PDA

View Full Version : Rending: King of close combat yet again.

thecactusman17
07-05-2012, 10:23 AM
With power weapons getting significantly reduced in overall power, the humble Rending rule catapults once again into the limelight. Being one of the only methods of getting ap2 in close combat without sacrificing initiative, this is now the number one way to strike first and hard enough to kill even terminators.

So what units do you how to run either to capitalize on this rule or to negate it?

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
It gave Daemonettes a comparative boost, they used to be outshined by Bloodletters, but now have a reasonable place alongside them.

Wildcard
07-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Hmm what units / weapons in general have the Rending rule?

Aramel
07-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Eldar Harlequins can be given rending for 4pts/model, have furious charge, 2 combat weapons and 2 attacks base. With a Shadowseer they now have +3 to any cover save, ignore terrain and have a 5+invul and generally I6 WS 5. Almost as good as gene stealers in combat and vastly more survivable.

Lore Weaver
07-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Rending is good, and your analysis is correct.

*however* Warscythes are better. mmmm 10 Lychguard with Warscythes in a Nightscythe with a pair of 2+ Lords to soak up AP3 wounds.

thecactusman17
07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
The trouble with warscythes is that no matter how good your weapon is, the model carrying it is still only I2..

Lore Weaver
07-05-2012, 12:20 PM
That's true, but I2 strikes before I1. I'll take Lychguard in a Fight over fisty-armed termies 100% of the time.

ragnarcissist
07-05-2012, 01:01 PM
ahhh mark of the wulfen, you just keep getting better and better!!

Maelstorm
07-05-2012, 02:03 PM
My new favorite:

6 Canoptyk Wraiths: Jump Troops, 3++ saves, Multiple Wounds, Multiple attacks, Strength 6, Rending with Whips to make all of your opponents in B2B Init 1

To improve the Canoptyk Wraith Mayhem: Attach a Destroyer Lord (Jump Troop) HQ with Warscythe and prefered enemy: "Everything!" He can even add all of the "toys" a regular Necron Lord can take.

With the new rules, will he add his "Prefered Enemy - Everything!" to the Canoptyk Wraith squad?

Lerra
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Notable units with lots of rending attacks: Fiends of Slaanesh, Seekers of Slaanesh, Genestealers, DE Beastmasters and Razorwing Flocks, DE and Eldar Harlequins, Tyranid Warriors . . . I'm probably forgetting a bunch, too.

The AKH
07-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Captain Shrike - rending lightning claws...

plawolf
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Blood Angels Death Company got a big buff with rage now granting +2A on the charge. If you really want to go nuts, take a 8 men DC squad, add Lemartes, attach the Sanguinor, stuff them all in a stormraven with a blood talon DC dread.

Each DC thus gets 2 base + 2 rage + 1 for dual CCW + 1 from the Sanguinor's aura of fervour on the charge. That's 6A for each DC on the charge, so on average you are looking at a rend per model with re-rolls on everything. Probably now one of, if not the hardest hitting take all comers CC units in the game with a price tag to match.

slobulous
07-05-2012, 06:14 PM
attach the Sanguinor

I'm pretty sure the Sanguinor cannot attach to units because he lacks the Independent Character special rule. Might be wrong though

helvexis
07-05-2012, 06:18 PM
5 beastmasters 3 khymerae for the invulnerable save up front and 8 razorwing flocks is 48 rending attacks on the charge, 10 attacks from the bm and 12 s4 attacks from the khymerae presuming they make it.

i think i would have 1 flock and one khymerae at the front so i could try to sock up some small arms on a flock and the instant death on the other ... or take a fiend for the extra wounds and high str attacks

its a huge shame the flocks are $21au per BASE! ... ... ...

thecactusman17
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Helvexis, the smart way to do those flocks is to buy a Fantasy flying horde unit like Fell Bats and count-as for your units. Same for all of the beasts actually--get something unique to fantasy, paint it up weird, attach some guitar wire (the future is tubes and hoses, apparently) and voila: instant beast pack.

BTW plawolf, the Sanguinor is not an independent character. He cannot join units.

ShotDownMind
07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Beastmasters are characters so they can look out sir on 4+.

FYI for beastmaster greatness.

10 kymerea and 6 razorwings = 76 attacks, 36 rending.

more fyi.

:eek:

Mesi
07-06-2012, 04:34 AM
Blood Angels Death Company got a big buff with rage now granting +2A on the charge. If you really want to go nuts, take a 8 men DC squad, add Lemartes, attach the Sanguinor, stuff them all in a stormraven with a blood talon DC dread.

Each DC thus gets 2 base + 2 rage + 1 for dual CCW + 1 from the Sanguinor's aura of fervour on the charge. That's 6A for each DC on the charge, so on average you are looking at a rend per model with re-rolls on everything. Probably now one of, if not the hardest hitting take all comers CC units in the game with a price tag to match.

Sanguinor isn't an independent character, he cannot join squads.

Also Death Company do not have rending... that was only in the white dwarf release. Which is no longer valid.

If you're planning on spending that many points for Sanguinor you might as well just give them Jump Packs, increase their maneuverability and give them the potential if Hammer of Wrath hits.

Demonus
07-06-2012, 09:25 AM
I wouldnt really call it "Kings of CC" you still need to roll 6s to wound. It also depends on whom you are fighting. Ill take a squad of GK with force swords over any rending troops vs MEQ armor all day long.

Kawauso
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I wouldnt really call it "Kings of CC" you still need to roll 6s to wound. It also depends on whom you are fighting. Ill take a squad of GK with force swords over any rending troops vs MEQ armor all day long.

You're welcome to, but a squad of regular GK have 1 attack base, each.

Most units that have rending attacks or weapons have at least 2 attacks (or more) per model.

To each his own. :)
Though I think it's high time I look into getting some GK as Imperial allies now...finally an excuse to paint some of those models.

Demonus
07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Haha I am of the opinion that it is better to kill several models without them getting a save than wounding double the amount but allowing a 66% save... :)

I love my Wraiths, but there have been plenty of times where I roll in, cause 6+ wounds, and have them shrugged off as none rend.

Kawauso
07-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Haha I am of the opinion that it is better to kill several models without them getting a save than wounding double the amount but allowing a 66% save... :)

I love my Wraiths, but there have been plenty of times where I roll in, cause 6+ wounds, and have them shrugged off as none rend.

The inverse of that being that you fail to hit/wound with your low number of power-weapon attacks. ;)

Demonus
07-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Oh no, I always get plenty of hits....its just failing 2+ saves Im bad at =P

karlthepagan
07-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Daemonhosts (if you roll right on the gift)

Crowe rends on a (4+)... man that looks OP now.

Calgar's shooting is AP2.

Anggul
07-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Raveners with Rending Claws are now even nicer with the new rules for Beasts. 12" movement, re-rolling charge distance, ignoring difficult terrain and the ability to climb ruins.

Tepogue
07-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm wondering though, How many units really need to negate 2+ armour?

Against SM I expect 1 Terminator unit, usually TH/SS

Against Space Wolf - havnt seen a single termie in over a year

Agasint Grey Knights - It's Crowe and purifiers but no terminators

Deathwing - I cannot remember ever fighting against a Deathwing in 20+ years of playing 40k. I just would prefer to not know what my opponent is playing before I make my army list, otherwise i'd be tempted to fine tune the army to my opponent's weaknesses.

IG - Nope no 2+

Xenos - Outside of Orks, are there even any 2+ save troops. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'm not seeing rending as anything more than an interesting and expensive toy. Given that plasma weapons as AP2 and thus make transports blow up easier, I'll just use my ap2 shooting on the terminators.

Souba
07-10-2012, 06:10 PM
my skulltaker will be on the board now often as he already was. he is a beast especially in challenges.

crowe is nice too now. if there wouldnt be that issue of him beeing no IC

Gwyidion
07-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Eldar harlequins get a boost from things like Doom as well - the wording allows the eldar player to re-roll any wounds he chooses, meaning he can reroll successful, but not rending wounds to get more AP2 wounds. It isn't impossible to get 10 AP2 I6 wounds from a full squad of harlequins.

DarkLink
07-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Agasint Grey Knights - It's Crowe and purifiers but no terminators

Expect to see more. Purifiers were usually spammed with razorbacks, because that was the most efficient way to pack in heavy weapons. Now, vehicle spam is dead and msu is weaker. Most GK player who mainly ran Purifier spam or Acolyte spam with Coteaz will likely be rewriting a good portion of their list.

Deathwing will likely stay the same, though. Belial, a Librarian, and a lot of Terminators with THSS and Cyclone Missile Launchers. Throw in a Land Raider, Dreadnought, or some Land Speeders to taste. And that's the whole army.

PhoenixFlame
07-12-2012, 12:19 AM
ahhh mark of the wulfen, you just keep getting better and better!!

Thunder Wolf Cavalry are looking pretty good too :) Rending + Cavalry + Hammer of Wrath :cool: