PDA

View Full Version : Independece Day 40k battles!!

Kataklysm
07-03-2012, 05:57 AM
So some friends and I are Attempting to re-create some of the major battles of the american revolution to celebrate our trouncing of those poofster, foppish, red-coats! The frosting on the cake is that we are using a british game to remember the booting of the british out of our country haha.

Some that we have already gotten set up and ready:

-The battle of ft. Ticonderoga
-The battle of Bunker hill
-The battle of Oriskany
-The siege of Charelston

We have two more tables to set up which are the battle of Camden and then the grand finale, the Battle of yorktown.

It is pretty in depth, points and set up wise, so instead of explaining, I will attempt to get some pictures taken and posted asap.

Anyone else doing anything similar?

Remembe, have a safe and happy 4th of July, and DEATH TO THE REDCOATS!:D

Wolfshade
07-03-2012, 06:10 AM
If you booted the British out of you country then there would only be the Spanish, French, Dutch settlers left oh yeah and the native indians...
The battle for independence was a popular uprising against the government at the time by the British citizens within the colonies

daboarder
07-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Can we start burning the traitors to the crown yet? I mean my ancestors may have been criminals but they'd still do their bit for the crown.

And is it appropriate to bring up the fact that the American revolution would never have been successful without drastic financial and naval aid form the French?

Captainparty
07-03-2012, 06:49 AM
We can also recreate the more important Napoleonic war that was going on at the same time and was the only reason the terrorist uprising in the Americas succeeded?

Kataklysm
07-03-2012, 07:33 AM
So.. Back to the topic, anyone doing anything like this?

jifel
07-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Perhaps I have my dates mixed up, but the Napoleonic wars I believe were AFTER the American Revolution... And yeah we won because of France. Revolutionary war ended in 1782-3? Napoleonic was a few years after, at least, as the French Revolution was inspired by the American, and Napoleon took over after the Fr. Revolution.

Anyhoos, yes, I think it's a great idea to celebrate our independence with 40k! Make sure the british are represented by something both evil and fittingly Red, like WE or Word Bearers. And then I guess have the Americans as the valiant Imperial Guard (with GK french allies...)

sangrail777
07-03-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm looking around for a Brit to kick....I mean play against. Damn my Blood Angels are kinda sporting the Red Coat......this might be a little strange. :)

daboarder
07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Perhaps I have my dates mixed up, but the Napoleonic wars I believe were AFTER the American Revolution... And yeah we won because of France. Revolutionary war ended in 1782-3? Napoleonic was a few years after, at least, as the French Revolution was inspired by the American, and Napoleon took over after the Fr. Revolution.

Anyhoos, yes, I think it's a great idea to celebrate our independence with 40k! Make sure the british are represented by something both evil and fittingly Red, like WE or Word Bearers. And then I guess have the Americans as the valiant Imperial Guard (with GK french allies...)

You are correct sir, one of the driving factors behind the French revolution was because the king bankrupted the realm both financially and agriculturally to help the Americans to secede from the British. If I remember correctly it was the siege at boston where the French navy prevented the British bringing the full might of their naval forces to bare and thus prevented the crushing of the main American army. in short if Britain had been able to bring the full might of combined arms against the Americans then they would probably still be bowing to the British monarchy. Of course my own country could likely have then been speaking French because Britain largely sought out Australia as a place to get rid of the indentured criminals (slaves), I mean its entirely possible that La Perouse might have returned to France after claiming Australia with out Philip ever being there.

And the grand irony is that they were all terrorists not patriots.

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 01:57 AM
And the grand irony is that they were all terrorists not patriots.
History contains many an uncomfortable truth.

So did y'all (I'm assured that that is the correct lingo) manage to get some games in?

Psychosplodge
07-04-2012, 04:40 AM
Not that we ever tried that hard to hang on to them, but then again how is that freedom to die of easily treatable ailments working for you?
I mean I realise it gave your rich the freedom to make themselves richer, and break treaties with the native Americans, and gave the poor the freedom to die for those same rich gentry...

Love the new tags Wolfie

And don't forget the freedom to invade the country of the people that didn't want to join you at the time a generation later...

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 05:47 AM
The tags are necessary since sometimes the meaning is not conveyed with the words

Psychosplodge
07-04-2012, 05:50 AM
we could do with it making a box, also we could do with a video equivalent of the image tag so we could embed youtube vids...

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Either that or jsut have to rely on moving gifs :ugh:

Psychosplodge
07-04-2012, 05:58 AM
gods no, not gif's they're such a waste of memory...

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Don't talk to me about memory leaks, i've got iexplorer :(

Psychosplodge
07-04-2012, 06:09 AM
*hug* there there

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 06:13 AM
I asked IT several months ago if I could install chrome, I am still awaiting a response

Psychosplodge
07-04-2012, 06:15 AM
Install firfox to a memory stick and run it as a mobile browser, keeps your history on the stick and everything

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 06:23 AM
I'll apply for the encrypted memory stick now, might get it before the Olympics start... the 2020 Olympics...

Psychosplodge
07-04-2012, 06:26 AM
you can't just use your own? doh

eldargal
07-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Pfft:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bc/BurningofWashington1814.jpg/786px-BurningofWashington1814.jpg
That's right, your capital was sacked and burnt by an Englishman named Cockburn.:cool:

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 06:30 AM
That's right, your capital was sacked and burnt by an Englishman named Cockburn.:cool:
Pronounced Co-burn usually, same name as my Thermodynamics lecturer, it made us laugh

you can't just use your own? doh
I can...once it has been properly encrypted :'(

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-04-2012, 06:31 AM

That's massively humiliating.

Psychosplodge
07-04-2012, 06:34 AM
And this while we're partaking in our usual pastime of slapping down jumped up continentals...

eldargal
07-04-2012, 06:35 AM
I know right? Washington got Cockburned. I think the Americans coped by pretending it never happened (they do that a lot). I know in both World Wars the Germans tried to use the Cockburning of Washington as propaganda to split the allies but it didn't work because the Americans didn't believe a word of it.:rolleyes:

Psychosplodge
07-04-2012, 06:39 AM
It's essentially why the white house is white isn't it?
To hide the burns?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Americans believe so many things that are never right, y'know, like 2012. :p

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 06:48 AM
I usually don't like the conversion of nouns to verbs, but in this case eg I'll make an exception as it is amusing me.

eldargal
07-04-2012, 06:53 AM
I'm not a fan either, but this is a special case.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Yes you will Wolfie, because you're mad for c0ck. :D

Wolfshade
07-04-2012, 07:08 AM
with some leak, cockaleaky
or three, that would be a cockatrice
or a grean one, cockateal

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-04-2012, 07:16 AM
So much c0ck....