PDA

View Full Version : Allies that don't take up Force Organisation Chart slots

Houghten
07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
So. As I understand the Allies rules (I must confess to not actually having trudged through the rain to pick up my own copy of 6th yet), you must take one HQ choice and one Troops choice in your allied detachment before being allowed to pick your Elites / Fast Attack / Heavy Support choice.

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warbands do not take up a Force Organisation Chart slot, but are treated in all other respects as a separate Elites unit.

So when my allied detachment is Grey Knights, need I take a Troops choice in order to give the Inquisitor some pals? Or does the "does not take up a slot" thingy free them from that?

How would you play it? Do you want your army to be free of silly kniggits, or am I insane for not wanting to include a Terminator Squad anyway?

How would you let your opponent play it? The downside of them having to take some Knights is, of course, that you then have to face some Knights.

magickbk
07-02-2012, 12:39 PM
You have to have the Troops choice. It's compulsory to take the Allied Detachment, as I understand.

The only way I see around this would be to take Lord Coteaz, in which case the Henchmen Warband would be your troops choice.

Wildeybeast
07-02-2012, 01:02 PM
You have to take a HQ and a Troops in your allied detachement, regardless of what else in there. Units that sit outside the FoC like dedicated transports, bodyguards and such like still work exactly the same in your allies as your regular army. So an allied detachement of SM with a Captain could take a Company command squad without them taking up your allies HQ slot.

DarkLink
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Believe it or not, when the rules say you must take a troops choice, you must take a troops choice.

sangrail777
07-02-2012, 01:25 PM
magickbk You Have To, Unless...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have to have the Troops choice. It's compulsory to take the Allied Detachment, as I understand.

The only way I see around this would be to take Lord Coteaz, in which case the Henchmen Warband would be your troops choice.

Thought you couldn't take named IC's so this wouldn't work anyway right? (just checking about the named IC's.)
But of course ya still gotta take a troops first anyway.

Houghten
07-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Ah, then my whole question was based on a flawed concept. I thought you could have just a Troops, or just a HQ, as long as you didn't start on the others.

Time to think about how I can model up some appropriate 1st Company Veterans with Grey Knights-ish wargear, then...