PDA

View Full Version : Damage to flyers

sfshilo
07-03-2012, 06:53 AM
This is a major discussion on dakka right now, thought I'd throw it up here as well.

Currently the rules for flyers state that "shooting" at zooming flyers can only be done with a snap shot or with sky fire.
It also states that "weapons" that use templates and blast markers cannot hit them.

However there are MANY things that can deal damage that do not fall into either the "shooting" or "weapon" areas. Things that happen in the shooting phase are not always "shooting".

A weapon in the 40k handbook is contained in the section that starts on page 50
Shooting has always been a heated topic.

Some examples that have been controversial.

A bomb squig explicitly states it is "released" instead of "shooting". But because it has a damage profile some say it is a shooting attack none the less. However the squig profile goes on to say that it's a 2+ to hit.
Can Squigs fly?

A mawlac bursts from the ground and does damage equal to the diameter of a large blast template. It is not a shooting attack as it does not roll to hit/scatter. However it IS a blast, but not listed anywhere in the weapons section of the main book.
Can a mawlac burst up high enough to hit a zooming flyer?

Njal Stormcaller can whip up the elements every turn with vengeful tornado or chain lightning. This is a larger question, do auto hits take precedence over the skyfire and snap shot rules? There are a large number of these auto hit attacks that are not shooting.
What takes the cake in this instance?

A flyer is wrecked while zooming and hits the back armor of another zooming flyer. (It's S6, but it could happen) It's not a shooting attack or a weapon, but it has a profile and a blast marker.
Can a crashing flyer take out another flyer?

Have fun with these!

Personally I'm (Squigs can fly, mawlacs can jump high, auto hit takes precedence, and flyers can crash into flyers.)

alshrive
07-03-2012, 07:07 AM
A bomb squig explicitly states it is "released" instead of "shooting". But because it has a damage profile some say it is a shooting attack none the less. However the squig profile goes on to say that it's a 2+ to hit.
Can Squigs fly? personally common sense on this one would say no, UNLESS my opponent had gone to the effort of modelling winged squigs! like a bomb Squigeon!

A mawlac bursts from the ground and does damage equal to the diameter of a large blast template. It is not a shooting attack as it does not roll to hit/scatter. However it IS a blast, but not listed anywhere in the weapons section of the main book.
Can a mawlac burst up high enough to hit a zooming flyer? Personally again no, although i love the concept of a Burna-Bomma approaching the ground at high speed only to have a Mawloc appear in front of it!

Njal Stormcaller can whip up the elements every turn with vengeful tornado or chain lightning. This is a larger question, do auto hits take precedence over the skyfire and snap shot rules? There are a large number of these auto hit attacks that are not shooting.
What takes the cake in this instance? Lightning hitting an aircraft- yeah i can go for that- it happens. So i am in on this one!

A flyer is wrecked while zooming and hits the back armor of another zooming flyer. (It's S6, but it could happen) It's not a shooting attack or a weapon, but it has a profile and a blast marker.
Can a crashing flyer take out another flyer? i feel that the in this instance it should actually count as ramming! but yes i do feel a flyer should be able to impact another mid-air!

i think a lot of what the game entails now involves (un)common sense!

ALShrive