PDA

View Full Version : New Ruleboook!

Tynskel
06-21-2012, 08:07 AM
I will be sad if GW isn't changing the order of operations:
move shoot assault
to
move assault shoot

I am really looking forward to 2nd Edition!

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Will we be seeing a new version of Tynskel's guide to interpreting rules?

Step 1:
(this one is hard)
READ THE RULES!

Step 2:
READ THE FAQs

Step 3:

Step 4:
Profit!

I too am looking forward to 2ed Reloaded (or 6th if you prefer...)

The Madman
06-21-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm they are complicating the rules a bit for 6th, 5th was pretty bland in all respects and will be nowhere near as memorable as my 3rd edition days. Deathworlds FTW.

Demonus
06-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Move Assault Shoot makes 0 sense.

"Ok men, let's charge those Orks over there!"
"But sir, should we shoot our pistols at them as we close in for the assault?"
"Nah, there will be time for shooting later!!"

Errr...

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Unless you consider the assault move to be a movement...

Captainparty
06-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Move Assault Shoot makes 0 sense.

"Ok men, let's charge those Orks over there!"
"But sir, should we shoot our pistols at them as we close in for the assault?"
"Nah, there will be time for shooting later!!"

Errr...

If you charge at an enemy because you intend to hit them with a whirling sword, you wouldn't have time to stop, aim and shoot without destroying your momentum, in 2nd, charging was declared in the movement phase and that worked a lot better (until it came to acually fighting close combat with was a bloated mess)

plawolf
06-21-2012, 10:25 AM
How much more air resistant would your pistol generate if you pointed it in front of you as you charged compared to at your side?

Only in WWI and before, when you had one-shot or bolt action rifles that fired 1 shot was it not a good idea to be shooting all the way as you charged.

In any age after the automatic assault rife was invented, you have to be a total fool to not shoot as you were charging.

Your accuracy will be awful granted, but then, if you were close enough to the enemy to even make you think about jabbing at them with your glorified pointy stick, you don't really need a deadeye to hit someone if you are spraying full auto.

Denzark
06-21-2012, 12:51 PM
At least one edition rule book explained what the phases represented. Movement was not a flat out max speed (as 6" is only what 12m real terms?) it represented a soldier fire and manouevring making best use of cover. Shooting allowed for a burst of fire on the way in. Believe me if they have time to prime and throw frag, they have time to let out a burst from a gat with a pig sticker on the end.

So moving firing charging whilst chucking grennies is actually probably sensible. Remembering 40K is abstract - no bonuses for saying your troops are prone not moving taking up the best fire positions or anything like that.

Demonus
06-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Unless you consider the assault move to be a movement...

Which I do not, otherwise, it would be in the movement phase, as charging is in other games (Mordheim).

I do agree with the Captain though, that anyone who intends to assault and fires their weapon should be at a - to their BS score as they do not have time to stop and aim.

DarkLink
06-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Streamlines the game a lot, too. Much quicker and easier to simply move everybody once, and roll for shooting and assault, than to move, then go back and try to remember to run, while shooting, then go back and move again for assault. But, every indication is that it remains move, shoot, assault.

Tynskel
06-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Will we be seeing a new version of Tynskel's guide to interpreting rules?

I too am looking forward to 2ed Reloaded (or 6th if you prefer...)

nope, because the rumor is that they are supposed to FAQ the codexes.

Tynskel
06-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Streamlines the game a lot, too. Much quicker and easier to simply move everybody once, and roll for shooting and assault, than to move, then go back and try to remember to run, while shooting, then go back and move again for assault. But, every indication is that it remains move, shoot, assault.

Laaaammmmmeee!

Wolfshade
06-22-2012, 02:05 AM
nope, because the rumor is that they are supposed to FAQ the codexes.
That is not going to stop the misinterpritation of rules and their disastrous consequences

Diagnosis Ninja
06-22-2012, 04:48 AM
I think I'd actually like it as

Move/ Charge moves
Shoot/ run
Assault

With the change to random charges, and the addition of snap fire, make it so that if you fail a charge you can still snap fire. It would make it so that missing a charge wasn't entirely useless, and could easily explained by the simple fact that both units would probably be moving for each other cinematically, rather than taking turns.

Tynskel
06-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Hey! I'm stoked! This post got a star. Most of the time I get a thumbs down.

Mr Mystery
06-24-2012, 03:39 AM
I prefer it the way it is. Move, Shoot, Assaults allows my dead shooty units to soften up the opponent before my Lychguard give them a shoeing in HTH.

Tynskel
06-24-2012, 11:39 AM
That is not going to stop the misinterpritation of rules and their disastrous consequences

That still won't change the conceptual background of that thread. However, as you read that thread, you will note that people diverge from the guidelines, anyhow. The real point is you need to read everything while interpreting the rules.