PDA

View Full Version : A Tau Discussion, with a couple of concept ideas.

Mr Mystery
06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
So, sooner or later, Tau are going to get a new book. When, I dunno. I don't work, or know anyone who works, in the Studio. Hell I don't even work for GW. But it is coming. Just as strictly speaking there's a new Necron book coming (but not for some years I'd expect).

So what trends have we been seeing in the latest Codecies, and Army Books?

Well, it seems 'bigger is better' is becoming the watch word. Arguably kicked into gear with the Arachnarok Spider, continued through Ogres up to Vampires in terms of Fantasy. For 40k, we're seeing new units popping up with every book, and an increase in the plastic range between the two.

What does this mean for Tau? Clearly all the above should be expected. I'd reckon fully plastic Kroot Range, possibly recut/resculpted Battlesuits (with options for Broadsides, given the penchant for multi kits). And new Tanks.

Now I doubt we'll see new Devilfish hulls. Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with the current one. But perhaps a new model. And this is where my concept comes in.

The Tau army is noted in the background for the group effort, the force acting as greater than the sum of it's parts (sadly doesn't really follow through into the rules at present). So how about a combi transport? There is a precedence for such beasts in the Stormraven. You get a gunship, troop transport and Dreadnought delivery system all in one neat, if decidely blocky package.

Now let's Tauificate that idea. A troop transport that has 'turret' locations for Battlesuits. Whack in a Broadside (or two, I'm easy with the size thing!) and you have some serious muscle, but likely slow moving if you want to use all that Dakka. Couple of Crisis Suits, and you have a Razorback with knobs on. Stick with the standard Tau access points, and you can have a unit of Firewarriors, or perhaps Kroot inside, ready to seize the objective. Think a beefier version of the Devifish, with Suits instead of Drones (or both, why the devil not!)

So your turn now, what do you think would be cool? Don't worry too much about points and exact rules. This is meant for cool unit wish listing, rather than problems you perceive in the current book (which have been done to death, yes?)

DrLove42
06-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Problem will be that Tau don't have their Niche anymore

They used to be the real shooty army. Now Necrons do that so well I find it hard to believe that anyone could be above that

Which puts them in a new situation - maybe a synergy force between all the different ally races (Tau, Kroot, Vespids, Demigurg). But thats encroaches on Eldar territory.

Mr Mystery
06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
I dunno.

Necrons are an army that wins through attrition. Sure they're fairly shooty, but not to be sniffed at in combat. Tau, in theory, are a more manouverable army. Granted they don't work especially well at the moment, but where the majority of armies need to close the range, the Tau in an ideal world would be about the disciplined giving of ground. Their range and overall firepower isn't fully exploited in the rules.

The one thing I don't want to see them receive are HTH units. That would seriously detract from the style of the army.

With the scope for new units, there's a real chance we'll see their niche fully defined. I mean Necrons for instance, the same as Dark Eldar, have gone from easily predicted strategies, to a wider variety that keeps opponents guessing. At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, the transport suggestion above plays to their theme of teamwork.

In terms of more mundane equipment, I think the Tau need options to 'prepare the battlefield'. Consider their stated methods, Kauyon, and the other one. Their background tactics are all about controlled agression, snaring the enemy in a carefully prepared trap. We know they have stealth tech, so perhaps Pathfinders coming with terrain type upgrades, like a stealth, tech based tangle wire of some kind, which slows enemies moving through cover, possibly forcing them into the open, and the teeth of your firepower.

Oddly, this would suit their rough analogy as the Wood Elves of 40k. Booby traps and field craft up the wazoo, with a techno bent. The already have EMP Grenades. One would imagine it's far from a leap of logic or application to make EMP mines. Sure, to prevent gamesmanship and book keeping, you'd have to declare which terrain pieces are mined/boodytrapped/fiddled with in general, but that in itself is a potent tool, denying enemy transports their typically free reign, with nasty consequences for the careless driver. Doesn't have to be bangy boom boom results. I know we're staring 6th Ed in the face, but assume for a second Dangerous Terrain remains as is. Booby Traps could simply increase the risk. Say an EMP minefield causing immobilisation on a 1-3, instead of just a one.

Even if you make these things an upgrade to Fire Warriors, instead of a transport, you're preventing them becoming overly dominating, and a distinct tactical choice. Link them to a Drone Type, and if you lose the Drone Controller, you can't make use the techy ones. Stops them being a no brainer. All of this I feel suits the Tau way of war. Couple of 'bait' units moon the enemy army, then high tail it back to the main Tau line, where the body of the force has rigged the battlefield. The Drone controlled detonation/triggering of the booby traps prevents those terrible self inflicted casualties.

Panxer
06-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Necrons are WAY more shooty now than Tau.

Tau aren't even considered 'maneuverable' now compared to Blood Angels, Dark Eldar, and heck even vanilla marines can move faster and be more maneuverable than Tau (drop pod assaults).

Options, yes. Suits need a TOTAL rebuild. BUT I would say, drop the points of the plasma rifle down and give me T5 on XV8's and 88's and I'd be ok with them as they are.

Pathfinders are irrelevant now that we have tetras, so why not make them bike scouts or give them all sniper rifles and make them = to IG ratlings?

Firewarriors need special weapon/heavy weapon options. If they're going to be the xenos guard equivalent, can the tau even work out how to put a missile launcher into a squad? Oh, they figured out levitating AI's with guns but you can't give an infantry squad a man-portable melta or a shas''ui a power weapon?

The Tau 5th ed fan dex now doesn't seem so overpowered... head...desk.

Deadlift
06-20-2012, 05:36 PM
As more of painting and models fan more so than actually playing the game, I would like to see some bigger beefed up crisis suits on the same scale as the dread knight but much sleeker and carrying much more firepower. When I played tau in 4th I loved the jump shoot jump aspect of the crisis suits that used to upset my opponents so much. A bigger suit with the ability to JSJ but at far greater range could be lots of fun.

Diagnosis Ninja
06-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Lets hope Tau are brought up to speed on Shooting, and get hit with the synergy stick. They're already part way there with Markerlights and Reserves tricks.

I think that they should be built up as a bit of a juggernaut. Get off to a slow start, but build up to impossible levels as the turn goes on.

>Markerlights everywhere!
>Ethereals Buff rather than cause despair when they're inevitably killed off
>Psychic Auxillaries
>Synergy buffs - Proximity to commander; targeting assistance; group buffs
>Cheaper Seeker Missiles

fuzzbuket
06-21-2012, 12:37 AM
wishlist:

drop terrain i know it sounds cheesy and easily abused but think about it like drop pods but they have railguns and can be hidden inside :D and barricades, mines and engineer units would help.

off board artillery: helps the wallet AND fits with the style?

teleport beacons?

engineer and spotter units/drones

hevy weapon fire warrior teams (like devastators) with low S low AP mortars (small blast, long range!) :D

oh and a pistol Cc unit. pistols count as CCW's so tau having a expert pistol unit (say powerful CC bonus pistols lots of grenades and 1 shot flamers, and a break from CC power?)

oh and a rule that allows shooting into CC and shooting when your charged :D

Mr Mystery
06-21-2012, 03:03 AM
Lets hope Tau are brought up to speed on Shooting, and get hit with the synergy stick. They're already part way there with Markerlights and Reserves tricks.

I think that they should be built up as a bit of a juggernaut. Get off to a slow start, but build up to impossible levels as the turn goes on.

>Markerlights everywhere!
>Ethereals Buff rather than cause despair when they're inevitably killed off
>Psychic Auxillaries
>Synergy buffs - Proximity to commander; targeting assistance; group buffs
>Cheaper Seeker Missiles

I too wou like to see Ethereals changed. Right now they're there to make your troops go radgee. And that's about it!

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 03:29 AM
I would like to see some psychic defense along the lines of them being psychically neutral so powers can't effect them, possibly along the lines as an improved save or GK agis effect

ksoh75
06-21-2012, 05:42 AM
With the release of the new Finecast stuff for Broadsides and commander, I doubt we will see new suits......

alshrive
06-21-2012, 05:52 AM
personally i believe the next codex will redefine the Tau as the shooty army. Necrons are now quite easily the shootiest army out there in my opinion, but i do feel that this will change when the next Tau book is finally released. It will be an oppurtunity for GW to introduce the evolution of the Tau and to show off some nice new kits (which let's face it, given currently quality, will possibly make my eyeballs melt with their awesomeness).

I do not know when a Tau Codex will be released, i have no idea what it will contain. all i want is the Tau to have their rightful place in the 40k universe restored.

Tauownz
06-21-2012, 06:51 AM
I agree necrons are shooty but tau are still pretty shooty. I mean that's all we do, necron armies run wraiths, scarabs, assault units, etc. The only thing they have that is shooty is ghost arcs, annil. barges, scythes, and spammed warriors. With broadsides ghost arcs and scythes are mute, annil. barge is nice but a plasma cannon hammerhead w/ burst cannons can out shoot it, unless you role four 6's. I have mixed feelings I've played necrons my last 3-4 games and they were very lil' trouble(went 3-0-1). You have to know what the biggest threat is for sure and what to markerlight(hences tetras). With the newest leak of rapid fire going 2 shots at full 30" for FW's and the same with kroot at 24", and the suppossed plasma rifle 2 shot relentless thing. 6th may put Tau up a few notches on the the ole' todem pole of armies. I think what Tau need is more speed, we need a fast skimmer w/ supersonic and aerial assault w/ options as a gunship as a dedicated transport so you could spam them if desired. Kind of like the little bird from black hawk down, carry 6 FW's to an objective drop them off kind of thing. I personally can't wait for the tau codex, my hope is first quarter 13'

The AKH
06-21-2012, 08:40 AM
I think what still differentiates (and should continue to differentiate) the Tau and the Necrons is their maneuverability - not "speed" per se (I believe someone pointed out earlier that a SM Drop Pod army is "faster" than Tau) but ability to rapidly redeploy to counter or create new threats. Necrons are shooty, yes, but they are implacable and rely on grinding the enemy down with their awesome firepower. Tau should be able to shift their focus quickly and precisely, applying firepower judiciously to the enemy's weak spots.

I think some of the rumoured jet pack rules for 6th will work wonders in that regard. I also think that a new/different transport, possibly lighter and faster than the Devilfish, would complement that ideal nicely.