PDA

View Full Version : new tank hull rule and assaults rules

xilton
07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
OK, I didn't see a thread yet with this so here it goes. You guys think the vehicles in general got a big nerf. Meaing that in all cases, they are far more fragile then they were.

Rhinos are still gonna go down fast but even faster and big tanks like landraiders are going to go down faster also because of this rule instead of making them stronger like it should be.

Also, I like landraiders a lot but add to this the fact you can't assault 18" (can't disembark past 6" anymore) makes them useless i think.
Same goes for speeders ect with 2 hull points and dreadnoughts with 3 I think. Everything will go down faster.

I know some will say flyers have become better in some way but only if zooming.But even then, 3 glancing hits and down it goes. stormtalon 2 hull ponts ?!? I didn't read anything in the BRB that talks about flying transports (stormraven for example). move 6" o disembark ?? might as well say good bye and crash. Can they still move 12" and disembark? I'm sure I'm missing something I haven't read cause some of this is just to big a nerf to vehicles to make sense at all. Not to mention if it is the case, GW will cut on sales for not making vehicles usable which it's not something they want.

What are your views on this part of the game that was very present in 5ed but seems to be going out in 6ed.

Thanatos_elNyx
07-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Also, I like landraiders a lot but add to this the fact you can't assault 18" (can't disembark past 6" anymore) makes them useless i think.

Sure you can.
Move 6", Deploy 6" and roll 6+ on 2D6.

Kawauso
07-05-2012, 10:01 AM
I know some will say flyers have become better in some way but only if zooming.But even then, 3 glancing hits and down it goes. stormtalon 2 hull ponts ?!?

And how do you propose anything takes off those hull points when a flyer is zooming?

You have to rolls 6's to hit, and that's before you make any rolls to try and glance/pen to get at those hull points.

Flyers are pretty damn tough.

Archon Charybdis
07-05-2012, 10:35 AM
And how do you propose anything takes off those hull points when a flyer is zooming?

You have to rolls 6's to hit, and that's before you make any rolls to try and glance/pen to get at those hull points.

Flyers are pretty damn tough.

Other flyers can do it pretty ably. Hydras are fantastic at it, and anybody who buys an Aegis with the Quad Gun has a pretty good shot as well.

xilton
07-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Sure you can.
Move 6", Deploy 6" and roll 6+ on 2D6.

True. didn't think of that 6" deployment.

As for flyers, well getting 6s isn't that bad if you really want that flyer down. Penetration should not be a problem after that considering the low armor. Even less glancing it 3 times. They are only tougher since you need 6's which is just a question of shooting at it more on average.

Mr Mystery
07-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Way to present a one sided view!

Glancing hits do not impede vehicles one iota now. Sure, my Necrons warriors can strip a Dread to it's constituent atoms with great speed, but now if the dice Gods decide it's time I got a proper shoeing, and I bag less than three glances, it's going to tear my little Robotic legs off and jam them up my android chuff because I can no long stun, shake, immobilise or otherwise inconvenience in that way!

Scare of glancing hits? Then use cunning positioning to shield your rear armour. And whilst you're at it, why not accept the days of Rhino Rush / Tank Spam are justifiably over. No more. Gone. Extinct. Exterminatis has been called on an exceptionally dull 'tactic'.

Combine your arms young man! Provide covering fire. Pick as choose your assaults. Come at him from multiple angles, focussing your efforts whilst ensuring the enemy remains cut off and isolated. Use infiltrators and scouts to engage and tie up his rearguard.

Favoured strategy for my Necrons at the moment? Form a solid centre comprised of Warriors and Immortals, anchored at either end by an Annihilation Barge. Set up with room to fall back, and use my fast elements as pincers, shattering his flanks, funnelling him into the horrendous crossfire of my centre.

Tanks haven't been 'nerfed' in the least. The are more mobile than ever. You just can't be sloppy with them anymore.

DarkLink
07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Ranged firepower from tanks has been buffed, so anything with a gun can still do damage as long as you keep it alive. But transports have been nerfed, and because by definition transports are mainly used to get you closer to the enemy it's difficult to protect them. They still have a purpose, but now you'll need to justify bringing a transsport rather than automatically taking one with every single unit.

By extension, MSU builds, for Marines in particular, are out the window. You can't effectively protect that many 5-man squads anymore, because their vehicles are so much more fragile, and out in the open 5 Marines are easy to kill.

Land Raiders have the advantage of being almost immune to anything but gauss and melta. Keep 18" away from the enemy and you'll be pretty safe, but still able to charge in and kill stuff when the time's right.

Vehicles have changed from being auto-include back to being 'it has its place'. Single best change of 6th.

Glancing hits do not impede vehicles one iota now. Sure, my Necrons warriors can strip a Dread to it's constituent atoms with great speed, but now if the dice Gods decide it's time I got a proper shoeing, and I bag less than three glances, it's going to tear my little Robotic legs off and jam them up my android chuff because I can no long stun, shake, immobilise or otherwise inconvenience in that way!

It's is a contraction of 'it is'. The word you're looking for is 'its'. I only mention it because you use it's incorrectly like ten times in two sentences.

Mr Mystery
07-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Ranged firepower from tanks has been buffed, so anything with a gun can still do damage as long as you keep it alive. But transports have been nerfed, and because by definition transports are mainly used to get you closer to the enemy it's difficult to protect them. They still have a purpose, but now you'll need to justify bringing a transsport rather than automatically taking one with every single unit.

By extension, MSU builds, for Marines in particular, are out the window. You can't effectively protect that many 5-man squads anymore, because their vehicles are so much more fragile, and out in the open 5 Marines are easy to kill.

Land Raiders have the advantage of being almost immune to anything but gauss and melta. Keep 18" away from the enemy and you'll be pretty safe, but still able to charge in and kill stuff when the time's right.

Vehicles have changed from being auto-include back to being 'it has its place'. Single best change of 6th.

It's is a contraction of 'it is'. The word you're looking for is 'its'. I only mention it because you use it's incorrectly like ten times in two sentences.
Erm... Thanks for the grammar lesson?

xilton
07-06-2012, 08:19 AM
I don't think the snap shot is much of a boost in terms of you still need 6s to hit so that won't change the game very much for tanks. Just a lucky shot here and there. Troops, more so.

The hull points system, is definitely a somewhat big nerf to tanks in general BUT I think all it will do is eliminate armies that didn't go all mech. All mech lists are still viable since there will be so many tanks that it will take a lot to take them all out compared to someone like me that doesn't spam tanks but use them here and there. It will just take a few adjustments from the players to make sure the troops inside them are a bit more viable outside the tank then before since many will see daylight more then they did.