PDA

View Full Version : Question on Skin Tone Painting

Commissar Lewis
09-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Right. So my question is this: what is the best color to paint flesh if I'm going for a Hispanic-like tan tone? Asking because I need to paint Cpl. Vasquez (my Catachan grenade launcher chick) and obviously need to know what makes for a good tanned tone paint.

Thanks in advance.

Lerra
09-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Reaper Master Series has the best fleshtones. They come in sets of three (base, shadow, and highlight). "Tanned Flesh" is great for hispanic-toned skin. They're also got triads for African skin tone or other races too.

Commissar Lewis
09-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks. So, where can I find the Reaper paints and how much are they?

Lerra
09-24-2009, 11:14 PM
My local gaming store carries them for about $3 a bottle - most stores that sell painting supplies for minis should have them, especially any store with a big DnD population (Reaper is the most popular line for DnD minis). You can order them online too but then you pay shipping.

Mananarepublic
09-25-2009, 02:02 AM
2 tips

1) Start with a basecoat that is 50/50 Caucasian and dark brown skin, keep the highlights down and don't take it all the way to white.
2) When shading add some olive green to the deep shadows

(edit: I guess that was three tips - but who is keeping score... :-))

Brass Scorpion
09-25-2009, 07:26 AM
I play around with different skin tones all the time. If you want a nice medium brown try mixing some Calthan Brown with Dheneb Stone. Wash with Sepia. Keep the highlights modest and not too bright.