PDA

View Full Version : A Fanfare for Fifth...

Mr Mystery
06-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Well, after a fashion.

So the game is dead, long live the game. 6th Ed is (seemingly) out in a paltry 12 days (well, 11 as it's now Monday evening, and thus practically Tuesday....)

And yet, I do find myself wondering if my eyes are all spazzie, as there's two oft used Interwebular claims for the rules being poorly written, or not making sense. I'll list them below for you, and why I don't get the contention/confusion....

1) Wound allocation. I often hear (well, read) people ragging on this rule, saying it's poorly framed, unworkable. Now I know I'm a borderline genius (IQ test proves it!) but yeah. Either I'm reading it wrong, or others have genuine trouble with reading comprehension. Now, let's take my Immortals, with Crpytek and Overlord as an example. In this, I have 3 distinct groups...10 Immortals, 1 Cryptek, 1 Overlord.

Now, my opponent, quite understandably wants none of this, and has decided to give this unit a proper shoeing. With my usualy lacksadaisical approach, they're position in rapid fire range of say, 20 rapid firing Dark Eldar Warriors. On account I actually have nothing better to do, I'm actually going to roll the dice for this. 40 shots, BS4...I got....29 hits. Being Poisoned, all wounding on a 4+. I've just rolled up.....14 wounds.

So, three groups with 15 wounds to distribute. Can't go doubling up until everyone has had a slice of pointy pie, so that's 10 wounds on the Immortals, 1 on the Cryptek, and 1 on the Overlord, without argument. Fair dos. 12 down, 3 left to distribute. Well, Overlord can withstand a wound, and is best placed with his Sempiternal Weave to withstand them, so one on him. Leaving two. I kind of like my Cryptek, and franky he's in enough troub as it is, so I'll assign the remaining 2 wounds to the Immortals.

Cryptek rolls a 4, neatly saving (phew. He's expensive him.). Overlord? 2 saves on a 2+...Arsecakes. Failed one. Never mind, 2 wounds left to go. Now for the Immortals. Blimey heck! Finally rolled exactly average. 4 of them seize up and fall over.

Now I know I worked that out correctly. And granted it's a relatively straight forward one, but clearly the rule itself is NOT that complicated. It's done on a squad by squad basis, assigning and reslolving to completion before the next squad fires. In HTH there's a slightly trickier element, in that you assign and resolve per I step, rather than by squad. Same principal, just a bit more thought in multiple combats.

2) Matching CC Weapons.

So, BRB has an entry on CCW weapons, listing the most common types, and what they do. But it also has a small paragrap detailing *special* close combat weapons that must be a matched pair to bag a bonus attack. Again, unless my copy or eyes are very very special, this list is entirely exhaustive, listing as it does Powerfists, Thunder Hammers and Lightning Claws.

Yet in so many 'duh your list is crap' threads I've had the mispleasure of stumbling into, there are those adamant that even Power Weapons, Witchblades, Poisoned Weapons, Rending Weapons etc must also be a matched pair.

Only exception is that if you are wielding two different special CCW, you must nominate which one you're using. So say, you have a Force Weapon and Power Weapon, this doesn't give you a bonus attack, and you must choose at the appropriate I step which to **** the enemy with. But pistols, chainsword, axe, Scorpion Blade thingy....yeah that gives you your bonus attack.

Poor 5th. You were so misunderstood.

Wolfshade
06-18-2012, 04:33 PM
I think that this is the issue, people mis-interpret rules or don't consistly apply them hence the "problems"

Charistoph
06-18-2012, 11:58 PM
I think that this is the issue, people mis-interpret rules or don't consistly apply them hence the "problems"

Well, that and the internet is for whining and... something else...

I swear this "Age of Information" is more the "Age of Stupidity and Misinformation". Toss in the odd cheater and your list is complete.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Hah! "Age of Stupidity and Misinformation" - is this in the 40k timeline?

5th will be missed, it brought me a lot of laughs. :)

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Well, that and the internet is for whining and... something else...

I swear this "Age of Information" is more the "Age of Stupidity and Misinformation". Toss in the odd cheater and your list is complete.
:D
Ah the universal truths...

Diagnosis Ninja
06-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Or alternatively, they don't read the entire book, or rely on quotes from friends to do stuff.

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 02:44 AM
I don't need the books I can rely on the interenets to learn the rules :rolleyes:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-19-2012, 02:49 AM
Yeah, the amount of neckbeards that rage about it you'll learn it pretty quickly.