PDA

View Full Version : Psychic powers

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 02:58 PM
By now most of us have observed the new five disciplines and the seven skills within each and to whom what powers are available, but what I find quite astounding is the mixture of powers available.

They are split into four categories:
* Directly Offensive - These are where the powers directly hit the opposition, like vortex of doom
* Directly Defensive - These are where the powers provide additional protection like cover granting a cover save
* Indirectly Offensive - These provide boosts or buffs to your units, S or A bonuses
* Indirectly Defensive - These make it harder for your enemies to perform actions or de-buffs

I have to admit that I was expecting it to be a lot more "direct" effect. But it is these direct powers which I think are the least powerful, while they are direct and they are quite powerful in their own right. They are a blunt instrument; a librarian with a S10 pie plate is going to have only one course of action.

The indirect powers I think are where the real skill lies, playing a competent Eldar player you can see the effect of using such powers, Doom + Guide pairing really strongly. The subtly of these powers make it harder to directly close them down as you have to take the whole synergy out of the equation before the threat is rendered mute.

When I get my hands on the new rule book I will be able to explore the possibilities of these and how they can work with the armies available.

Black Hydra
06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
I think only certain units would make better use of the rulebook powers. The Primaris Psyker comes to mind. Librarians already have solid powers so I wouldn't switch for the BRB ones. The problem with psykers is that most are HQ units. You're going to have to build around them to make the most of them. Otherwise you're just giving up a spot for a (most likely) more efficient unit.

Either way it'll be nice to switch out the Chaos Sorcerers powers for some variety. There aren't enough Chaos psyker abilities that are worth it. At least till the new dex comes out.

antennafarm
06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
the new powers are pretty awesome -- i wish there was a way to pick your power, but ah well. in a way you can, sorta (primaris powers).

i hope they release a blanket faq about it, though... like is eldrad mastery level 4 (because he can generate four powers as per the white dwarf)? 2 (since he can, at base, cast two?), 3 (staff of ulthman allowing him a third casting if he's not in CC?).

also, can i trade warlock powers in for these new powers? that primaris power, psychic shriek, and jetbike squads, seer councils. holy crap, seer councils just got kinda wacky in a different way!

DarkLink
06-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Just because WD says Eldrad can use 4 powers doesn't mean he can. WD is notorious for containing illegal lists and blatant rules errors.

daboarder
06-27-2012, 11:39 PM
The phrase you are looking for is "force Multiplier" units whose value to a force is not their own offensive power but their Ability to enhance the powers of others around them. The only problem with these units is that you typically need to plan for them, and with random psychic powers.....

Wolfshade
06-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Certainly, the randomness is going to be quite a bind, but it is the gamble you pay for the potentially better powers then you start with.
For a new player, drawing the direct offensive powers would be the easiest for him to use and he can play his tactics accordingly. Give them a indirect defensive power and it could be lost on them.

I am not saying that new players do not understand the concept of the game, nor how such subtle effects would work, especially if they come form another wargaming tradition, but it is why space marines are so durable, that you can make mistakes with them without lossing a game.

antennafarm
06-28-2012, 02:51 AM
i think the key with psychic powers will be adding the psyker as a multi-possibility buff that, depending on the power, fits into a different part of the army, instead of a lynchpin of the army strategy (like the doom/fortune combo farseer. that's my impression of the book so far, actually (just got mine today!) -- it implies flexible tactics instead of hard roles (with the flyer rules, flying creature, psychic powers). i like!

Strangleweb
06-29-2012, 04:41 AM
Just because WD says Eldrad can use 4 powers doesn't mean he can. WD is notorious for containing illegal lists and blatant rules errors.

As understood it, he has 4 powers, but can only use 3 per turn.