PDA

View Full Version : Psyker and mark of Tzeentch in 6th

Saint_Anger
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone with CSM have a question with CSM FAQ about psyker? I am confused when it comes to Mastery level and Mark of Tzeentch. It says in the 6th rulebook that any psyker with mastery level 1 knows one power. Does it mean the power at the back of the rulebook only? And what if the Daemon Prince (said in FAQ with mastery level 1) having mark of Tzeentch, will he know two powers and have two warp charges? This is very confusing or perhaps I should not combine the rule of mastery level and the mark of Tzeentch - -?

Thanks

Black Hydra
07-01-2012, 08:14 PM
I think the bonuses of Mark of Tzeentch only apply to codex powers. This is probably the case as well for the other upgrades that allow you to take extra powers (familiars and so forth). So psyker mastery is for BRB powers and any codex specific upgrades are for codex powers. At least I believe this is the way it works. Nothing says otherwise in the FAQ.

Saint_Anger
07-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I think the bonuses of Mark of Tzeentch only apply to codex powers. This is probably the case as well for the other upgrades that allow you to take extra powers (familiars and so forth). So psyker mastery is for BRB powers and any codex specific upgrades are for codex powers. At least I believe this is the way it works. Nothing says otherwise in the FAQ.

That makes sense, but could reduce the ability to have two psychic powers if he take the Discipline instead.:(

TJ_DeOliveira
07-01-2012, 08:56 PM
sorcerers with mark of tzeentch are mastery 3. the rulebook states that any model that can cast two powers a turn is mastery 2.

Archon Charybdis
07-01-2012, 09:05 PM
sorcerers with mark of tzeentch are mastery 3. the rulebook states that any model that can cast two powers a turn is mastery 2.

They're mastery 2, because they can cast two powers a turn. Ahriman is Mastery 3 though.

TJ_DeOliveira
07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
damn typos

Saint_Anger
07-02-2012, 12:10 AM
They're mastery 2, because they can cast two powers a turn. Ahriman is Mastery 3 though.

Really? What page can I find this in the rulebook? Perhaps I gotta to read it carefully again.

TJ_DeOliveira
07-02-2012, 12:41 AM
it's at the very beginning of the psyker section, where it says "Establishing Mastery Level".

Saint_Anger
07-02-2012, 06:20 AM
it's at the very beginning of the psyker section, where it says "Establishing Mastery Level".

Found it! Thanks!:)

Regnir
07-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Mark of Tzeentch does not allow a Sorc or Daemon Prince to cast an additional power per turn, it just gives them two powers to choose from. GW probably should have included this in the FAQ, much like they did how the Familiar works in regards to Mastery Level.

Ex: Ahriman is Mastery 3, but he has five powers. Having Ahriman trade in for BRB powers could actually be viewed as a ripoff, as you're trading five powers for three. That said, most of the CSM Codex powers are trash, so it's probably a wash/good trade.

Mark of Tzeentch for Sorc and DP states "Models with the mark of tzeentch may choose one additional power". Nowhere does it state that they are allowed to cast both powers in the same turn. Under the 5th Ed BRB, they could still only cast one of those powers in a turn. If MoT enabled them to cast two powers per turn, it would have said that, and would translate to a bonus to mastery in 6th.

Ex. 2: From a newer codex, but valid none the less: Rune Priests are Mastery 1. They have an upgrade called "master of runes" that allows the Rune Priest to cast an additional power per turn. Per the FAQ, this makes a Rune Priest with Master of Runes Mastery 2.

As a CSM player, I would argue that Sorcs and DPs are still Mastery 1 until the FAQ states otherwise(or the new codex comes, which is more likely to happen first).

Saint_Anger
07-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Mark of Tzeentch does not allow a Sorc or Daemon Prince to cast an additional power per turn, it just gives them two powers to choose from. GW probably should have included this in the FAQ, much like they did how the Familiar works in regards to Mastery Level.

Ex: Ahriman is Mastery 3, but he has five powers. Having Ahriman trade in for BRB powers could actually be viewed as a ripoff, as you're trading five powers for three. That said, most of the CSM Codex powers are trash, so it's probably a wash/good trade.

Mark of Tzeentch for Sorc and DP states "Models with the mark of tzeentch may choose one additional power". Nowhere does it state that they are allowed to cast both powers in the same turn. Under the 5th Ed BRB, they could still only cast one of those powers in a turn. If MoT enabled them to cast two powers per turn, it would have said that, and would translate to a bonus to mastery in 6th.

Ex. 2: From a newer codex, but valid none the less: Rune Priests are Mastery 1. They have an upgrade called "master of runes" that allows the Rune Priest to cast an additional power per turn. Per the FAQ, this makes a Rune Priest with Master of Runes Mastery 2.

As a CSM player, I would argue that Sorcs and DPs are still Mastery 1 until the FAQ states otherwise(or the new codex comes, which is more likely to happen first).

Considering the psyker section in the 6th BFB where it begins with "Establishing Mastery Level", it stated that the number of power psyker can use per turn can indicate their mastery level. And if you read page 88 of the current CSM codex, in the first paragraph, it also stated clearly that psyker with mark of Tzeentch can attempt two psyhic powers per turn, though only a psychic shooting power can only be used once per turn. But some power may cause psyker to use only once per turn like the one that cause 2 warp charges. That's why I think they have master of rune now.So I think TJ is correct.

Archon Charybdis
07-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah, St. Anger is correct. MoT unequivocally states it allows you to CAST two powers a turn. Under the 6E mastery rules, that makes them Mastery Level 2.

Regnir
07-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Considering the psyker section in the 6th BFB where it begins with "Establishing Mastery Level", it stated that the number of power psyker can use per turn can indicate their mastery level. And if you read page 88 of the current CSM codex, in the first paragraph, it also stated clearly that psyker with mark of Tzeentch can attempt two psyhic powers per turn, though only a psychic shooting power can only be used once per turn. But some power may cause psyker to use only once per turn like the one that cause 2 warp charges. That's why I think they have master of rune now.So I think TJ is correct.

You know, the funny thing is that the entire time I was writing that, I was swearing up and down internally that I remember MoT psykers being able to cast two powers per turn, but as I flipped through the badly laid out Codex:CSM I could not for the life of me find where it said that, so thanks for reminding me, and now I completely agree that they should be Mastery 2.

Then again, the Space Wolves FAQ specifically calls out that Master of Runes makes you Mastery 2 and the CSM FAQ does not, so this is something that is going to create some arguments based on that fact alone.

In the end it might just be best to let it go until the new book comes out in 2-3 months. :(

Saint_Anger
07-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Then again, the Space Wolves FAQ specifically calls out that Master of Runes makes you Mastery 2 and the CSM FAQ does not, so this is something that is going to create some arguments based on that fact alone.

In the end it might just be best to let it go until the new book comes out in 2-3 months. :(

Yes, hope CSM will get new codex very real soon. Reading new 6th BFB + 6th FAQ + Old CSM codex when playing is getting me so tired.:(

daboarder
07-02-2012, 09:04 PM
It doesn't need to, don't fall into the mistake of thinking that just because the FAQ never clarrified something it doesn't work, the rules as written are quite clear that Tzeentch sorcerers ARE mastery 2.

SacredChao
07-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Mark of Tzeentch DOES indeed let you use 2 powers a turn. The rule you see for choosing 2 powers for being Tzeentch is under the actual Model listing and Prices. However in the Psychic Power page, in the first paragraph or two in the CSM codex, it says that units with the Mark of Tzeentch may use an additional psychic power per turn.

It's specifically under the Psychic Power Section and nowhere else, though. So a Sorcerer/Daemon Prince can use 2 Powers a turn per the Mark, and is thus Mastery Level 2 based on 6th ed rule book.

Interestingly enough, since the way the FAQ is worded, the Thousand Suns Aspiring Sorcerer is thus also Mastery 2, although he can only ever have 1 power, regardless of him rolling or buying.

That is why under Ahriman's weapon, it says that he gets a total of 3 per turn when adding the 1 from the staff.

Thanatos_elNyx
07-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Oops didn't see page 2...

daboarder
07-03-2012, 03:35 AM
Mark of Tzeentch DOES indeed let you use 2 powers a turn. The rule you see for choosing 2 powers for being Tzeentch is under the actual Model listing and Prices. However in the Psychic Power page, in the first paragraph or two in the CSM codex, it says that units with the Mark of Tzeentch may use an additional psychic power per turn.

It's specifically under the Psychic Power Section and nowhere else, though. So a Sorcerer/Daemon Prince can use 2 Powers a turn per the Mark, and is thus Mastery Level 2 based on 6th ed rule book.

Interestingly enough, since the way the FAQ is worded, the Thousand Suns Aspiring Sorcerer is thus also Mastery 2, although he can only ever have 1 power, regardless of him rolling or buying.

That is why under Ahriman's weapon, it says that he gets a total of 3 per turn when adding the 1 from the staff.

Yeha but he generates 2 warpcharge and can therefore use the warpcharge 2 powers, unlike typhus for example.