrLove42
07-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Currently sat in the depsrture lounge at Gatwick, on my way to Orlando for 2 weeks. So going to be pretty quiet :-P

On my return i have a few predictions;

TDA's post count will be above my own
The chaos codex for next month will have leaked
FW/GW will have found a new way to screw every eldar player (how about theyre all T2 to show their fragility!) Everyone in England try not to drown.....see yu soon folks!

Wolfshade
07-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Enjoy your break,
Drowning does seem the most probable action at the moment :(

olberon
07-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Have fun!! be sure to send some vacation greetings!!!!

as for your excpectations hope your right about the codex , eldar will deffo get screwed even more :D

eldargal
07-08-2012, 04:37 AM
It does seem unusually damp...

Though of things continue the way they are going with Eldar, the only drowning I'll be doing will involve alcoholic beverages.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Not sure if compliment or insult... I like that I have a reputation.
Safe travels my friend.

Denzark
07-08-2012, 05:30 PM
I always find foreign travel woderfully narrows the mind.

Still, suppose the last place I was was Afghanistan... Enjoy Orlando, make sure you let the colonials know when you are being ironic.

Psychosplodge
07-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Currently sat in the depsrture lounge at Gatwick, on my way to Orlando for 2 weeks. So going to be pretty quiet :-P

On my return i have a few predictions;

TDA's post count will be above my own That probably won't take two whole weeks
The chaos codex for next month will have leaked In three versions
FW/GW will have found a new way to screw every eldar player (how about theyre all T2 to show their fragility!)
:eek:
Everyone in England try not to drown....
It's ok, I live on a hill
.see yu soon folks!

Still, suppose the last place I was was Afghanistan... Enjoy Orlando, make sure you let the colonials know when you are being ironic.

lols

Wolfshade
07-09-2012, 01:44 AM

I know what you mean, I've been to Cornwall...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-16-2012, 05:33 AM
Ooooh, I may actually do it! :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-16-2012, 07:30 AM
DONE!
And I win the war! :D

Psychosplodge
07-16-2012, 07:33 AM
lol

SotonShades
07-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Now we just have to work out if DrLove meant it as a compliment or insult :P

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-16-2012, 08:05 AM
It's obviously a jest, everyone loves a slice of Agent. Can you deny that Soton?

SotonShades
07-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Love might be too strong a word...

;)

DrLove42
07-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Definently in Jest my friend

And out here in sunny Florida i have proved my pure Britishness. Despite Factor 50 sun block im still lobster red. Just in case there was any doubt im not white as the driven snow most of the year....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Thank you guys, feeling the love! :D

Are you having a good time Doc?

Psychosplodge
07-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Just make sure you keep the reputation up and get out in that mid-day sun...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-17-2012, 01:25 AM
And find out where the stereotype came from that we like warm beer! :p

SotonShades
07-17-2012, 04:00 AM
I don't think it is so much we like warm beer in as much as we consider drinks warm, more that we don't prefer near frozen knat's piss like our cousins across the pond. At least, that was true during the Second World War, and the stereo-types from back then have stuck to some extent.

That said, I think the Beer Thread shows there is still a ring of truth to it!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-17-2012, 04:02 AM
I have never really viewed that thread, I have nothing to contribute. xD

Wolfshade
07-17-2012, 04:07 AM
Everything has a different temperature
Cold Drinks
Room Temperature - Red Wine, Whiskey
Cellar Temperature - Beer
Cold - White wine

It is all about what temperature the flavour developes at, larger is generally served very cold as there is little depth of flavour, so when drinking it cold you gtet an intial hit and it mostly tastes cold. Red wine has a well developed flavour with quite a long after taste that is lost at cold temperatures.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-17-2012, 04:08 AM
Went right over my head.

Wolfshade
07-17-2012, 04:21 AM
:( ah well.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-17-2012, 04:24 AM
I'm not a massive drinker, it must be said.

Wolfshade
07-17-2012, 04:32 AM
I'm not, though the beer thread suggests otherwise.
I enjoy real ale, and the pub I got to after practise has different beers on most weeks. Though that is never more than 1 pint as I have to drive.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-17-2012, 04:35 AM
All of my locals are within 10 mins walk. :D

Wolfshade
07-17-2012, 04:45 AM
I believe those within 10 mins of me believe bitter is John Smiths or Tetley :eek:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-17-2012, 04:48 AM
I believe those within 10 mins of me believe bitter is John Smiths or Tetley :eek:

That made no sense.

SotonShades
07-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Everything has a different temperature
Cold Drinks
Room Temperature - Red Wine, Whiskey
Cellar Temperature - Beer
Cold - White wine

It is all about what temperature the flavour developes at, larger is generally served very cold as there is little depth of flavour, so when drinking it cold you gtet an intial hit and it mostly tastes cold. Red wine has a well developed flavour with quite a long after taste that is lost at cold temperatures.

My WSET is screaming at me (impressive for a piece of paper with no mouth or breathing organs...) to correct you :P

Whilst this is the general gist, there are ranges of temperatures for each, and whilst a full bodies Red should certainaly be served at room temperature (note; room temp with regards to wine is actually only 16-18C, not the 20C we usually consider as roomtemp), lighter bodied reds should be slightly cooled, as low as 8-10C for some very light bodied reds, normally those from cooler climates but that breeds in a whole different set of conclusions. Similar can be said for certain whites that should actually be served at around 12C. I've yet tom come across a sparkling, rose or dessert wine that shouldn't be properlly chilled to 3-4C though :) Even then they should be allowed to rest for 10-15 minutes at room temperature before being openned/served.

Again, for whiskey and whisky (yes there is a difference), whether ti should be served warm, at room temp or over ice depends a lot on how it is made, often where it is from and a few other factors. Most Japanese whiskey should be iced, for example. Single malt scotch: Have that baby at least at room temperature (though some can be very very good at 25C infront of a roaring fire, especially if they have quite a smokey flavour). Blends... erm. Yes. Depends which malts, how old, etc. Irish? On ice or in hot coffee. Never do anything else with it. Maybe clean engines...

Of course there is one rule that discounts all of the above;
If you like it like that, it is the right way to drink it. If someone wants to drink a heavy Rhone valley Cabernet Sauvignon near frozen because that's the way they like it, or a tangy, petrolly Riesling from North Germany steaming hot... well they are probably mad, but leave them to it. It is surprising how often the odd people doing that defint and create new trends in drinking!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-17-2012, 04:52 AM
TL;DR. :D
n

SotonShades
07-17-2012, 04:53 AM

That made no sense.

Whilst technically they are bitters, they are cheap mass produced rubbish that I can hardly drink, compared to a real bitter; proper ale, full of body and flavour that is what this country was really built on!

SotonShades
07-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Sorry, I get carried away sometimes. Knowledge is a burden.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-17-2012, 04:55 AM
I was joking, I read it all. :p

Knowledge is power; guard it well.

Psychosplodge
07-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Sacrilige

Wolfshade
07-17-2012, 05:15 AM
My WSET is screaming at me (impressive for a piece of paper with no mouth or breathing organs...) to correct you :P

Whilst this is the general gist...
I rarely have the heating on, I think my room temperature is too low. The list was a generalistation.
Where do you stand on the requirement of decanting?

Again, for whiskey and whisky (yes there is a difference)
In my world there is just Whisky (or scotch), and only one thing goes in it, more scotch,

Of course there is one rule that discounts all of the above;
If you like it like that, it is the right way to drink it. Very true, don't get caught up on doing something jsut becayse

Psychosplodge
07-17-2012, 06:04 AM
In my world there is just Whisky (or scotch), and only one thing goes in it, more scotch,

This^

All others are a poor comparison, and you don't know scotch till you've been drinking with the scottish...

SotonShades
07-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Ahhh no. Don't get me wron, I love a good Scotch, but there is a world of whiskey and whisky to explore. As I said, the Japanese make some amazing Whiskeys. Very different from Scotches, but very very pleasent to drink, especially cold. That said, poor me a Monkey Shoulder and I'll happilly chat away the night on whatever subject you want!

As for decanting; well it shouldn't be necessary for 99% of modern wines. They are proberly aged (either in the barrel or bottle as oppropriate) before going on sale and can be drunk straight from the bottle, although the correct style of glass will give you a much better experience of the flavours and armoas ;). How ever, anything over 10-12 year old won't have been bottled in quite such a scientific manner. Even then, a white shouldn't really need it. A medium to full bodied red though? Most deffinitely or the tannins will be increadibly bitter. And taking the edge off of the tannins is the only real reason why it should be necessary for flavour (so only Reds, Roses and some Dessert wines).

The only other reasons to decant a good wine would be for presentation purposes (which I can understand) or if there is sediment in the bottle. Some people think that the wine has gone bad if that is the case, but a good number of wines, especially strong wines from cooler climates require a second fermantaion in the bottle, and that can create sediment if not dealt with properly by the wine makers.

Before I quite my job at the hotel I had the pleasure of serving one of the owners a 67 year old bottle of Bordeaux. Very very full flavour, a little sediment in the bottle and tannins that made your eyes water they were so strong (and that was just the smell!) However, after decanting to a wide mouthed jug (which I throughly cleaned twice infront of the owner to make sure it wouldn't spoil the wine), removing the sediment and allowing it to breath for 20 minutes, it lost it's bitter edge and had a much more floral nose. For service, we actually re-bottled it in the original but cleaned bottle. My manager and I were rewarded afterwards with a little splash to share. Litterally two sips each, but it was enough to experience the wonderous flavours. I can fully understand why that bottle alone was worth more than my annual wage, by a noticable margin.

Wolfshade
07-17-2012, 06:48 AM
I believe I heard that Japan was the second largest importer of scotch (behind England).

A friend of mine is a bit of a wine conisuer so every so often I agree to go and collect her wine, in return she shares a bottle :)
The one day I was slightly embarassed after she told me how much the wine I had picked was worth £100+ :(
Very nice I do say.

Psychosplodge
07-17-2012, 07:07 AM
My manager and I were rewarded afterwards with a little splash to share. Litterally two sips each, but it was enough to experience the wonderous flavours. I can fully understand why that bottle alone was worth more than my annual wage, by a noticable margin.

I bet you regretted spitting in it then....

But seriously, that sounds epic...

SotonShades
07-17-2012, 09:15 AM
It was exceedinly hard not to finish it off, but I am a very moral, good person who is so much holier than thou, and so share I done did.

Psychosplodge
07-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Too easy...

eldargal
07-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Soton, do you remember what bordeaux it was? 67 years ago would be 1945, which I think daddy said was a great year. Lafite, Mouton, Margaux or Haut Brion? My father loves his bordeaux and burgundies...

I love scotch, not keen on Irish whiskey at all. I quite enjoy bourbon but nothing compares to scotch.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Wow, it's off-topic and I was barely involved. I'm so proud of you guys (and girls).

Psychosplodge
07-17-2012, 10:59 AM
We do manage to leave the topic behind all by ourselves sometimes...

SotonShades
07-17-2012, 03:49 PM
I wanna say Haut Brion, EG, but I have been to sleep and had more than a few cheap bottle of wine to myself since then. And this story takes place a little over a year ago, so it may have been a 1944... That is assuming I even remembered 67 right. It was certainly sixty something years old.

I wanna go get a decent slug of my Laphroaig now. But I are poor and really have to make that bottle last!

Drunkencorgimaster
07-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Currently sat in the depsrture lounge at Gatwick, on my way to Orlando for 2 weeks.

Orlando in July? Brave man. Brave man.