PDA

View Full Version : Blast missiles with Skyfire?

thecactusman17
07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
So my Razorwing zooms onto the table, and sees a zooming enemy flyer up ahead. The enemy flyer is positioned above enemy models.

In addition to my Dark lances, I want to fire my Monoscythe Missiles, S6AP5 Large Blast weapons. According to the Flyer rules, blast weapons automatically miss flyers. But there is nothing to say I can't fire them anyway.

What, if anything, is hit? The Large Blasts automatically miss the zooming flyer according to the rules, but do I hit the models underneath the blasts?

gcsmith
07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
No, since the missles can not be aimed to hit the models on the ground, It can be aimed at the flyer but automatically misses.

thecactusman17
07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Blast weapons hit anything under the template though, don't they?

DarkLink
07-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Does it say that blasts automatically miss flyers, or that flyers ignore blasts? If they auto miss, then there's no template to even hit other units with at all. Otherwise, you can shoot and potentially hit other targets, you just won't affect the flyer.

JamesP
07-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Does it say that blasts automatically miss flyers, or that flyers ignore blasts? If they auto miss, then there's no template to even hit other units with at all. Otherwise, you can shoot and potentially hit other targets, you just won't affect the flyer.

Top left of page 81, under 'Hard to Hit': '...Template, Blast and Large Blast weapons cannot hit Flyers in Zoom mode.'

So I would think that your first interpretation applies if you decided for some reason to fire a Template, Blast or Large Blast at a Flyer - the shot is wasted and the template/ marker vanishes. If you fire at another unit, then your second point kicks in: the Flyer is unaffected even if it falls within the area of the template/ blast marker.

thecactusman17
07-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Top left of page 81, under 'Hard to Hit': '...Template, Blast and Large Blast weapons cannot hit Flyers in Zoom mode.'

So I would think that your first interpretation applies if you decided for some reason to fire a Template, Blast or Large Blast at a Flyer - the shot is wasted and the template/ marker vanishes. If you fire at another unit, then your second point kicks in: the Flyer is unaffected even if it falls within the area of the template/ blast marker.

Is three any rules that say what happen if a blast weapon counts as automatically missing its intended target? Isn't rolling anything other than "on target" a miss to begin with?

rle68
07-05-2012, 11:35 PM
"common sense" would be the missle cannot target the flyer thus its tracking systems fails to arm and the missle doesnt fire

but we all know how gw is with common sense

Chris*ta
07-09-2012, 10:06 AM
"common sense" would be the missle cannot target the flyer thus its tracking systems fails to arm and the missle doesnt fire

Sadly, I think the problem with common sense is in players who use RAW, and haven't noticed that GW often follows RAI/what makes sense/what seems cool. And that this is the best way to play.

kjolnir
07-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Blast weapons hit anything under the template though, don't they?

Template, Blast, and Large Blast weapons are explicitly excluded from being able to hit Swooping/Zooming Flyers. Page 48 under FMCs, and 81 under Flyers. They're both in the Hard to Hit rule.

kjolnir
07-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Is three any rules that say what happen if a blast weapon counts as automatically missing its intended target? Isn't rolling anything other than "on target" a miss to begin with?

If you automatically miss, then there is no template placed at all.

dreadnaughtguy
07-09-2012, 12:29 PM
I would probably house rule it.

you roll to hit at -2 ballistic skill if it hits it does a single hit at str to the target. If it misses roll for scatter with the missle strike always missing full measurment and if a hit is rolled in the direction of the arrow on the scatter. like the orbital strike relay for GK.

think of all the dog fight movies you have ever seen, when they miss the shot hits something else. That is why pilets try to never fight over a city.

bfmusashi
07-09-2012, 09:22 PM

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the 20 ratings I have walking in a wooden wheel so I can aim my macro cannon. I half suspect the Imperium's tanks are bicycle powered and the idea of a launch safety on a missile is a bit beyond anyone's ken.