PDA

View Full Version : Higgs Boson particle probably found

eldargal
07-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Press Release from CERN (http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2012/PR17.12E.html):

Geneva, 4 July 2012. At a seminar held at CERN1 today as a curtain raiser to the year’s major particle physics conference, ICHEP2012 in Melbourne, the ATLAS and CMS experiments presented their latest preliminary results in the search for the long sought Higgs particle. Both experiments observe a new particle in the mass region around 125-126 GeV.

“We observe in our data clear signs of a new particle, at the level of 5 sigma, in the mass region around 126 GeV. The outstanding performance of the LHC and ATLAS and the huge efforts of many people have brought us to this exciting stage,” said ATLAS experiment spokesperson Fabiola Gianotti, “but a little more time is needed to prepare these results for publication.”

"The results are preliminary but the 5 sigma signal at around 125 GeV we’re seeing is dramatic. This is indeed a new particle. We know it must be a boson and it’s the heaviest boson ever found,” said CMS experiment spokesperson Joe Incandela. “The implications are very significant and it is precisely for this reason that we must be extremely diligent in all of our studies and cross-checks."

I'm in ur matter, givin it mass

Now two things need to happen:

1) My mother needs to stop calling it Biggs Ho-son.
2) They need to find element zero (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Element_Zero).

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 11:46 AM
What's that Tetravon? Only 2.9 Sigma, ok sssshh, time for proper high energy physics

Gotthammer
07-04-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm in ur matter, givin it mass

Yo momma so fat, she has mass whether or not the Higgs-Boson exists [/ohsnap]

I also agree on #2, though I'd settle for making contact with Thessia.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Awesome! :D It's pronounced bows-on isn't it?

Aldramelech
07-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Can someone explain to me in basic English why we should care? What will be the practical benefits of this?

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Because it explains why things have mass.
The practical benefits could lead to things like tractor beams and gravity manipulation making it easier to move heavier objects but that is quite a stretch at the moment.
We are yet to truly utilise quantum mechanics and that has been around for quite a while.

Mr Mystery
07-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Can someone explain to me in basic English why we should care? What will be the practical benefits of this?

Well, this sort of research really, REALLY irritates the right wing God botherers. That makes it all worth while in my book!

Science. Trolling religion since the renaissance!

Aldramelech
07-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Well, this sort of research really, REALLY irritates the right wing God botherers. That makes it all worth while in my book!

I'll give you that one, but apart from that what have the Romans done for us? ;)

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 02:43 PM

I'm not really sure I would go that far, since they both ask different questions they both get different answers. Science does not disprove god any more than it proves it.
The issues you have are with people who are creationists, whom are a relatively modern phenomenon.

DarkLink
07-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Why does being an ******* seem to be a prerequisite for being an atheist? The bible's not a scientific document, and this isn't some sort of contest, so why the conflict?

And did someone seriously just ask "why should I care if someone just made an important discover in physics"? The reason we're even on the internet right now is because, a few hundred years ago, some random dude accidentally electrocuted himself and wondered why.

MaltonNecromancer
07-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Well, to paraphrase some very learned gentlemen on Radio 4 this morning:

The last particle we discovered was the electron (about 115 years ago). This made possible the science of electronics - the manipulation of the electron, to better suit our needs. Or, to put it another way, the last discovered particle made it possible for you and I to converse on this forum. Now, granted, that advance took time, but it wouldn't have been possible without the discovery of the electron. The electron gave us computers, iphones, light, refrigeration, tasers, pacemakers, and so on.

Now, imagine what manipulation of the particle that creates mass could give us.

Imagine a vehicle that can alter the Higgs-Boson particles above and below it, reducing its mass artificially so they float off the floor without any use of explosive fuel. Reactionless antigravity vehicles.

Imagine a space vehicle without solid-fuel engines - it simply adjusts its Higgs-Boson particles at the front to increase the gravity, and "falls" through space.

Imagine rioters kicking off, who suddenly gain 500 pounds of mass and fall to the floor, unable to move. Imagine an enemy army pinned to the floor under additional mass you have given them.

Imagine being able to fly. To truly fly - we could have jetpacks that worked.

In 115 years, think of the advances the electron made possible. Now imagine control of the mass of objects; this is potentially what the Higgs-Boson could give us. Not only that, but it provides clues to some fairly pertinent questions about the universe - like did it actually have a beginning, or has it just always been here, without any beginning or end? (This is what the current deterministic view of the universe suggests - assuming that the universe had a beginning makes an assumption that the "natural" state of the universe is for there to be nothing, as well as a vast number of assumptions about the nature of time. There's a strong possibility that the nature of the universe is for there to simply be stuff... for no reason we can possibly fathom. As far as we can tell we're just here because we are.) Consider the possibility that the "Big Bang" was a localised phenomenon - an unimaginably vast explosion... but only if you're a human. If you're the universe, the "Big" bang was so small as to be irrelevant; just one of untold billions that happen all the time. Knowledge of the Higgs-Boson draws us closer to having concrete explanations for all these things. The true nature of the universe (which is, unsurisingly, incredibly complicated).

I actually asked a friend who's now working on his doctorate in plasma physics at MIT if he could explain the Higgs-Boson in layman's terms (as he has a phenomenal working understandng of it, having been to CERN). He gently explained that without an exceptional understandng of maths (we're talking degree level), it's just not possible to explain in layman's terms. He could dumb it down so far, but after that it was like trying to explain the themes of Hamlet to a small and very earnest chincilla.

At least my coat was glossy.

The bottom line: this is awesome, because it will lead to awesome technology that you won't understand, but will enjoy using. Also, it might make space flight possible. Also, it might explain some really important stuff about the nature of the universe.

This is why you should care.

Why does being an ******* seem to be a prerequisite for being an atheist?

Ummm... Please don't lump all us atheists in as religion bashers. I posit that perhaps you view it as a prerequisite because those atheists are the loud ones - some of us just quietly go about our day not giving a hoot what anyone chooses to believe. I wouldn't dream of saying all Christians were gay-hating, abortion clinic bombers, nor that all Muslims are bearded lunatics. I know many fine and lovely followers of Christ, and my bestest best friend in all the world has been a Muslim all his life. Not that you'd know by talking to any of them - their beliefs are too personal.

We notice the numpties because they're the loud ones, be they irreligious or not.

DarkLink
07-04-2012, 04:28 PM
I know not all atheists are like that, but it seems like every time science gets mentioned on the internet then someone pops up yelling "take that you idiots". Mr Mystery just happened to be the one in this thread.

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 02:01 AM
I'm not sure that the last particle discovery was 115 years ago being the electron.

Leptons of various flavour have been found since then.

As a slight aside, I've found most of the aetheistist I've come across are actually agnostics.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 02:04 AM
I believe in the Nine Divines. :D

Thanatos_elNyx
07-05-2012, 04:23 AM
So this is awesome, literally.

So now all we have to do is merge GR and The Standard Model. Easy peasy.

I know not all atheists are like that, but it seems like every time science gets mentioned on the internet then someone pops up yelling "take that you idiots". Mr Mystery just happened to be the one in this thread.

One person and you conflate to include all. :confused:

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Stephen Hawking is not happy about the discovery (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18708626)

eldargal
07-05-2012, 05:35 AM
See, he should have bet the same amount that it would be found with someone else so he wouldn't end up out of pocket.

energongoodie
07-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Imagine a vehicle that can alter the Higgs-Boson particles above and below it, reducing its mass artificially so they float off the floor without any use of explosive fuel. Reactionless antigravity vehicles.

http://images.wikia.com/bttf/images/7/7e/Bf2freeway.jpg

eldargal
07-05-2012, 05:39 AM
Not to mention the applications in the area of breast restraint apparatus.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Not to mention the applications in the area of breast restraint apparatus.

Wait, what?

eldargal
07-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Anti-gravity brassieres, it's like the higgs boson for commercial breast mechanics researchers.

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 05:46 AM
13 across: breast restraint apparatus initially

Zing

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 05:47 AM
That would lead to the phrase higgs bosom being coined

eldargal
07-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Already has been by my mother, took her months to switch to the marginally more acceptable biggs hoson.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 05:51 AM
And now this talk of breasts has interested me... I shall stay for a while longer.

Why do rich people (stereotypical or not) call them "norks"?

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Damn, the biggs hosson sounds like some sort of hosiery department store

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 06:02 AM
I do not want leg breasts. O_O

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 06:13 AM

Canckles, :shudder:

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 06:26 AM
So a Higgs Boson (Biggs Hoson/ Higgs Bosom) goes to church and the priest says "I'm sorry, but you can't come in here, church is for people only". The particle rather confused by this says "but how can you have Mass without me?"

eldargal
07-05-2012, 06:28 AM
I've never even heard the word norks before.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 06:30 AM
so a higgs boson (biggs hoson/ higgs bosom) goes to church and the priest says "i'm sorry, but you can't come in here, church is for people only". The particle rather confused by this says "but how can you have mass without me?"

Hahahahaha!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 06:35 AM

I have heard it many times on television programs that I do not remember the name of.

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Norks not to be confused with Snorks
http://iremembersnorks.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/460856417_333556af15.jpg?w=500

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Or Orks?

Ork's Norks. Ew.

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Or Orks?

Ork's Norks. Ew.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2120364_99060999185_BBOrcCheerleader_445x319.jpg

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 06:51 AM
(can't see it)

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Ah, it is the Blood Bowl Orc cheerleader, you wo'n't be able to see it because the url is games-workshop

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 06:58 AM
****ing work....... Seriously cannot wait until internet is up in my new place.

Thanatos_elNyx
07-05-2012, 07:06 AM

But isn't breast cleavage reminiscent of arse cleavage; therefore the arse is the legs boobs.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Welp. I am now slightly put off breasts.

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Tizzy, imagine if you will that the legs were hairy

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 07:24 AM
NO! NOnonononononononnonononono!

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 07:38 AM
mwahahaha

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 07:53 AM
You are the rudeys!

Thanatos_elNyx
07-05-2012, 07:53 AM
How did we get to Leg Breasts from the Higgs Boson.
I could try rereading the thread but I'm not sure that would help.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 07:58 AM
In other news, science!

If we can harness it in my time, I will spend ALL THE MONEY making a Falcon.

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 08:07 AM

One word: eldargirl

Although i still keep trying to type Elgargirl :confused:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 08:08 AM
She's become a derailer! :eek:

Also bro, it's "eldargal", as it is a username it requires no grammatical correction as it becomes a noun. :D

Psychosplodge
07-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Yeah, that's not how it works...

eldargal
07-05-2012, 08:12 AM
No I've not, it was a legitimate obsrvation of the potential intimate apparel applications of teh higgs boson discovery if it lets us manipulate the mass of objects.:p Seriously the first company to release bras which cancel the mass of breasts and thus permanently ends the problem of sagging will make a fortune.

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Her training is almost complete

Also bro, it's "eldargal", as it is a username it requires no grammatical correction as it becomes a propernoun. :D
Regardless, it should start with a big E, or become Elgargirl

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 08:14 AM
No I've not, it was a legitimate obsrvation of the potential intimate apparel applications of teh higgs boson discovery if it lets us manipulate the mass of objects. Seriously the first company to release bras which cancel the mass of breasts and thus permanently ends the problem of sagging will make a fortune.

I would not know, I do not have breasts. xD

eldargal
07-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Not yet.

I actually exchanged a couple of emails years ago with a woman who had a PhD in the mechanics of breast movement. Last I heard she was raking in cash consulting for sportswear companies who were all competing to make the perfect sports bra.

Wolfshade
07-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Not yet.

Be warned
-or-
Them are fighting words
-or-
If Tizzy had his own then he wouldn't need the internet

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Don't wish that upon me! I want to stay in shape! :p

Psychosplodge
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
But moobs are so fun...

MaltonNecromancer
07-05-2012, 09:28 AM
But moobs are so fun...

Where I come from, we call them sweaty male dew flaps.

I didn't until I moved Oop North. It's one of many reasons I chose to stay.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
So it's from the North? Interesting...

Psychosplodge
07-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah I can't even really convince myself of that lol

Which part?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-05-2012, 09:34 AM
TTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNEEEEEEE!

I have sounded the Geordie Horn, they must hear me now.

Psychosplodge
07-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Oh, them...

eldargal
07-06-2012, 03:06 AM
So, I sent a Humourous Electronic Missive to a friend at the physics departments of one of our more prestigious universities asking how soon until we discover element zero. Got an email back saying we just did. Apparently what MaltonNecromancer was saying is what a lot of physicists are thinking, we've taken the first step towards developing a way of manipulating Higgs field to increase/cancel the mass of something.

Is there a 'Physics for Dummies' book?:rolleyes:

Build me a fudgecaking Citadel already.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120403193402/masseffect/images/d/d5/ME3_Citadel.png

Psychosplodge
07-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Probably not in this lifetime...

http://tdwgeeks.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/geek-news-nerd-nightly-news3.jpg

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-06-2012, 03:12 AM
HAH! You said fudgecake! Meme theory for the win!

Yes, there is a Physics for Dummies book, I gave it to a mate who's studying it at Uni. :p

And yes, I want the Citadel, that would be epic!

eldargal
07-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Meh, the same could be said of the general populace at the time of the Industrial Revolution or even the computer age. Most humans have always been celebrity obsessed morons. So long as people like Isaac Newton, James Watt, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking etc. etc. keep on thinking, building and experimenting it won't matter.

I only know the names of the three Kardashian sisters 'cos I read that picture, and I will forget them soon. Except for Kim, who I have had the great misfortune to meet. Not a fan of judging people by their media persona, in this case, feel free.

Probably not in this lifetime...

http://tdwgeeks.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/geek-news-nerd-nightly-news3.jpg

Well I actually have some fudge (the real kind) brownie, so it seemed appropriate instead of just using asterisks. I might get Physics for Dummies then. I'm not actually a dummy, but I had to choose between science and humanities and humanities was where I wanted to focus. Of course archaeology is as much a science as it is a humanities but don't get me started on that...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Science? Humanities? *head explodes*
I was going to be a Zoologist... But alas.

I also have some fudge, om nom nom

I do not know any of the Kardamesisaghhrisbd (I don't know how to spell their name) because quite frankly I ignore the celebrity scene.
I'm a weird boy, I don't like Football, I don't like Celebrities, in the grim darkness of 2012 there is ONLY WAR, videogames, and alcohol. (and crazy, crazy women)

Psychosplodge
07-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Meh, the same could be said of the general populace at the time of the Industrial Revolution or even the computer age. Most humans have always been celebrity obsessed morons. So long as people like Isaac Newton, James Watt, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking etc. etc. keep on thinking, building and experimenting it won't matter.

I only know the names of the three Kardashian sisters 'cos I read that picture, and I will forget them soon. Except for Kim, who I have had the great misfortune to meet. Not a fan of judging people by their media persona, in this case, feel free.

Well I actually have some fudge (the real kind) brownie, so it seemed appropriate instead of just using asterisks. I might get Physics for Dummies then. I'm not actually a dummy, but I had to choose between science and humanities and humanities was where I wanted to focus. Of course archaeology is as much a science as it is a humanities but don't get me started on that...

Probably, I honestly doesn't see an applied use of the theory in my lifetime, but then again I'm not a physicist.

I'm not entirely sure who they're talking about, but the names always pop in relation to orange things duck facing so I can't be arsed to go find out, and for you to have met one of these things sounds painfull, lol.

And thanks for rubbing it in, now I want fudge brownies :p

I was going to be a Zoologist... But alas.

While I love small scaley and furry critters, I hate cleaning up sh!t, which is why I never considered being a zookeepeer...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-06-2012, 03:46 AM
A Zoologist isn't necessarily a Zookeeper, it's someone who studies animals.

I was going to study Wolves mainly, then branch out and study other animals.

Psychosplodge
07-06-2012, 03:48 AM
Just get a pet wolf like that bloke in cornwall, you just need a dwa licence.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-06-2012, 03:54 AM
It'd have to be a Direwolf. :D

I quite like Marine biology too...

Psychosplodge
07-06-2012, 04:00 AM
My friend did marine biology at hull, he now sells toys...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-06-2012, 04:08 AM
Lol. That's quite the career change.
I sit at a desk typing all day, I am bored of my life.

Being a Scientist would be fun, even being a Science teacher would be more entertaining than this.

As an addendum, I don't agree with domestication.

eldargal
07-06-2012, 05:20 AM
Well it will be interesting to see if anything happens. Hopefully some of that futurist genetic anti-ageing stuf that futurist Earl Grey or whatever his name is says will be around within a couple of decades will keep us alive long enough to see it.:rolleyes:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-06-2012, 05:23 AM
I hope so, I do so want a hovercar... :p

Oh, and to reference an earlier post: hoverboobs are agreeable. :D

Kyban
07-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Well it will be interesting to see if anything happens. Hopefully some of that futurist genetic anti-ageing stuf that futurist Earl Grey or whatever his name is says will be around within a couple of decades will keep us alive long enough to see it.:rolleyes:
Yeah, it'd be awesome to stick around that long. Hopefully it won't end up like the 40k universe, it's a fun universe for tabletop games but living in it would be crap. :p

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Yeah, it'd be awesome to stick around that long. Hopefully it won't end up like the 40k universe, it's a fun universe for tabletop games but living in it would be crap. :p

I've always thought that it'd be interesting, I'd love to be a Space Marine. :D

Kyban
07-06-2012, 08:56 AM
I've always thought that it'd be interesting, I'd love to be a Space Marine. :D
Yeah, but being a regular imperial citizen is a pretty raw deal. Unfortunately, a lot like some places on the Earth today. :( It'd be awesome to be a psyker though. :p

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Then be a Grey Knight and induce neckbeard rage?

Kyban
07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Eh, farseers are cooler. And should be better statswise. :p

Necron2.0
07-06-2012, 11:07 AM
First ...

Hopefully some of that futurist genetic anti-ageing stuf that futurist Earl Grey or whatever his name is says will be around within a couple of decades will keep us alive long enough to see it.

Actually, the technology probably already exists and I wouldn't be at all shocked if it turned out it is surprisingly easy to extend life indefinitely. The problem is ... how do you introduce that sort of thing to a world that is already (in parts) overcrowded? How do you determine who can live forever and who cannot? And finally, how do you prevent bloody revolution of the "have-nots" against the "haves" when the stakes are eternal life? At a very minimum, for eternal life to be practical, humanity as a whole needs to be space-born.

And so ...

Apparently what MaltonNecromancer was saying is what a lot of physicists are thinking, we've taken the first step towards developing a way of manipulating Higgs field to increase/cancel the mass of something.

Well, I wouldn't get too excited just yet. After all, just because something is possible doesn't mean it's practical. My peers and I (engineers) were discussing this the other day, and the first thing that came to our minds was how much energy did CERN need to expend to get their results and how much energy would it require to manipulate a gravity field? Basically, even if it's possible to give an object effective negative mass, if you have to explode a star to do it, it would never be something you could realistically achieve.

eldargal
07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm not getting excited, I just think it is interesting.:)

Edit: I'm also well aware that energy costs are one of the msot prohibitive aspects of technological development.

Gotthammer
07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
if you have to explode a star to do it, it would never be something you could realistically achieve.

Especially with the government refusing to support my intergalactic, supervillainous organisation.
I'm a job creator people - everybody except my long, long list of enemies wins.

Kyban
07-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah, one of the biggest problems is energy. I believe it is possible to generate enough energy to do just about anything but it will be a while before we can accomplish that.

Over population is kind of relative, there are plenty of ways to deal with it today but they're not in the best interest of those people who are really in charge.

What is for certain is that our current society can't handle the technological advances that are coming up soon. :( It'll be hard to change but hopefully the prospect of eternal life will shift peoples view points enough to make everything work out.

eldargal
07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Humans are never prepared for technological developments. As a species we are terrific at adapting but absolutely terrible at preparing for change.

Kyban
07-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Humans are never prepared for technological developments. As a species we are terrific at adapting but absolutely terrible at preparing for change.
Tzeentch for president! He supports change! :p

(Thought I'd lighten up the thread after my depressing last post.)

Necron2.0
07-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Tzeentch for president! He supports change! :p

Judge Death for President!

He'll solve:

- Unemployment
- Overpopulation
- Pollution / Global Warming
- Trade imbalances
- Health care
- World hunger
- War
- Religious intolerance
- Racism
- Sexism
- Poverty
- AIDS
- Cancer
- The common cold
- etc.
- etc.
- etc.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/188/3/b/juddeth_by_necron2_0-d56cte8.jpg

Mr Mystery
07-07-2012, 03:01 PM
We also tend to benefit well from sudden discoveries.

The Higgs Bosun opens up new areas of theoretical physics, or so I understand. Who knows what new tech this will allow?

Wolfshade
07-07-2012, 03:52 PM
This.
We aren't even prepared to drive our metal boxes, you see videos of people doing such stupid things just because they are in a car and travelling much faster than ever expected.

There is of course the problem that now Prof. Higgs has lost some of his prestige, the whole point in being a theoretical physicist is that your predictions are mathematically sound but either impractical or not proven (dis-proven)

It is a concern of mine that some who is famous for being famous is better regarded then someone who has done something significant for society, like the James Maxwell, without whom Albert Einstien wouldn't have had the starting blocks to build his theory of special relativity and thus our Sat Nav devices wouldn't work. Yet, Kim Kardashian (Cardassian) or whomever has not contributed to society is yet more famous and better known.

There is a slight disappointment in finding a Higgs particle, in that the discovery only confirms the theory, if it were something completely different then it would have lead to some completely new science.

DarkLink
07-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Yet, Kim Kardashian (Cardassian) or whomever has not contributed to society is yet more famous and better known.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/425114_352746644745818_100000314555605_1146133_132 4863401_n.jpg

Or, on a slightly less solemn note:

http://weirdlywiredworld.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/good-shows-will-not-be-televised.jpg

MaltonNecromancer
07-08-2012, 06:13 AM
What's worse?

"Firefly" was ten years ago.

eldargal
07-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Ten years and it is still one of the few issues that can provoke me into a genuine berzerker rage.:rolleyes:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-08-2012, 06:44 AM
I will happily be your President! VOTE FOR CHANGE! Also, Mr. Obama stood for change. :rolleyes:

Psychosplodge
07-09-2012, 01:17 AM
What's worse?

"Firefly" was ten years ago.

:eek: Right in the chronology...

Wolfshade
07-09-2012, 01:44 AM
I will happily be your President! VOTE FOR CHANGE! Also, Mr. Obama stood for change. :rolleyes:

If he stood for change, would that mean that he is a herald of the lord of change?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-09-2012, 01:58 AM
If he stood for change, would that mean that he is a herald of the lord of change? Well, yeah, he's my bro.

Necron2.0
07-14-2012, 05:39 PM
We were talking about this at work the other day and I came up with a way to weaponize this bad boy. Do you have some non-terrestrial species that's pissing you off and you want them gone? Easy-peasy! Put an anti-gravity field around their planet (or their star, if they've expanded into their solar system) and watch them sail off into space.

What's that you say? You don't want to add to interstellar clutter? No problem! Simply restore gravity after about three weeks*. When your enemy's home world next reaches perihelion ... bye, bye civilization (and pretty much all life on that planet).

Of course, you could probably expect retribution from both your friends and enemies in the galactic community, as genocide is probably frowned on.

* Three weeks is about the time it would take the Earth to reach the orbit of Mars at its current orbital speed. With gravity restored at that point, the Earth would go into an elliptical orbit. By the time it reached perihelion (the closest point to the sun) most likely all life on the planet would be exterminated.

Mr Mystery
07-14-2012, 05:56 PM
We were talking about this at work the other day and I came up with a way to weaponize this bad boy. Do you have some non-terrestrial species that's pissing you off and you want them gone? Easy-peasy! Put an anti-gravity field around their planet (or their star, if they've expanded into their solar system) and watch them sail off into space.

What's that you say? You don't want to add to interstellar clutter? No problem! Simply restore gravity after about three weeks*. When your enemy's home world next reaches perihelion ... bye, bye civilization (and pretty much all life on that planet).

Of course, you could probably expect retribution from both your friends and enemies in the galactic community, as genocide is probably frowned on.

* Three weeks is about the time it would take the Earth to reach the orbit of Mars at its current orbital speed. With gravity restored at that point, the Earth would go into an elliptical orbit. By the time it reached perihelion (the closest point to the sun) most likely all life on the planet would be exterminated.

I'd rather ramp up the gravity. Let them crush themselves to death. No interstellar guff comes from that, and the planet is left ripe for colonisation. Once you've replanted crops and introduced suitable livestock of course, but the same goes for the anti-grav option!

Psychosplodge
07-17-2012, 04:00 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6qtrqx2qF1qb25dg.jpg

eldargal
07-17-2012, 11:48 PM
That is very amusing.:)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Fair point, you can't really declare that you understand the Universe. :p

eldargal
07-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Personally I've never claimed to understand it, I just claim to be the first to recognise the potential applications to womens undergarments. Because that is something I do understand.:cool:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-18-2012, 12:06 AM
womens undergarments. Because that is something I do understand

I would say that I do too, but is it like riding a bike? :D

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh matron....

Psychosplodge
07-18-2012, 01:30 AM
That is very amusing.:)

I discovered fake science tumblr last night lol

Fair point, you can't really declare that you understand the Universe. :p

You can claim to understand anything...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-18-2012, 01:32 AM
I understand how magnets work. A rare trait in today's society. :p

Psychosplodge
07-18-2012, 01:47 AM
So you're a mormon?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-18-2012, 01:49 AM
Don't get me started on mormons.
We do work for mormons...

Psychosplodge
07-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Ah so that's how you understand magnets...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-18-2012, 02:03 AM
They don't stop talking about them, gay for magnets.