PDA

View Full Version : skyshield

sneakyben
06-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Do we currently know of any models that have skyshield?

(******* bloody waiting for the bloody ******* book :D)

Xenith
06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Do we currently know of any models that have skyshield?

(******* bloody waiting for the bloody ******* book :D)

This?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440312a&prodId=prod20007a

What do you mean?

thecactusman17
06-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Do you mean the interceptor anti aircraft weapons? Those have the skyfire rule. We know that the lascannon and autocannon from the planet strike sets have it. Probably the AA tank from ig (whose name eludes me at the moment) will probably have it, and finally I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to dreadnought autocannons as well.

sneakyben
06-24-2012, 03:03 PM
yeah, i appear to have got my words mixed up :-)

I meant the 'can shoot flyers at normal BS' rule from 6th ed...

I guess it is a completely new rule and the 1st models descibed as having it will be in the new rule book...

I am hoping I can get some AAA for my foot guard list* that ISN'T a tank or a building
(my army is an foot-only assult force on the move, not a garrison camped out drinking beers :D )

* although maybe the 15 lascannons and 6 autocannons I already have is enough :)

Tynskel
06-24-2012, 05:24 PM
skyrays will probably be able to kill flyers. That was their original ability in IA: 3 before they were introduced into the Tau Empire codex. If GW doesn't give them that ability, just use the one from IA:3 (besides, you should be using most of the Forgeworld stuff for Tau, anyhow).

If you want AAA batteries for a infantry army, check out IA:1. They have AAA batteries.
Hydra Platforms, Manticore Platforms.
There are also Sabre Gun Platforms. Those are individual Guardsmen operating them. They can be upgraded AAA. Start as twin-hv bolters, but can be upgraded to autocannons, 2 twin-hv stubbers, twin-lascannons (no AAA).
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Cadian_Shock_Troops/IMPERIAL-GUARD-SABRE-DEFENCE-PLATFORM-WITH-HEAVY-STUBBERS.html

sneakyben
06-25-2012, 07:41 AM
so i guess nothing so far then that is specific to the new rules...

I guess we'll just have to wait to see what is in the book and/or wait for some errata...

and hope that volume of fire is enough in the meantime :)

what I would like is to be able to take an AAA emplacement WITHOUT a bastion... I reckon I could use my modeling-fu to make something like that that would look like it could be lugged about inbetween battles by a squad of infantry

Kevlarshark
06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
You could make a rifleman sentinel? They have legs.

Tynskel
06-25-2012, 08:05 PM
so i guess nothing so far then that is specific to the new rules...

I guess we'll just have to wait to see what is in the book and/or wait for some errata...

and hope that volume of fire is enough in the meantime :)

what I would like is to be able to take an AAA emplacement WITHOUT a bastion... I reckon I could use my modeling-fu to make something like that that would look like it could be lugged about inbetween battles by a squad of infantry

I gave you a bunch of options that are not bastions...

sneakyben
06-26-2012, 02:35 AM
I gave you a bunch of options that are not bastions...

so you're saying that the models you mentioned have been errata'd so that they have 'skyfire' or whatever it is called?

any chance of a link to those errata?

sneakyben
06-26-2012, 02:40 AM
You could make a rifleman sentinel? They have legs.

that would look cool...

I could do some count-as space marine allies

do any 'flavours' of dreadnaughts have 'skyfire' or whatever though?

Anggul
06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
that would look cool...

I could do some count-as space marine allies

do any 'flavours' of dreadnaughts have 'skyfire' or whatever though?

The Contemptors with two guns do.

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
06-26-2012, 01:58 PM
so you're saying that the models you mentioned have been errata'd so that they have 'skyfire' or whatever it is called?

Nothing has been errated yet, for the rules to Errata them are not here yet, but I think he put some best gueses as to what would recieve such a rule. Hydra for guard will have to have it, otherwie... Random

Tynskel
06-26-2012, 04:22 PM

not skyfire, but AA. just go to the Forgeworld website. There's a bunch of PDF of rules.

sneakyben
06-27-2012, 01:45 AM
not skyfire, but AA. just go to the Forgeworld website. There's a bunch of PDF of rules.

That isn't what I asked though was is? :p

"Do we currently know of any models that have skyfire"

We're you too busy reading some rules to read my message? :D

thecactusman17
06-27-2012, 08:09 PM
When you realize that the 40k flyers are heavily adapted from the ia flyer rules, it's pretty obvious that dedicated anti-flyer weapons will work as intended

Tynskel
06-28-2012, 03:47 AM
That isn't what I asked though was is? :p

We're you too busy reading some rules to read my message? :D

Her de derp. That's a 6th edition rule... There is no 6th until you have the book.

What I gave you is everything available, right now.

Archon Charybdis
06-28-2012, 08:15 AM
If Hydras end up with Skyfire I might pack up my fliers and call it a day. Hydras are already stupidly good for their points, and if they get Skyfire for free (on top of ignoring cover/jink saves)--short of a miracle of bad luck-- there's no reason they won't kill a flyer per turn, almost guaranteed to be at least double their price.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
06-28-2012, 10:29 AM
If Hydras end up with Skyfire I might pack up my fliers and call it a day. Hydras are already stupidly good for their points, and if they get Skyfire for free (on top of ignoring cover/jink saves)--short of a miracle of bad luck-- there's no reason they won't kill a flyer per turn, almost guaranteed to be at least double their price.Chances are they'll have it - they're dedicated anti-aircraft weapons. Keep in mind that apparently Skyfire weapons can only Snapshot at non-flyers - so Hydras would get nerfed against all other units, and therefore would be less common.

Archon Charybdis
06-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Chances are they'll have it - they're dedicated anti-aircraft weapons. Keep in mind that apparently Skyfire weapons can only Snapshot at non-flyers - so Hydras would get nerfed against all other units, and therefore would be less common.

That's something I hadn't heard. That is a help, but it still bugs me how easy it seems it will be for a single Hydra to kill fliers on average that are at least double the points.

Tynskel
06-28-2012, 11:49 AM
If Hydras end up with Skyfire I might pack up my fliers and call it a day. Hydras are already stupidly good for their points, and if they get Skyfire for free (on top of ignoring cover/jink saves)--short of a miracle of bad luck-- there's no reason they won't kill a flyer per turn, almost guaranteed to be at least double their price.

Anti-Aircraft is extremely good. Even today.
That's why we spend almost all initial airtrikes are against AA platforms. Aircraft only work if they won't get shot down.

What you should do first: kill the AA battery, if your opponent has one!

Even from a fluff standpoint. There's IA 3: The marines first objective was to take out a Hydra Battery, otherwise they could bring in the thunderhawks. Even then, they lose marines on the way in!

Drakkan Vael
06-29-2012, 07:34 AM

Actually yes, we do. The guns you can buy in addition to aegis defence line, bastion and fortress of redemption all have the skyfire special rule (in addition to the interceptor special rule).