PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of GW touting?

Herzlos
07-02-2012, 05:28 AM
Touting is a UK term for buying up a limited resource (usually tickets) to sell on at a huge markup, and is a big problem because it hurts genuine fans, who miss out on getting tickets.

So 6th Edition has been on sale for under 3 days now, and there are already collectors editions on eBay for 3 or more times the book price (one buy it now @£210, one auction currently at £300). These people can't have even received the books yet.

What do people think of the practice? I'm personally disgusted at how unfair it is (and I didn't even want a book), imagine what it'd be like if you were for some reason unable to pre-order at midnight last week to find there are none left because of speculators.

Wolfshade
07-02-2012, 05:43 AM
The problem is when is something being touted and when is something being sold on?
Its quite straight forward if I brought loads of extra tickets to a concert and sold them on the night that is clear cut.
If I brought a single malt that was only one of ten and kept it for 20 years and sold it at higher amount then I brought it for is that touting?
There are a lot of collectors who buy items just as an investment

gcsmith
07-02-2012, 05:43 AM
Personally, I can't see people paying £300 for a collectors edition.

Also, It's hardly unfair, GW could have put one per person, and even then they bought it to sell on. It may not be nice, but unfair it certainly isn't.

isotope99
07-02-2012, 05:48 AM
It's unpleasant but practically speaking very hard to stop. The only way to put a stop to it is to not buy so they get stuck with a bunch of books they can't use.

Chris Copeland
07-02-2012, 05:53 AM
We use the term "scalping" here in America. "Scalpers" are folks who engage in scalping. Mostly it's a term that is used in conjunction with tickets to shows, games, and concerts. For example:

"Hey, I'd like to see Rush when they come to the AT&T Center. However, they are sold old. I guess I'll have to pay what the scalper is charging. Damn."

I've never heard of anyone scalping GW books. It makes sense, given the limited availability of the Collector's Edition. It just wouldn't have occurred to me.

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 06:22 AM
We use the term "scalping" here in America.

Cool story bro....
lol just messing with ya

How limited was it though?

I mean i remember the "limited" 3rd or fourth edition rule book, I picked that up about six months after release, and they were still available well after that. Did they just hype it up more this time to sell them?

And surely unless it's numbered and comes with a certificate it's worthless as a limited edition...

gcsmith
07-02-2012, 06:33 AM
How limited was it though?

I mean i remember the "limited" 3rd or fourth edition rule book, I picked that up about six months after release, and they were still available well after that. Did they just hype it up more this time to sell them?

And surely unless it's numbered and comes with a certificate it's worthless as a limited edition...

From the words of my manager, only 4,000 of them world wide.

eldargal
07-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Fairly sure GW limited the number of collectors/gamers editions people could buy, didn't they? If they do that then someome buying it to tout later for an inflated price isn't really doing any harm. The only problem is when people like that buy 5-10 or however many copies and prevent a lot of other people who actually want it from getting it

It's irritating, but if some idiot is willing to pay three or four times the retail price for a collectors edition 40k rulebook then they deserve whatever happens.:rolleyes:

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 06:36 AM
From the words of my manager, only 4,000 of them world wide.
That's reasonable.

I wished I'd thought on and bought two, one to pay for the other lol

Mr Mystery
07-02-2012, 07:12 AM
On a 40k rule book? Meh. Just get the normal one.

Space Hulk? Buying 20 copies, just to make a quick buck? Well I hope Nurgle gobs in your pint you selfish arsehead.

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 07:17 AM

Space Hulk? Buying 20 copies, just to make a quick buck? Well I hope Nurgle gobs in your pint you selfish arsehead.
seems reasonable, twenties far too many for one person....

Did you miss out?

gcsmith
07-02-2012, 07:18 AM

I was still in school a few years ago when it was released, so couldn't afford it. :(

Defenestratus
07-02-2012, 07:24 AM
I have no problem with it whatsoever. Its a byproduct of supply and demand.

If there is more demand than supply, then the price will rise. Smart people will recognize a commodity whose demand outstrips supply and seize on it as an investment opportunity.

Would you consider someone who buys oil commodities at $82/barrel and then sells it at $91 a scalper or touter?

Rapture
07-02-2012, 07:31 AM
I bought space hulk for $100 and sold the terminators and the dead guy in the chair for just about $105. I get to have the game (I don't need more terminators and the plastic they were made of was crap) for free and several others got their choice of terminators from the box.

I also made over $800 (in profit) from selling nine princess dolls. I had to sleep outside of the mall for that one. The sprinklers turned on around 3am. Rough night - totally worth it. :D

Everyone has the same opportunity to get what they want. People who complain are just mad that they missed their shot and have to pay a premium to make up for their lack of effort.

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 07:41 AM
princess dolls?

SotonShades
07-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Somethings I can understand people doing it on. Short run items, things like the laser pointer and Space Hulk (which I saw selling for over £100 on ebay when you could still buy them in most GW stores for £60), stuff like that where 99% of the people who want it and can afford it at the time can get hold of it... go for it.

Truely limited Edition stuff, the collectors pieces that come numbered and with a certificate? I have a bit more of an issue with. Only 4000 copies in the world, is only of value to those who want it as a collectors piece... it's not exactly in the sprit of the game to stock up as many as you can so others will have to pay over the odds.

BTW, does anyone want to buy my spare, still shrink-wrapped copy of Space Hulk?

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 07:47 AM
BTW, does anyone want to buy my spare, still shrink-wrapped copy of Space Hulk?

I'll give you a fiver for it...

SotonShades
07-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Hmmm... no. Any better offers? :p

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Hang on, I'll even pick it up to save you the postage?

Wolfshade
07-02-2012, 07:55 AM
I'll see 'Splogies £5 and also add the collection of paper clips AND green highlighters on my desk

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 07:58 AM
I'll see the original £5, pick up, paper clips, highlighters, and a bag of cable ties....

Wolfshade
07-02-2012, 08:01 AM
I'll see the original £5, pick up, paper clips, highlighters, and a bag of cable ties....

I can't meet the cable ties, but I can replace it with 83, yes 83 copies of the Highway Code

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-02-2012, 08:03 AM
+- This post was deleted by Rule 163 -+

Demonus
07-02-2012, 08:05 AM
If I end up getting $50 for my anniversary Crimson Fist dude, my 6e book will be paid for :)

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 08:17 AM
I can't meet the cable ties, but I can replace it with 83, yes 83 copies of the Highway Code

I can't meet the 83 copies of the highway code, but I can add an unknown quantity of cat5 cable?

+- This post was deleted by Rule 163 -+

What an officer must use protection when attempting ++REDACTED++ in zero gravity?

gcsmith
07-02-2012, 08:22 AM
:D I did buy the sergant of crimson fists to resell, but with Allies, I might use as a sergant for allies for my Tau :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
163. Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so.

Wolfshade
What an officer must use protection when attempting ++Fudgecake++ in zero gravity?
No, 163 - Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 08:27 AM
What sort of protection does fudgecake require beyond a spoon? O_o

Wolfshade
07-02-2012, 08:30 AM
insulin if you are that way inclined

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-02-2012, 08:33 AM
I beat you to it Wolfie. :D

bfmusashi
07-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Touting is a UK term for buying up a limited resource (usually tickets) to sell on at a huge markup, and is a big problem because it hurts genuine fans, who miss out on getting tickets.

I think you mean it hurts the broke fans. :D

Tannarak
07-02-2012, 08:34 AM
I've read that the Black Library has has the same problem with their limited release of some books. I want to say that BL has limited the purchase power of people by only allowing 2 or 3 copies per person.

Mr Mystery
07-02-2012, 08:36 AM
seems reasonable, twenties far too many for one person....

Did you miss out?

Nah. I ended up buying two. One full price, then a second at staff discount as a present for a friend who had done a massive favour! I just find it mind numbingly selfish behaviour to scalp.

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 08:36 AM
insulin if you are that way inclined

Well you could look at it that way...

Wolfshade
07-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Well you could look at it that way...

How else would I look at it?

Denzark
07-02-2012, 08:40 AM
'S Capitalism twist. Don't mean nothing to me. If you could afford the original £80-whatever, you should have bought early. If you couldn't, no point being annoyed it now costs £1,000,000.

Annoys me no more than the same with Space Hulk, Dreadfleet (aka why am I not Man 'O War), Crimson fist mini, etc.

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 08:40 AM
In the way of mmmmm fudgecake, where's my spoon?:confused:

Wolfshade
07-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Look I don't feel comfortable spooning, I've told you this before

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 08:46 AM
But it's sooo warm

Houghten
07-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm normally against the whole idea, but looking at what the Collector's Editions are going for on eBay, I'm sorely tempted to sell mine. I might have to light myself on fire to make up the karmic balance though.

Would you consider someone who buys oil commodities at $82/barrel and then sells it at $91 a scalper or touter?

Yes.

DarkLink
07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Personally, I won't even buy the book for $75 straight from GW. I've graduated from college, I don't have to put up with that crap anymore.

el_pablo65
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
They offered the collector's edition as a pre-order possibility so the only reason a 40k fan wouldn't get one was if they were too lazy or short of funds to order one.

Now as to the limit in supplies I much prefer that to a collector's edition that is so mass produced that having it in your collection doesn't mean anything. Otherwise a limited edition should be limited and kudos to GW for not over printing that item.

BTW, they have nothing to gain from large ebay profits so that cannot be their intention. It is a side effect that I am sure they would rather not be there.

Wildeybeast
07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
My favourite example of touting on ebay has to be the Olympic torches. If you are picked to run with one, you get to keep it for £200. There are chumps buying them on ebay for £2000 apparently. Since the everyone knew the release date of the collector's editions and they were limited to how many you could buy, I see no problems with people selling them on. It's not like anyone who desperately wanted one has been denied the opportunity to get one. And if you were trapped in cave or some other silly reason as to why you couldn't order one at the time, the touts are offering you the opportunity to get one now. Everyone wins.

Verilance
07-02-2012, 02:06 PM

that isn't as bad as the magic warehouse in London that somehow manages to double the price of coffee beans...

now that is touting lol

Wildeybeast
07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
that isn't as bad as the magic warehouse in London that somehow manages to double the price of coffee beans...

now that is touting lol

And that's why everyone should buy fairtrade.

Herzlos
07-02-2012, 02:42 PM
They offered the collector's edition as a pre-order possibility so the only reason a 40k fan wouldn't get one was if they were too lazy or short of funds to order one.

Now as to the limit in supplies I much prefer that to a collector's edition that is so mass produced that having it in your collection doesn't mean anything. Otherwise a limited edition should be limited and kudos to GW for not over printing that item.

BTW, they have nothing to gain from large ebay profits so that cannot be their intention. It is a side effect that I am sure they would rather not be there.

It was offered for a pre-order, yes; but because GW didn't publicise it til WD the day the pre-orders started, they were sold out by the time some GW fans were even aware of the existance of the 6th Ed and the special editions. For instance, my WD subscription didn't turn up til the Monday, and I doubt there were any editions left to buy from the website beyond Saturday afternoon.

Yes it was all over the forums like this, but forum users are only a fairly small percentage of the user base.

Wildeybeast
07-02-2012, 03:11 PM
They have an email subscribers list and they email you every time someone so much as sneezes in the design studio to tell you about it. And the staffers in stores couldn't stop gibbering about it. Short of them writing it in the sky, there isn't much else they can do to ensure customers know about it. Regular customers (who are the guys wanting limited editions) will be aware that pre-orders go up on WD release weekend and the previous edition of WD tells you when the next one is released and anyone bothered enough to want limited edition releases will make the effort to stay informed.

daboarder
07-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Also, It's hardly unfair, GW could have put one per person, and even then they bought it to sell on. It may not be nice, but unfair it certainly isn't.

They did put one per customer, whether they inforced it much or not I don't know but they already stated that on the collectors page.

LordGrise
07-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey Soton... mostly to be able to amble over to Dragon's Lair and wave it under Copeland's nose... ::grin::

I'll bid ya two pounds of genuine fire-roasted Hatch chilies, appropriately iced and overnighted to your address?

You have to be either a real foodie or a South Texan to understand just how serious an offer that is... they're only in season for about one month of the year. I'd offer a case of Shiner (beer) or a bottle of good Tequila, but I don't know what the import laws would be, let alone the drinking age issues..

Yuppers, I'm cheerfully trolling, here. But I'll come across as soon as they come on sale if ya tell me yes...

Chris Copeland
07-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Grise, clearly you are someone I know in real life. I did not realize that before now. Perhaps I knew and I'd forgotten. In any case, who is this? :)

Also, please bring said chilies the next time you are at DL! Cope

PS Seriously. Who is this?

Hey Soton... mostly to be able to amble over to Dragon's Lair and wave it under Copeland's nose... ::grin::

I'll bid ya two pounds of genuine fire-roasted Hatch chilies, appropriately iced and overnighted to your address?

You have to be either a real foodie or a South Texan to understand just how serious an offer that is... they're only in season for about one month of the year. I'd offer a case of Shiner (beer) or a bottle of good Tequila, but I don't know what the import laws would be, let alone the drinking age issues..

Yuppers, I'm cheerfully trolling, here. But I'll come across as soon as they come on sale if ya tell me yes...

Brass Scorpion
07-02-2012, 09:58 PM

Also, It's hardly unfair, GW could have put one per person, and even then they bought it to sell on. It may not be nice, but unfair it certainly isn't. GW did put a limit of 1 per person. The web page on the GW site clearly stated limit of 1 per customer due to limited numbers. They only printed 4,000 of these, which is much smarter than the 4th Edition limited collector's edition which had much higher numbers and GW got stuck with tons of them. They've learned from some of their mistakes.

This one on eBay is not quite as high in price as many of the others. It ends very shortly tonight: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320936043316?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

SotonShades
07-03-2012, 04:07 AM
Drinking age is by no means a problem. As far as I'm aware, there isn't any country where I am not to young to buy booze, save for Dry countries like the UAE, but then no one drinks so...

Also (very much not a South Texan) but I can be a bit of a foodie, and do understand the value of Hatch chillies (a particular favourite of one of my great uncles). However, not my kind of eats. I'm a wierd one. Like heat, but not most of the flavours associated with it usually, though a hot Sheperd's Pie can be epic. Or my mum's Spicy Potatoe Wedges.

So I'm afraid I'll have to turn down that offer; not out of unappreciation, more that I think those chillies would be wasted on me.

Next bid? I think I'm likeing this trade idea :p

Psychosplodge
07-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Is there any English speaking country with a higher drinking age than the US?

I offer middle naming rights for my first born...on top of my previous offer...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-03-2012, 04:19 AM
I offer the skulls of one thousand souls!

Wolfshade
07-03-2012, 04:49 AM
I offer the skulls of one thousand souls!

Souls don't have skeletal structure and therefore no skulls.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Your skull is first meatbag!

Wolfshade
07-03-2012, 05:30 AM
As always I enjoy such an intellectual debate
-or-
Bring it
-or-
You'll have to catch me first

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-03-2012, 05:32 AM
I'll see you burn! >:P

LordGrise
07-03-2012, 06:11 AM
hmm... likes heat, but not Hatch chilies? Alright, I like a challenge...

Poblanos? Ghost peppers? Gimme a Scoville range to shoot at and we'll see what I can come up with here...

::grin:: While we're speaking of burning, you understand...

And Copeland, I'm fairly sure we have met a couple times. We've just never done battle...

Psychosplodge
07-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Bwahahahahahahaha?