PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld going mainstream? Forgeworld Codicies?!

Flammenwerfer13
07-06-2012, 06:03 PM
http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2012/07/06/forgeworld-imperial-armor-aeronautica-and-a-rumor/

Forgeworld has released a new book, Imperial Armor Aeronautica. We got a juicy rumor to go with this!

So, Forgeworld is giving us 6th edition updates to the rules, nice one!The book will be typical Forgeworld high quality and hopefully without typical Forgeworld typos!

I can’t wait to get a Vulture for my IG, what a sweet machine!

But, here is the rumor: a regular of ours talked to GW asking if he could use Forgeworld in tournaments and he told us he was told that YES HE COULD, and that a FAQ for all of the Forgeworld stuff would be released by Games Workshop (not Forgeworld) giving all the pertinent rules to allow them in regular play.

Also, he told us that Forgeworld will be releasing codices that are official and will explore some of the more niche aspects of the GW universe (the example given was a Salamanders Codex). He also said that all Forgeworld product will be sold in GW stores.

This corroborates a LOT of rumors we are hearing about Forgeworld going mainstream from multiple sources. What we hear is that GW is waiting to set up a North American production center so that they will be equiped to meet the anticipated demand that will come with letting FW into regular play.

The rest are my thoughts on this.

ABOUT TIME! We here love FW and have been pushing to get them into regular play, and now it looks like that will happen. Awesome! Hull Points mitigates a lot of the fear people had about overpowering rules, and the rest of it is just cool. The more toys the better, we say!

So wow, this means the meta will get obliterated if true. Allies and Forgeworld will just totally alter the landscape, and it will keep new releases coming out at us WAY faster than before. This also ties in with the “mini-codex” rumors I was told about as that individual also specifically mentioned Forgeworld Codices being released.

I am very excited for this! Think of how much this opens the game up, wow, it will be an entirely new landscape with so many options that literally, no two armies could be the same if you so desired. I am all for it and hope this turns out to be true.

heretic marine
07-06-2012, 06:15 PM
OH my, OH my, I don't know what to do about this, wait I do know and its SCREAM FOR JOY as my main army DKOK will be sold in GWs stores

Lockark
07-06-2012, 06:39 PM
If this is true, I'm going to be very happy. Not being able to assault off the outflank released messed up my ork army. Being able to get thows Flying Trucks for them will help me find a use for all thows kommandoz I converted in 6th ed!

CrimsonTurkey
07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
The only thing I am even capable of thinking at the moment is "exodites."

DrBored
07-06-2012, 07:16 PM
This is indeed quite exiting. I can already see mini-codices released for Adeptus Mechanicus, Traitor Guard, Krieg, and a bunch of the Space Marine chapters that FW has been focusing on (Charcharadons, Minotaurs, Red Scorpions, etc).

I'm in. Especially if we can get the models in US dollars without the hefty shipping price or longer wait time.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Aha, finally! Looking forward to seeing what comes from this.

MarneusCalgar
07-06-2012, 10:18 PM
If this gets true... Love will come into my space marines with some FW goodies!!!

eldargal
07-06-2012, 11:16 PM
The FW codices thing is plausible. The GW FAQ saying they can be used in regular games is also plausible, though sad it has to come to that. Fact is that is already the case, the only thing stopping it is peoples ridiculous prejudice against FW units.

FW in every GW store is not plausible. FW don't have the production capacity to do that, unless they are going to be taking on heaps of new staff I can't see it happening or else it will be a VERY small sampling of their range to give people an idea of what they can get. By sampling I mean of course Space Marines and IG because nothing else sodding matters.

GW already have a North American production facility. They don't produce FW units because it means having to produce multiples of all the moulds and send them out to the US at great expense. I do not consider this plausible either. The question of a FW production centre in NA comes up on the facebook page every month or so and the answer is the same: not financially or logistically viable.

Vangrail
07-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Awesome all my fw will be able to be used in normal games without debate if i can or not! Id love to see a Iron hands/Sons of medusa book!

Houghten
07-07-2012, 02:45 AM
FW in every GW store is not plausible. FW don't have the production capacity to do that, unless they are going to be taking on heaps of new staff I can't see it happening or else it will be a VERY small sampling of their range to give people an idea of what they can get. By sampling I mean of course Space Marines and IG because nothing else sodding matters.

What is plausible is a "deliver to my local store" option when ordering from FW.

eldargal
07-07-2012, 02:52 AM
I thought you could already order FW stuff through local stores?

olberon
07-07-2012, 02:53 AM
What is plausible is a "deliver to my local store" option when ordering from FW.

My guess is that FW product will need to get ordered for customers who want it, see it as mail order but for FW -which in turn makes me a happy panda-

JxKxR
07-07-2012, 03:12 AM

Nope, we can't. Although it would be sweet!! :D

Houghten
07-07-2012, 03:51 AM

You can access forgeworld.co.uk through the Order Points, but there's no "pay at till" option and it's home delivery only.

Fantomex
07-07-2012, 03:56 AM
Excellent, come on you Iron Hands! *crosses fingers and waits*

gcsmith
07-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Hey the ability to use Tetra's at tournaments, im all in.

Wildeybeast
07-07-2012, 04:26 AM
I have serious doubts about this rumour. As EG has already said, it would mean a masive increase in production which would take significant investment from GW. Look at FW's current output. They get a couple of models out a month, most of which they don't have the capacity to paint for promo shots and which are often variants on exisiting moulds or conversion kits for GW models. There is no way they have the capacity to supply enough models for a brand new codex. GW can barely support it's exisiting armies, which is why they have repeatedly said they aren't introducing new races. Can you imagine the outrage if they release Codex Salamanders and then drip feed a couple of models each month, like they do with Monstrous Arcana? And why do Codex Salamanders anyway? They follow the Codex Astartes and don't need a seperate codex, especially when those chapters which already have one aren't supported properly.

I can see them 'chapter approving' stuff for offical inclusion in 40K, but I doubt the rest of this rumour will pan out.

Wildcard
07-07-2012, 06:10 AM
- 6th edition means new era for 40k
- FW products becoming "mainstream" rules wise. This means that there might be more people willing to invest in models they know they can use without serious arguing
-

And you never know if GW/FW have indeed increased their production capabilities, acquired more 'machinery' (be that new or used) that FW can start to use.

Or they could be going for CAD & 3D printing / equivalent as a long term strategy, thus pressing the rules (that doesn't cost them anything) to maximise the usage of all of their products. (In a way to help to compensate the new investments)

As a hobby audience widens (Yup, we oldschool dudes + all the younglings that gets to know the game every year), so must their production capabilities on a long term strategy

GW aint gonna go bankrupt. But remember that USA is still recovering from the recession that did terrible things to their industry (both civilian and military contractors). Lots of new unemployed dudes and even cities are struggling against bankrupsy. (I saw a document from a town X (cant remember the name) where people were collecting money themselves to pay for even some police patrols)

And EU is in turmoil right now. One nation after another is rocketing towards bankrupsy, and to avoid that they need billions of euros to avoid that from other nations that are in only marginally better position themselves) (And in spain the unemployment rate for 20-30 year olds is nearing 50%)

So, times are bad. Only a relative few have the extra funds to pay for this relatively expensive hobby. But, times will get better, and its a financial fact that on dire times, those that have money will benefit from it the most. (Cheapest investments for example)

gendoikari87
07-07-2012, 07:10 AM
*crosses fingers* Mechanicus codex. Mechanicus codex!!!

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-07-2012, 08:24 AM
There is no way they have the capacity to supply enough models for a brand new codex. GW can barely support it's exisiting armies, which is why they have repeatedly said they aren't introducing new races.Keep in mind that most of the 'dexs they've already done are heavily based around existing plastic kits (DKOK/renegades/Elysians using the guard's motorpool, Tyrant's army using guard and space marine models, corsairs based around Eldar etc). If they did a Salamanders 'dex, they'd release a Salamanders conversion kit, a special character or two and maybe a new weapon option for the Predator or something, not a whole new model range.

Rift Knight
07-07-2012, 08:47 AM
My local FLGS stopped ordering FW about 5 years ago. They used to just accumulate orders until they hit the free shipping amout unless you were willing to pay shipping yourself. But the owner said it was to much hassel and stopped. Please don't anyone hate on me, that was the reason he gave. So I guess it depends on the owner.

gendoikari87
07-07-2012, 09:57 AM
if GW/FW is switching over to 3d printing, then they can have as many model ranges as they want.

olberon
07-07-2012, 11:06 AM
*crosses fingers* Mechanicus codex. Mechanicus codex!!!

If thats comes count me in !!!

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-07-2012, 11:17 AM
if GW/FW is switching over to 3d printing, then they can have as many model ranges as they want.Dunno, 3d printing isn't cost-effective for mass production, they'd still need to make molds, which are the really pricy part of the procedure.

gendoikari87
07-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Dunno, 3d printing isn't cost-effective for mass production, they'd still need to make molds, which are the really pricy part of the procedure.

um no. Mass production is where 3d printing shines. You don't need moulds you just power up the machines and hit print.

Fantomex
07-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Not tooting my own horn, but I was pretty bang on the money with a lot of the recent announcements.. ;)

Having had a chat to a few FW designers and gone to a couple of design seminars, I asked many questions, and the following is what I remember:

GW are ok with the FW team doing a proper Pre-Heresy set of books, and apparently the more positive feedback given about the current armours and dreadnoughts, the more likely this would come out sooner rather than later.

It was spoken of by the FW guys as more of a foregone conclusion than an uncertainty. I figure they know what a huge seller it would be..

Primarchs were mentioned (and brought up by the designers, not me..), but not necessarily to be modeled, more likely books would deal with Astartes and the varied Crusade Fleets.

FW will end up making more Pre-Heresy items, including more vehicles & Terminator Armours.
Custodes and jetbikes not mentioned, but I'd assume it wouldn't be much of a stretch..

As much as they intend to get it all out, apparently their schedule is very fluid, and even on current projects there is a great amount of flexibility and change between sculpts and tasks.
Lots of different design team members have worked on different versions of the Contemptor since the "blank" sculpt, so I was told.

I also asked whether they would be doing any whole FW armies for 40k, in the way that Warhammer Forge now has the Chaos Dwarfs.

As the rumour mill has occasionally bubbled up, Adeptus Mechanicus, I queried? Both designers present raised an eyebrow and grinned, and said it is certainly a point of interest in the studio..
Again, they said such a thing would arrive at a free point in their schedule, and that it remains quite full at the moment.

The good thing I suppose is that they are interested, and would like to create full 40k supplementary armies along those ideas. I dare say they seem very committed to making more stuff on a regular basis.

To satisfy my own personal interests I asked if there would be anything more for Iron Hands players..
My answer? Same as everything else, in time! Apparently they'd be a big choice for Pre-Heresy stuff, and they'd look at doing Iron Hands dreadnoughts, including a Contemptor.
They'd likely get the shoulderpads and other parts, like bionics.

The way to get what you want? Email, drop suggestions on Facebook, the usual kinda ways. They look interested in taking suggestions, apparently some of their big things have come from single sentences and off-the-cuff ideas.

LoreDraconis
07-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Awesome all my fw will be able to be used in normal games without debate if i can or not! Id love to see a Iron hands/Sons of medusa book!

Hell yeah! Overdue...lets get rolling on this!!

CrimsonTurkey
07-07-2012, 01:14 PM
I think what we need is an Inquisitorial list. Stormtroopers as a troops choice and Valks a dedicated transports. I imagine an inquisitorial strike force would look like a best-of-the-best Elysian force with a smattering of weird artefacts, psykers, and other Inquisition-only toys.

You know you want to see the army.

gcsmith
07-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Im not sure on 3d printing, im sure the quality of product will suffer.

After all there is a difference between molten plastic, and plastic dust stuck together.

gendoikari87
07-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Im not sure on 3d printing, im sure the quality of product will suffer.

After all there is a difference between molten plastic, and plastic dust stuck together.

3d printing is vastly higher in quality, it's not plastic, it's photocured resin. I'm actually having someone sculpt me a character right now and for the weapons he's using shapeways, which is much higher detail than he could sculpt, so it's actually better than what you can achieve with current methods.

gcsmith
07-07-2012, 02:06 PM
again it's still dust put together, Im not about detail, but ability to actually take the stress and strain of use.

Flammenwerfer13
07-07-2012, 02:41 PM
The FW codices thing is plausible. The GW FAQ saying they can be used in regular games is also plausible, though sad it has to come to that. Fact is that is already the case, the only thing stopping it is peoples ridiculous prejudice against FW units.

GW already have a North American production facility. They don't produce FW units because it means having to produce multiples of all the moulds and send them out to the US at great expense. I do not consider this plausible either. The question of a FW production centre in NA comes up on the facebook page every month or so and the answer is the same: not financially or logistically viable.

Eldargirl tell me it isn't so! GW (Forgeworld) lying to their customers, denying any questions, misdirections, and just plain old hording of info. No this isn't the same company we've seen do all this and more.

Flammenwerfer13
07-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I think what we need is an Inquisitorial list. Stormtroopers as a troops choice and Valks a dedicated transports. I imagine an inquisitorial strike force would look like a best-of-the-best Elysian force with a smattering of weird artefacts, psykers, and other Inquisition-only toys.

You know you want to see the army.

Please?!

DarkLink
07-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Does this mean that GW is going to stop wasting time with variant Marine codices and actually provide some support for other armies? Let Forgeworld handle the variant chapters, and give Sisters and Tau and the like a new codex.

gendoikari87
07-07-2012, 05:38 PM
again it's still dust put together, Im not about detail, but ability to actually take the stress and strain of use.

it's not dust, it's liquid. heat hardened resin. As an aside, resin composites are now being used as tank armor.

Wildeybeast
07-08-2012, 04:34 AM
Keep in mind that most of the 'dexs they've already done are heavily based around existing plastic kits (DKOK/renegades/Elysians using the guard's motorpool, Tyrant's army using guard and space marine models, corsairs based around Eldar etc). If they did a Salamanders 'dex, they'd release a Salamanders conversion kit, a special character or two and maybe a new weapon option for the Predator or something, not a whole new model range.

And how does that constitute a codex? That stuff could easily be incorporated into an Imperial Armour volume (as such things curently are), the book will only be half a dozen pages if that's all it has in it.

Deadlift
07-08-2012, 05:26 AM

I am with you on this, no other codex space marine chapter in my opinion warrants it's own codex more than the IH, after delving into their back story and chapter organisation it's obvious to me that they are so different they warrant it. Hell I would say with their clans, lack of a true chapter master and their veneration of Dreadnoughts as clan leaders that they have more in common with spacewolves than standard codex chapters.

eldargal
07-08-2012, 05:50 AM
To hell with more Marine chapters, let's see some Craftworld codices. If people can justify different Marine chapters because they organise their little clubs differently, how about entirely seperate, autonomous kingdoms of Eldar that each pursue radically different agendas and methods of warfare?:p

Also, Adeptus Mechanicus.

gendoikari87
07-08-2012, 06:04 AM
To hell with more Marine chapters, let's see some Craftworld codices. If people can justify different Marine chapters because they organise their little clubs differently, how about entirely seperate, autonomous kingdoms of Eldar that each pursue radically different agendas and methods of warfare?:p

it really is a shame how only one side of the imperium is really represented on the table top.

eldargal
07-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Frankly when nearly half the current codices are Marine the idea of FW doing even more just fills me with despair. :(I get that they sell well, but so do Xenos when you support them properly and give them pretty models. Look at Dark Eldar.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-08-2012, 07:21 AM
And how does that constitute a codex? That stuff could easily be incorporated into an Imperial Armour volume (as such things curently are), the book will only be half a dozen pages if that's all it has in it....couldn't the same argument apply to say, the Blood/Dark Angels, Space Wolves etc? But those seem to work out fine. I assume it'll have fluff and such.

Hopefully not being in Imperial Armours will result in more frequent releases and being less... intensely priced. I'd buy an Imperial Armour, but at least 10% of the price is paying for a dozen pages of full-color Rhinos or Chimeras :P

gendoikari87
07-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Frankly when nearly half the current codices are Marine the idea of FW doing even more just fills me with despair. :(I get that they sell well, but so do Xenos when you support them properly and give them pretty models. Look at Dark Eldar.

I think with the inclusion of FW models and rules eldar are getting a huge boost, and will likely see a huge resurgence in table top use, heck Now that I think about it that farseer wraithlord is useable as are those jetpacks and the wasp thing.... hmmmmm might do eldar after my mechanicus army.

Wildeybeast
07-08-2012, 08:40 AM
...couldn't the same argument apply to say, the Blood/Dark Angels, Space Wolves etc? But those seem to work out fine. I assume it'll have fluff and such.

Hopefully not being in Imperial Armours will result in more frequent releases and being less... intensely priced. I'd buy an Imperial Armour, but at least 10% of the price is paying for a dozen pages of full-color Rhinos or Chimeras :P

Hmm, a fair point I suppose. C:BA only has half a dozen or so unique units and those a mainly variants on existing ones.

One issue that occurs to me though is the level of cooperation this will require between FW and GW main. FW is supposed to be it's own seperate company, doing its own stuff and not beholden to the the main design studio. If they stop doing extra stuff for exisiting armies and start making new ones, there will have to be a significant level of cooperation. If a standalone Salamanders codex was released tomorrow, how would that work when you can take Salamanders as part of C:SM? A greater level of cooperation reduces the autonomy of FW and I'm not sure that is either a good thing or something that GW would want to do

magickbk
07-08-2012, 09:12 AM
The horrible part of all this wishlisting is that we already had most of this stuff in 3rd Edition 40K via the mini-codexes (Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Codex Armageddon, Craftworld Eldar, Catachans) and the Index Astartes and Chapter Approved lists.

I am not all the way through my 6th edition book yet, but it looks to me like GW is positioning itself to open up to some more variety again. We can only hope that these rumors are true. Not everything may be equal, but at least we'll have a lot of options!

wittdooley
07-08-2012, 09:32 AM
3d printing is vastly higher in quality, it's not plastic, it's photocured resin. I'm actually having someone sculpt me a character right now and for the weapons he's using shapeways, which is much higher detail than he could sculpt, so it's actually better than what you can achieve with current methods.

Didn't realize that shape ways had their own dev kit. Most people are prob using z-brush to do their DIgi sculpting these days. I'd argue that, done by a master, the detail achieved can be greater, but mediocre z-brushing just ends up looking like mid early 2000s bad cgi.

wittdooley
07-08-2012, 09:36 AM
I think with the inclusion of FW models and rules eldar are getting a huge boost, and will likely see a huge resurgence in table top use, heck Now that I think about it that farseer wraithlord is useable as are those jetpacks and the wasp thing.... hmmmmm might do eldar after my mechanicus army.

I think this is an interesting commentary thread (not just gendo) because most of the large tournaments in the US already allow FW units in your army comp. I know adepticon does, and I'm fairly sure FoB does too.

It's kinds lame to me that y'all have folks that won't "let you" use your FW units. :-/. But like many, can't tell u how excited I am for more FW goodness.

Deadlift
07-08-2012, 10:38 AM
:p

:p lol, you know it makes sense.

Defenestratus
07-08-2012, 03:21 PM
FW selling models in the stores? HA!! I can't wait. After all the *****ing about Finecast - I'd like to see the humorous moniker that's applied to the heinous delivery quality of FW kits.

billytwix
07-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Forgecast: just slightly more expensive than gold

gendoikari87
07-08-2012, 06:26 PM
FW selling models in the stores? HA!! I can't wait. After all the *****ing about Finecast - I'd like to see the humorous moniker that's applied to the heinous delivery quality of FW kits.

Everything I got from forgeworld was near perfect.

Black Hydra
07-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Hey, I wouldn't mind some Chaos Eldar. Now that I would pay some serious cash for!

gendoikari87
07-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Hey, I wouldn't mind some Chaos Eldar. Now that I would pay some serious cash for!

I believe those are called dark eldar, or at least as chaosy as you get without your soul being eaten.

Black Hydra
07-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I believe those are called dark eldar, or at least as chaosy as you get without your soul being eaten.

No, those are renegade, self indulgent, crazy *** masochists. Without the chaos. And no psykers. A chaos eldar army would have a Slaanesh Eldar daemon prince, with propa daemon support and psykers and whatnot. Totally different style of play from Dark Eldar, not to mention the differences fluffwise.

Houghten
07-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Yyyyyeah I just can't see that happening. You know what the Slaanesh daemon prince calls the Eldar? Snacks.

Black Hydra
07-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Actually there was an Eldar who pleased Slaanesh so much he/she/it ascended him to the rank of daemon prince. My friend used to play Eldar way back in the day and read that piece of fluff. If Black Templar can ally themselves with Xenos psykers then anything is possible. Oh wait apparently they used to do that back in the Rogue Trader days, so yah anything is possible.

eldargal
07-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Thereare Chaos Eldar, they aren't Dark Eldar. Most of them live i the Eye of Terror and are hinted at being extraoardinarily terrifying and powerful. Eldar psychics + Dark Eldar reflexes & brutality + daemonic influence = nasty.

eldargal
07-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Fom Forge Worlds Facebook page:

Forge World do not and don't plan to write Codices, nor are our models going to be sold in GW stores.

We're not going to debate the whys and wherefores of products available in stores, save to say that supplying the global GW retail chains would put unsustainable pressure on our manufacturing team.

I like it when I'm completely right.:rolleyes:

Cpt Codpiece
07-09-2012, 04:37 AM
No, those are renegade, self indulgent, crazy *** masochists. Without the chaos. And no psykers.

technically the CWE are the renegades, choosing to not partake in what their entire race was doing (as much) then running away when the excriment hit the fan.

crone world eldar has always been one of my favorite pieces of unexplored eldar fluff....... then came the dark eldar :confused: and their dire codex and models (3rd) then atlansaar was pulled from the eye :eek: yeah...... there goes the crone world fluff.

eldargal
07-09-2012, 04:44 AM
Altansar was never a Crone World, crone worlds are the original Eldar homeworlds not the craftworlds built to escape them. There have been crone worlds mentioned in the fluff, in fact in the Eye of Terror campaign the eldar were able to free a small portion of one from the warp (Eidolon I believe) and establish an enclave there that they hoped to expand. Now that is a fascinating piece of fluff that should be expanded upon.:(

Black Hydra
07-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Eldargal to the rescue! Thanks for not beating up my crazy ideas, gal. Chaos Eldar would be interesting IMO because it shows that Eldar are not incorruptible. In fact they always struggle with Chaos. Think about it, the Craftworlds' Path system is designed to keep them focused so as to shut Chaos (or temptations same thing) out. Exodites live simple lives with minimal tech so as to not fall to temptation again. And Dark Eldar simply suck the lives out of their victims through torture to evade death. Even outcasts prove that they have to be careful. They aren't incorruptible due to their "magnificence" but because they work hard for it.

What I figured would be a good fluffy reason for Chaos Eldar is that Slaanesh is tired of not getting enough Eldar souls. So he cracks a plan that starts by influencing the young Eldar who are about to leave a Craftworld as outcasts. He would tell them that being stuck in a Craftworld with little freedom is no life. But being away from those he cares about is no good either. Promising the Eldar power and exemption from being Slaanesh's dinner, the Eldar would start a cult of freedom that is actually a chaos cult. They would sacrifice all Eldar that stand in their way to Slaanesh and gain power among their Craftworld. This way Slaanesh gets more Eldar souls and has a method to gain them faster. In the end when all the opposing Eldar are dead (as in every single one including Dark Eldar), Slaanesh betrays those he gave power to and eats them. Saving the best for last. Just as planned.

Well I don't want to get off topic and I've thought up a lot more to it than this, but it would make a good campaign setting for corsairs trying to rescue their home craftworld from a chaos cult. The imperials can get involved in some way as always and there you go.

Also Croneworlds would be excellent fluff to explore. Eldar struggling against their Chaos brethren in retaking their worlds would also make a good campaign setting.

Black Hydra
07-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Great the forums hiccuped and caused a double post.

bfmusashi
07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I always liked how the founder of the Striking Scorpions burns with the dark fire of Chaos, but has there been any reference to the Chaos Eldar since their first codex?

Black Hydra
07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
To be honest all the references I can find are quotes from forums by very skillful forumites. Not even the Lexicanum has any references to them though I swear to the Dark Gods I once found a reference to a Craftworld (not Altansar) that fell to Chaos. There was a Black Library book mentioned in the Heresy forums that seemed to imply some Croneworld Eldar gave themselves up to Slaanesh but weren't mentioned as Eldar. So it's very ambiguous at best. That's about as much (including the Eldar Daemon Prince) as I could find on Chaos Eldar. Which is much more than I expected. There is mention of a Chaos Eldar miniature from Rogue Trader days, but apparently was never fully released and was the building concept for Dark Eldar. All of this is just conjecture though and we'll never really know.

eldargal
07-11-2012, 01:48 AM
I had an email back from FW, they have absolutely no intention of writing codices, everything they write builds upon existing codices. They also explicitly ruled out supplying GW stores and a North American production facility. I forgot to ask if they minded if I quoted the email on forums or not.

Edit: Ok, they say they don't mind me quoting from the email, so:

A Horus Heresy book is something that we would love to work on, as we've mentioned, and undoubtedly it will be done at some stage. The rumour that there will be three books by the end of this year is, however, completely untrue.

Sadly the rumour regarding a North American production facility is incorrect as well; as we've mentioned a few times the demand that supplying a global retail chain would put on us would be astronomical. Suffice to say that while Imperial Armour and Warhammer Forge books will continue to be sold on the shelves of GW stores, our models will remain a direct-only range that you can find at www.forgeworld.co.uk.

We don't, and never have, written Codices. We'll almost certainly continue to publish variant army lists such as the Death Korps and Elysian regiments, or the Siege Assault Vanguard list, but these are not and do not replace the relevant Codex from which they are drawn. Everything we write is designed to expand and build upon the Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer backgrounds, so while all our rules should be considered official expansions to the relevant game (as discussed in IAA2ndEd, for example), like all expansions their tournament permissibility is down to the tournament organisers themselves.

JxKxR
07-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Thanks Eldargal, It would have been sweet...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-11-2012, 08:46 AM
There's my dreams of having more bent Red Scorpions blown out of the window. :D

Inquisitor S.
07-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Didn't the second edition Imperial Guard Codex say something about Chaos Eldar? In the Cursus story on Tallarn?

Wildeybeast
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
I had an email back from FW, they have absolutely no intention of writing codices, everything they write builds upon existing codices. They also explicitly ruled out supplying GW stores and a North American production facility. I forgot to ask if they minded if I quoted the email on forums or not.

Edit: Ok, they say they don't mind me quoting from the email, so:

Thanks for that EG, it's good to get official clarification from them (though the conspiracy nuts will doubtless maintain they were obviously going to deny everything). The current way FW works is the right one IMO (though more Xenos would be nice) and they should continue to do what works well for them.

gendoikari87
07-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for that EG, it's good to get official clarification from them (though the conspiracy nuts will doubtless maintain they were obviously going to deny everything). The current way FW works is the right one IMO (though more Xenos would be nice) and they should continue to do what works well for them.

Yeah because if we called up GW and asked them when the next space marine codex is coming out they're going to be SOOOOO forthcoming. You'd have to be an idiot to believe that.

That being said there is no good evidence they ARE going to.

Bellumvinco
07-12-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't understand this one at all. If the Forgeworld stuff was going to be made mainstream, wouldn't it have been in the giant RULEBOOK that was just released?

Black Hydra
07-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Didn't the second edition Imperial Guard Codex say something about Chaos Eldar? In the Cursus story on Tallarn?

No idea, but I'll definitely follow that lead.

As for no FW codices, a shame but expected in a way. Who knows maybe it is all a conspiracy...:eek: