PDA

View Full Version : Necron FAQ: Triarch Praetorians?

Dlatrex
07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Admittedly, I am like everyone else and still digesting the implications of everything in 6th edition.

With that disclaimer in mind, even with the Necron FAQ out I cannot really find a reason to take the Praetorians. It seems to me that almost every situation where I would apply praetorians, you could do Wraiths and expect a better job for less cost!

The rod of covenant is now a S6 Powerfist in CC? No one is going to contest it tears up power armor in shooting, but it is only 6" range. You have to be close enough to be staring them in the face to use it.

Am I missing some obvious tactical advantage that the preatorians offer Necron, or are they just super-situational? :confused:

Winston P Smallhouse
07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything. But if you join a unit of Pretorians to a Destroyer Lord, the Triarchs gain prefered enemy on their shooting and close combat, and whilst yes you could do the same with Wraith Triachs don't take up a fast attack slot which gives extra force organisation options. I'm not suggesting that their better than wraith, just that they may have a place.

Kawauso
07-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything. But if you join a unit of Pretorians to a Destroyer Lord, the Triarchs gain prefered enemy on their shooting and close combat, and whilst yes you could do the same with Wraith Triachs don't take up a fast attack slot which gives extra force organisation options. I'm not suggesting that their better than wraith, just that they may have a place.

And let's not forget that the Destroyer Lord can bring along a Res. Orb, from which the Praetorians will benefit whereas Wraiths would not. :)

That's how I plan on fielding mine, at least.

Tynskel
07-02-2012, 06:44 PM
you are forgetting that they have Impact Hits on the Charge. That's a big deal. Also, AP2 shots. They can do some serious damage.

Melon-neko
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
praetorians and wraiths fill similar rolls so yeah, you just have to choose which you prefer. It has a lot to do with what you're facting. Pratorians have 5 toughness which an make a difference against massed strikes and have AP2 always, which is pretty rare actually. I1 is not much difference from I2 either. Wraiths have more attacks to kill massed infantry, but are a bit more vulnerable with a lower toughness. They also have rending, which only gives them AP2 on a 6.

I think praetorians are much better than before, but so are wraiths and which one you take depends a lot of what else is in your army. For example, I don't think i would take praetorians AND lychguard, since for me they both serve the same function

Lore Weaver
07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm planning on playing a few games with 5 Praetorians with Voidblade and Particle Caster (as it's init 2 rending, 3 attacks on the charge) with a Destroyer Lord with an Orb in tow. Toughness 5 is nice, although the loss of invulnerable save is rough, but the D-Lord can absorb wounds with his 2+ save, and grants the entire menagerie Preferred Enemy. Those 1's you roll to wound have a chance of becoming 6's.

I'd try them against Terminators. You can also split the unit up in the movement phase and hose two vehicles in one turn. (Entropic Strike & Rending is better than just Rending)