PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew HQ Question

Camael
06-26-2012, 03:45 PM
So, I was thinking of making a Chaplain Ironclad Dreadnought as a casul HQ choice, how much do you think this should cost?

PS- Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in

Wolfshade
06-26-2012, 04:04 PM
What do you think his statline should be and what special powers are you going to give him?

Camael
06-26-2012, 04:34 PM
What do you think his statline should be and what special powers are you going to give him?

WS 5
BS 5
S 6
I 4
A 2 (3)
F 13
S 12
R 10

Move Through Cover and Venerable

I was thinking like 200 pts base and then normal Ironclad upgrades and costs. Too much? Too little?

Tynskel
06-26-2012, 04:56 PM
why does it get move through cover?

The AKH
06-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Ironclad Dreadnoughts get AV13, Move Through Cover and a host of different wargear options to regular Dreadnoughts.

I would start with the points cost for the Chaplain Dreadnought (I believe FW makes rules for those) then add the points differential from the Ironclad and the regular Dread in C:SM.

SotonShades
06-27-2012, 03:32 AM
Regular chaplain dread is 175 plus options, so 10 more than a venerable, with litanies of hate (re-roll failed to hit rolls in combat when the chaplain charges).

so, say 70 points over the cost of a regular dread, do the same for the ironclad (135 I believe?) making it 205. However, Chaplains are naturally at home in combat. AV12 is all ready nigh-unstopable for the majority of units. My personnal rule is if it has fewer than 8 S8 attacks, a ven dred should be fine for at least a couple of rounds. put put that up to AV13? Needing 5's to glance, and making it completely invulnerable to Krak grenades (unless the rules for grenades in combat change dramatically) really ups the anti. So the chaplain and venerable rules become much more valuable on the Ironclad chassis. Throw in MTC making it more likely you will actually get to combat as well, and you have a very potent mix. All in all, I'd put the base points up to 220. As it is a special character as well, I wouldn't allow it to have options; simply choose the load out and write the character as that. A siege hammer Crozius would look awesome! if you were going to give him a second DCCW arm, I'd add the 220 to the cost of the weapon arms and then another 10 points (as the extra attack becomes even more effective).

You may think I am suggesting a little over the odds, but with your own characters/units, even for casual games with friends, it is always better to err on the side of your opponant. As a good example, the only other Dreadnought special character is Bjorn in the SW codex. He is 270 points, about 50 over the cost of a venerable dreadnought with his options. SOme of that does take into account hios AV13, but he is also a much much bigger threat because of it.

Camael
06-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Thanks all, I think Venerable Holy Brother Belisarius will cost 250 to put on the table and be a lot of fun!

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Play test him and let us know how you get on :)