PDA

View Full Version : Are there formal procedures for Rage Quitting

Necron2.0
06-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Not that I am planning to, but ....

I have noticed a growing sense of ennui in my gaming group for 40k. Revelations of what's in the upcoming 6th edition hasn't helped the situation either. Many in my group now seem to be transitioning away from GW altogether and into 15mm and 28mm WWII tabletop games. As such, the thought has crossed my mind once or twice to sell off all my GW stuff and make space (and cash) for something else.

Then, a curious thought came to me - would this be classified as "rage quitting?" Can you be classified as a rage quitter if you decide to quit out of shear ambivalence to the game? If someone quits the game for all the same reasons as someone else, but in the one person the emotion elicited is disgust, whereas in the other the reaction on display is boredom, would both classify as "rage quitters?"

Mr Mystery
06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
All we are saying, is give 6th a chance!

Emerald Rose Widow
06-26-2012, 03:25 PM
The urban dictionary definition of rage quit:

Throwing the poker chips, flipping the Monopoly board, unplugging the Nintendo, taking your ball and going home.
"Dave: Any ONE of these SIX ****ING CARDS and I would have won! Unbe****INGlievable! You are terrible! You should have lost! ****ing cards! **** YOU!

Dave is disconnected from the game.

Bill: His computer crash?

Rob: No, he rage quit"

You could probably twist that to fit your situation, but I don't think it really fits, hehe. So no you arent rage quiting...your apathy quitting. There, all is good.

Wolfshade
06-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Melt everything down send it to GW with a note "It's 0 gauge or no gauge"

clively
06-26-2012, 04:16 PM
*snip*

Can you be classified as a rage quitter if you decide to quit out of shear ambivalence to the game? If someone quits the game for all the same reasons as someone else, but in the one person the emotion elicited is disgust, whereas in the other the reaction on display is boredom, would both classify as "rage quitters?"

No. It's just not the same. Rage Quitting involves letting world+dog know. Generally speaking, those people actually care about whatever it is they are walking away from and some little part of them hopes others will convince them not to or that the world will recognize the injustice and somehow correct it. Usually these people come back after a short hiatus.

What you described is simply apathy. Once a person gets to that point they have divested themselves of all emotional attachment and are well and truly done.

antennafarm
06-26-2012, 07:15 PM
go.

just...go.

the difference between rage quitting and being just another whiner is that you actually STOP PLAYING 40k/GW GAMES.

make sure that, in your exit post, you use a lot of two-cent words, overgeneralizations, and implied insults towards people that still actually enjoy things without having to feel like a victim. make sure to cite every game system that you feel is superior to 40k (and whatever arbitrary reasons you have). complain about GW making money, complain about overpowered books. if you're feeling saucy, complain about xenos not getting love, and your... whatever. just make it up. everyone does and it doesn't really matter. contribute to the noise on the internet. that's pretty key.

but, most importantly... GO.

Chris Copeland
06-26-2012, 08:37 PM

I have noticed a growing sense of ennui in my gaming group for 40k. Revelations of what's in the upcoming 6th edition hasn't helped the situation either. Many in my group now seem to be transitioning away from GW altogether and into 15mm and 28mm WWII tabletop games. As such, the thought has crossed my mind once or twice to sell off all my GW stuff and make space (and cash) for something else.

Hey 2.0, what you are describing isn't rage quitting... it's boredom. Here's what I suggest: keep your stuff, go forth and dabble in other games system, and come back when you are ready. It can be nice to take a break. I think you'll regret it if you get rid of your stuff.

Go try Dust or WarmaHordes. You can get in to either of those relatively cheaply. I'm expecting great things from VIth... it'll be around for about four years so you've got time... cheers...

mikethefish
06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
go.

just...go.

the difference between rage quitting and being just another whiner is that you actually STOP PLAYING 40k/GW GAMES.

make sure that, in your exit post, you use a lot of two-cent words, overgeneralizations, and implied insults towards people that still actually enjoy things without having to feel like a victim. make sure to cite every game system that you feel is superior to 40k (and whatever arbitrary reasons you have). complain about GW making money, complain about overpowered books. if you're feeling saucy, complain about xenos not getting love, and your... whatever. just make it up. everyone does and it doesn't really matter. contribute to the noise on the internet. that's pretty key.

but, most importantly... GO.

EDIT - oh just never mind

CrimsonTurkey
06-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Hey 2.0, what you are describing isn't rage quitting... it's boredom. Here's what I suggest: keep your stuff, go forth and dabble in other games system, and come back when you are ready. It can be nice to take a break. I think you'll regret it if you get rid of your stuff.

Go try Dust or WarmaHordes. You can get in to either of those relatively cheaply. I'm expecting great things from VIth... it'll be around for about four years so you've got time... cheers...

Or try Infinity. (gah, the automotive journalist that I am now reflexively types 'Infiniti') You will not regret giving this awesome game a try.

lobster-overlord
06-27-2012, 12:11 AM
just requires an ebay account, with which to sell off your stuff...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-27-2012, 01:00 AM
If I had a quid for each person who has "rage quit" GW. :rolleyes:

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
06-27-2012, 01:20 AM
You'd probably have at least a pound! All I would say is, in agreement with many here, you aren't rage quitting, you are just 'moving on' which is pretty standard, why play something you don't like :)? (bassically)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-27-2012, 01:24 AM
They'll be back, they always come back.

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
06-27-2012, 01:24 AM
... Good Necron reference... :D

Denzark
06-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Quitters are actually awesome for the community.

1. Unless they have absolutely no shame, they realise that hanging around 40K forums after an amusing rage-quit rant opens them to considerable e-scorn. So they stop giving it the old "I play infinifauxmahordes tactics and the skill complexity is so much blah blah" and disappear to another forum.

2. They put their armies cheap on Ebay. Whilst I DON'T LIKE price rises I can afford to play, but PREFER to get stuff on the cheap. Thanks Quitters, you make this possible and some of you aren't half bad painters.

3. If enough people actually did rage quit, GW would change its policies way before the company was threatened. Hello sales, bargain packs and cheaper prices. Because Rage Quitters are prone to the most hyperbolic histrionics one should realise this is a very long time away but I concede it could happen.

4. Rage quit rants are as amusing as the numerous videos of fat children running hot on ritalin and kool aid going off the rails, that can be found on Youtube.

So all in all I like it when they go.

Necron 2.0 just to clarify I am not acusing you of doing any of these things. ambivalence is hard to counter but I discovered to my cost a long time ago, never sell up unless you really really need the money. If new systems are as cheap as non-GW gamers boast you could probably go entry level really quickly without blood transfusing a cherished 40K army that you might need again...

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 01:32 AM
4. Rage quit rants are as amusing as the numerous videos of fat children running hot on ritalin and kool aid going off the rails, that can be found on Youtube.

That sounds like this evening's activities planned!

eldargal
06-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Games Workshop Ragequit Protocol:

1)Sign up on Warseer.

2) Start a thread detailing how long you have been in the hobby (feel free to be free and lose with the actual figure) and how you used to love them when everything was so much better back in the days before they went all corporate and evil (1992). Announce your intention to quite the hobby.

3) Post your complaints in any thread you can possibly find however vaguely connected.

4) Accuse anyone who disagrees with your assertions about Games Workshop of being an idiot fanboi
and like their continuing patronage of GW to the systematic psychological and physical trauma visited upon abused spouses in relationships.

5) Continue to post on GW forums about how you quite and hate everything they do for the next ten years until you get hit by a bus, get married or both.

6)(optional) Find a competitors product you like and post about how much better it is in every GW related forum thread you possible can. When asked to keep it to the appropriate forum section, call your accusers idiot fanbois.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Hahahahahaha!

Classic. Good thing that I rarely ever go on Warseer.

Necron2.0
06-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Necron 2.0 just to clarify I am not acusing you of doing any of these things. ambivalence is hard to counter but I discovered to my cost a long time ago, never sell up unless you really really need the money. If new systems are as cheap as non-GW gamers boast you could probably go entry level really quickly without blood transfusing a cherished 40K army that you might need again...

I'm not actually planning to quit, not yet anyway. In fact I'll probably buy the box set with the 6th ed pamphlet core book, whenever that comes out. I'd only mentioned that the thought had crossed my mind, because most of my friends are moving slowly away from GW and for myself I'm not married to any game system ... well, except for maybe Star Fleet Battles.

But I've witnessed histrionics from fan-boys and GW-haters alike, and at times there seems to be a competition between them as to which can be the more bug-nutz psycho, so I was curious what the general consensus is. Pretty much it is as I expected, but you never know. After all, I've been called "phobic" by some for saying nothing stronger than I'd rather not have to watch certain lifestyle related activities in public if given a choice.

Black Hydra
06-27-2012, 03:26 PM
@Necron2.0: Just out of curiosity where do you live? No need to be specific, just wondering because we need more players down here in Miami. It's a tough town for us wargamers, and while prices aren't terrible (20% off), it drives away potential players or stalls them. So if you need some more people to play 40k with, we're down here.

olberon
06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
My 2 cents....

JUST QUIT
sorry for the ears guys and galls.

On the otherhand, give 6th a testdrive or 2 and then decide to quit or to fund my stocks even more!!

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 05:11 PM

I think that sums it up

Renegade
06-27-2012, 05:26 PM
You know, sometimes it is good to get away from the hobby for a while. Give vent through other hobbies and general interests.

You may what to try something more RPG like or even take up a sport and come back in the winter. When bored, I tend to go through Black Library and other sci-fi or horror books, work out more, try and learn something new.

Something that is no longer fun or an occasion to chill is called work.

magickbk
06-28-2012, 06:58 AM
I've found that when your gaming store/friends/gaming buddies start down the ragequit slope, it sometimes means it's time to find a new gaming group. Community stagnation makes things seem a lot worse on a local scale sometimes. Maybe a few players in the group have been driving the meta to a place that isn't any fun, or playing the same few people is too repetitive, or your group has gone the competitive route and everyone is using the WAAC net lists. It can seem like the game has gotten terrible, but what it really means is that your local store or community is on the decline. Go find the next closest stores that have a group, and head in and play some pick-up games, or just hang around and watch. Eventually you'll run into some good people, and that will get you excited again.

Since I started playing the game, I'm probably up to about the 7th or 8th gaming group/store that I've been a part of. I've actually been trying to find a new group myself, but the closest store to me is 30 minutes away, and most are closer to an hour. With a new baby in the house, I haven't been out to play a game in months, but I know it is a temporary lull in my personal hobby, and not the decline of GW. I'm excited for 6th edition to try and get playing some more games somehow.

oftenwrong
06-28-2012, 11:37 AM
It’s not really rage quitting till a nerd is swinging a shoe. :)

Levitas
06-28-2012, 02:00 PM
6th is going to be awesome marine-gun-hammer 40.000. Whats not to love?