PDA

View Full Version : The Beer Thread

Pages : [1] 2

eldargal
06-18-2012, 12:01 PM
The little derailment into beer in 40k General a while ago seemed popular, so I decided we should have a proper beer thread. Post your favourite types, breweries and amusing anecdotes here.

I love porter. A lot. Currently drinking some chocolate porter from Belgium, it came in a little keg and had some impossible sounding Belgian name. Enjoying it though.

Amusing porter anecdote:

A husband and wife are travelling accross Europe when they stop at a monastery for shelter one night. At dinner the man turns to his wife and says 'I know this place, they have a brewery of world renown. I strongly recommend the porter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_%28beer%29), my dear'. 'Really?' replies the wife, 'Do send him (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_%28carrier%29) up to my room later on'.

:rolleyes:

Gotthammer
06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Beer vs coffee in a gaming enviroment. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6cONo95urQ)

Aldramelech
06-18-2012, 01:44 PM
What ever is on special at Weatherspoons

Mr Mystery
06-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Mmmm...Porter!

Lovely lovely Porter. But a strictly seasonal Pint as far as I'm concerned. I drinks it in the Winter, and I drinks it only in Winter.

When it comes to my Ale, I'm a real malt man. You can keep your hoppy beers, to me they just taste soapy. Now it's not a universal thing I'll grant you, but it's often enough that I'll take Malty over Hoppy every single time!

Thankfully, I am blessed with a truly awesome local boozer (well, I say local. It's about 2 miles away, but at least when I find myself wandering up there for a pint, I know I really want it, rather than being pubward bound out of boredom). First Beer festival last year was brilliant. I booked time off work, and over 4 days had at least a pint of everything, including some decidedly deadly Ciders (Black Dragon Cider...if you can find it...drink it. Drink all you can, you might never see it again!).

Favoured tipple is Harvey's, followed by Hobgoblin (prophibitively expensive though, and going downhill a little). And if it's on offer, I will make a beeline for Oscar Wilde every single time!

ALL HAIL TO THE ALE!

Denzark
06-18-2012, 02:52 PM
I am currently into Innis & Gunn- the best thing out of Jockland for a whiles...

http://www.innisandgunn.com/

Wolfshade
06-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Well tonight it was Doom Bar.

I like ruby beers

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Why do I feel massively uncultered in these threads? Whenever I read them I just think "if I'm going to go out and get smashed then I normally just jaegerbomb until I die." (that's usually around the 45 mark, jesus does it eat my money)

I need to be shown the Beer Culture. :D

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Why do I feel massively uncultered in these threads?
Because you are?

No, but the whole point to drinking beer (by beer I do not mean lager) is to enjoy the different tastes and textures. One of my biggest grips is that the local beers are around here tend to be pale ales and the dark stuff rapidly becomes mild :(

Psychosplodge
06-19-2012, 01:46 AM
Beer vs coffee in a gaming enviroment. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6cONo95urQ)

Heathen this is no place for coffee, take your coffee loving antics here... (http://www.youtube.com/user/dexteritybonus?feature=results_main)
My beer of choice is abbydale brewery's Moonshine...

Closely followed by hobgoblin, but unfortunately hobgoblin doesn't like me :(

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-19-2012, 01:48 AM
I'll get my jordie to show me, he knows the good beers. :p

SotonShades
06-19-2012, 03:09 AM
Never been a fan of Hobgoblin. Don't know why. If I'm buying bottles (that you are likely to find in most supermarkets at least) I'm quite happy with Bombadier or Spitfire. Currently seem to be drinking Old Speckled Hen by the crate. Not my favourite, but my mum keeps buying it and I'm the only one in the house who drinks it, so not going to complain!

As for proper pints by the pump, I got to go local, through and through. I'm a Leicester boy at heart, so Everards for me. Tiger especially. By no means the best ale in the world, but easy to drink and a good pint for introducing people to real ales. Beacon is also pretty good, but a little lacking in strength of flavour. During my first year of uni down in Southampton, one of the local pubs got Tiger in as a guest ale. No one but me touched the keg because the locals didn't trust anything from outside hampshire really. made me very happy :P

Went to the Reading Beer Festival for my sister's birthday this year. Made the mistake of agreeing with a few of her friend's to do the A-Z challange. Got to try loads of great ales, but got a little to sozzled and did D four times. Fortunately they were all lovely. Amazingly, by the end of the night I was able to flirt quite well with three lovely ladies who asked if the could sit at our table (bare in mind I had been drinking solidly for 13 hours by this point. Only time I didn't have beer in my hand was walking back to the bar to find another ale) until they asked me where I thought they were from. I got the scottish and indian girls right. Then said the other was "North Asian". Completely missed her quite thick canadian accent...

Psychosplodge
06-19-2012, 03:24 AM
Lol ^
off the shelf in the supermarket I'll happily consume black sheep, but not the preferred ale of choice out and about.

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 03:29 AM
I am fortunate enough to have a pub called the Wellington near me
(check out what beers it has on today http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/pages/beerboard.php)
They have 16 pumps and have different beers in all the time, which on one had is great because you get to try lots on the other you sometimes have to wait a very long time for it to come back on tap again

Psychosplodge
06-19-2012, 03:38 AM
B*tch please (http://www.devonshirecat.co.uk/)

It literally has a beer menu that's thicker than most places food menu...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-19-2012, 03:49 AM
:o

Do want!

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Dev cat was the closet pub to where I lived at Uni and they used to serve Old Peculiar on tap,

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 03:52 AM
Lost so much time in there.
There is corporation the only rock club in the city attached to it.
There used to be an all you can eat indian buffet jsut round the corner as well! That closed down though :(

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Now that I'm moving to Shrewsbury I can get used to having a decent local.

eldargal
06-19-2012, 04:06 AM
I like Spitfire, and real ales in general. Also Meantime London porter as mentioned in the Old Beer Derailment.

Psychosplodge
06-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Also you lived that near the dev cat? you lucky lucky b*stard...

Yeah they've killed corporation, it barely has two proper rock nights a month these days and they aren't like they were ten years ago, it's full of indie **** cheesy pop and apparently now even dubstep, which has brought the dickheads with, I mean I remember the days you'd come out of corp and not see a copper outside because there was literally no trouble...

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 04:23 AM
Corp was in crawling distance (also skipping distance) to my home.
I used to love the home made burgers at the Dev Cat and then they must have changed the kitchen staff/reciepe because last time I went they weren't as good :(
Have you tried the Fat Cat in Kelham Island?

Psychosplodge
06-19-2012, 04:26 AM
I haven't my pub crawl used to involve weatherspoons, dev cat, then corp. If I go down town now it goes Nelson, dev cat or washington, then if we can be arsed corp, this makes me feel old...

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 04:33 AM
Which spoons swimm inn, benjamin huntsman or the other one?
My house mates mother (while at uni) came to visit and took us all out to dinner, while she was there she reminisced how the swim inn used to be a swimming baths that she used to use.

Psychosplodge
06-19-2012, 04:42 AM
Yeah I've heard my rents say the same lol also the huntsman used to be a car park and buhgalows and bears was a fire station....

would go in either tended to depend on how we'd got to town, or who I was meeting lol(essentially if on the bus or tram lol)

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 04:45 AM
Oh Supertram

I miss living in sheffield :(
I used to drink in the Rutland on Sunday nights and it was a difficult decision what to drink, Black Sheep, Taylor's Landlord, Deuchar's IPA or Adnam's Broadside, two of each please :D

Psychosplodge
06-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Oh noes mixing beers, a sure sign of a disastrous morning...

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 04:59 AM
My 9 am lectures were always accompanied by Tea and A Bacon Buttie from a guy outside the Hick's building

SotonShades
06-19-2012, 05:01 AM
This is making me thirsty. And making me miss the Hobbit. Only ever had 2 or 3 ales on (usually Doombar, London Pride and Old Speckled Hen) but the cocktails more than made up for it, as did the entertainment. DJ Sparky on a monday night, Gary-oke once a week, woo much live music of a rock bent. Not to mention Chef Bernie's. Great quality Caribean food. Not many other places you can get a Gollum and Goat.

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 05:16 AM
As of this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17433036)fame?
Doombar is nice, I was drinking it last night, thoug at 2.80 I thought it was a little steep

DrLove42
06-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Thats the place. Love the Hobbit.

Gandalf is the best drink....

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 05:45 AM
I might regret this but what is a Gandalf?

DrLove42
06-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Its a cocktail. And its bright blue. I'm not sure whats in it.

Think its Blue Curacao, Blue VK, some Vodka, some schnappes and lemonade. Tastes reallly good

Psychosplodge
06-19-2012, 05:48 AM
My 9 am lectures were always accompanied by Tea and A Bacon Buttie from a guy outside the Hick's building

Ah you went to big school:p, we used to go for an early breakfast and pint (at 10AM:eek:) in loyds after the only early morning our course had lol

This is making me thirsty. And making me miss the Hobbit. Only ever had 2 or 3 ales on (usually Doombar, London Pride and Old Speckled Hen) but the cocktails more than made up for it, as did the entertainment. DJ Sparky on a monday night, Gary-oke once a week, woo much live music of a rock bent. Not to mention Chef Bernie's. Great quality Caribean food. Not many other places you can get a Gollum and Goat.

Thats the place. Love the Hobbit.

Gandalf is the best drink....

The SO went to winchester uni and keeps promising to take me in when we next go down to see her friends, but we keep putting it off....:(

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Blue Caraco is pretty.

We were hard core at uni, the Astrophys Crew (as we styled ourselves) would be hard hitting the interval cafe hard for Tea & Tea Cakes, though we did queue up one day waiting for the Union (bar one?) to open

Psychosplodge
06-19-2012, 05:58 AM
First year we'd always be sat in in the NMB at opening time on a thursday lol

DrLove42
06-19-2012, 05:59 AM
We had a module which we always skipped and went for full english every week...it was that bad

My revision for that module was 15 minutes while eating pizza and watching Family Guy....still got 70%

Large portions of 3rd year dissertation were written while drunk on a large bottle of blue WKD i found.

SotonShades
06-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Are you sure it wasn't anti-freeze? I've read your dissertation.

As for the module that we went for breakfast for, I might as well have gone in to that exam drunk. I drew a Locust instead of a root locus diagram. Apart from that, me and Liam knew all the same stuff. He got 60-something%, I got 11%. Not fair. Root Locus Diagrams were not that many marks :P

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 06:16 AM
I drew a Locust instead of a root locus diagram

Awesome

DrLove42
06-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Well...first of all I was talking abou Electricla Systems, not D&C

Second of all...my dissertation got a 1st and i'm doing a PhD now....

SotonShades
06-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Oh yeh. Didn't we do the same for D&C though?

Electrical systems was easy. Shame that tricked me into taking further modules in it later on that weren't :(

And it gave me the confidence to choose wing aerodynamics. *Shudder*

Wildeybeast
06-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm rather lucky in that Derby is the real ale capital of the WORLD (http://www.visitderby.co.uk/realale), so we always have plethora of beers on offer. I personally like to try something different every time, with a bit of soft spot for fruity, floral ales and wheat beers. When it comes to off the shelf stuff, it has to be Badger or Hook Norton for me.

Verilance
06-19-2012, 04:19 PM
My favourite beer of choice is Grolsch (from my ex-wifes dutch family)

there are a number of craft breweries nearby my home and I would recommend any beer by Wellington County Breweries

recently as well I developed a taste for 80 shilling

Wolfshade
06-19-2012, 04:35 PM
To quote Hobgoblin
"What's the matter larger boy afraid of the dark?"

scadugenga
06-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Its a cocktail. And its bright blue. I'm not sure whats in it.

Think its Blue Curacao, Blue VK, some Vodka, some schnappes and lemonade. Tastes reallly good

Huh, where I'm from we called that Smurf Piss.

No joke.

But back to beer--not much of a beer drinker, but when I do, it's Guinness.

After getting married in Ireland, we finished up the honeymoon in Dublin. We stayed at a hotel just across the Liffey from Temple Bar and Grafton St. I'd wake up in the morning, walk outside to get my wife some breakfast, and the Liffey smells like glorious fresh Guinness.

The AKH
06-19-2012, 11:52 PM
My beer of choice is practically anything from the wonderfully quirky Flying Monkey Craft Brewery (http://www.theflyingmonkeys.ca/) which is about an hour's drive north of Toronto.

Studied abroad last year and had a brief dalliance with Guinness... not something I'll often choose anymore, but it is nice when I feel like drinking something with "feeling" :D.

Me and my mates also hit up this one bar in Brussels (I believe it was called Delirium or some such?) that has 2500 beers on offer. It was a wonderful, intoxicated night wherein many, many different types and styles of beer were consumed.

Wolfshade
06-20-2012, 01:52 AM
But back to beer--not much of a beer drinker, but when I do, it's Guinness.

There are some of us who would claim Guinness isn't a beer :p
On a slightly more serious note, if you like stouts there are plenty of others about many of which taste much nicer (or at least to my pallet at least)

Denzark
06-20-2012, 01:54 AM
Whilst I am more a spirits man I have stuck to my beer addictions in this thread.

One of my favourite pubs is a dutch bar/pub just of chinatown in Londinium. Called De Hems. Many wonderful Dutch beers, not just standard NATO mouthwash. Such as Budweiser.

Recommend Fruli (strawberry), Kwak (comes in a glass like a mini-yard of ale) and Duvel, an 8.5% monster.

Psychosplodge
06-20-2012, 02:01 AM
My favourite beer of choice is Grolsch

Not sure if poor, quality, deprived American or troll...:confused:

Wolfshade
06-20-2012, 02:07 AM
Not sure if poor quality deprived American or troll...:confused:

Must be a troll no one would pick grolsch

SotonShades
06-20-2012, 05:06 AM
I dunno, I quite like a Grolsch every now and then if I'm in a larger mood. Prefer San Miguel though if it is properly hot (especially if I am out in Spain or the spanish islands). That or a few of the Italian Largers. Nice and refreshing in the heat.

Wolfshade
06-20-2012, 05:38 AM
I hope I'm never in a mood for larger
http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/uploads/1556/thumbnail/hobgoblin_thumbtall.jpg

SotonShades
06-20-2012, 05:46 AM
If it's over 25C outside, it's generally too hot for good ales lol. Generally then I'd go for a nice chilled white wine, but sometimes a bottle of larger is just so much easier.

No way I could be a larger boy with my familly history. My aunt was at one point the Editor of the Good beer guide and head of Camra for the West midlands. My grandad has taught me more about Ale than I'd learn from drinking every ale at every festival for a whole year.

Wolfshade
06-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Ah OK, I'll forgive you this time.
I'm not sure I know what happens above 25°C.
Cold and drizzle I know all about :D Perfect beer weather with an hog roast

SotonShades
06-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Cold and drizzle I know all about :D Perfect beer weather with an hog roast

Amen my good man, amen.

Wildeybeast
06-20-2012, 11:31 AM
There are some of us who would claim Guinness isn't a beer :p
On a slightly more serious note, if you like stouts there are plenty of others about many of which taste much nicer (or at least to my pallet at least)

Tru dat. Anything which doesn't come out of a hand pump ain't real beer.

If it's over 25C outside, it's generally too hot for good ales lol. Generally then I'd go for a nice chilled white wine, but sometimes a bottle of larger is just so much easier.

Tru dat. Providing it isn't some p@£%water than only takes three days to brew. That's right Carling, I'm looking at you.

Mr Mystery
06-20-2012, 12:11 PM

No way I could be a larger boy with my familly history. My aunt was at one point the Editor of the Good beer guide and head of Camra for the West midlands. My grandad has taught me more about Ale than I'd learn from drinking every ale at every festival for a whole year.

What's the matter with you man? Warm weather = strong Somerset Perry! No. Not 'pear cider' but Somerset Perry!

MaltonNecromancer
06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
I never drink beer. Tried, never got the taste for it. It's a bit like My Little Pony: fine if you're into it, but not for me thanks.

I like tea. A lot. Preferably Yorkshire tea, but Sainsbury's Red Label is very nice. Also chocolate milk - Yazoo is the finest, though Tesco's chocolate brownie milk is very, very pleasant.

If forced to go down the alcomofrolic route, I'd have to go with a non-dry cider. Really very pleasant in the sun. That or schnapps. Lemon schnapps with iced tea on a hot summer's day? Glorious.

Mr Mystery
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
:pYou....don't like.....Beer?

Do you not like Bacon either?

MaltonNecromancer
06-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Nope. Sausages, steak, and beefburgers = lovely. Bacon? Nasty stuff. Can't be doing with it.

Mr Mystery
06-20-2012, 01:38 PM
HA! That's you exposed Xenos scum!

No true human dislikes Beer AND Bacon!!! Ahahahahahahaahha!

Quick, summon the Kill Team!

Verilance
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Not sure if poor, quality, deprived American or troll...:confused:

family does it to you :p I prefer Grolsch to the swill that most people drink here in Canada such as any Molsons or Labatts product or dare I say american beers.

my ex father in law from holland drank it regularly as do I when I am in the mood

I also quite like a Guinness now and again too :D

I don't have the luxury you Brits have of a local friendly pub stock full of the best beers, even the imported stuff we get here is touch and go

lucky you it is 40 frickin degrees here with the humidity lol

SotonShades
06-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Not a cider/perry fan really. Wierd really as I quite like fruity wines. Especially appley rieslings if I'm having white

scadugenga
06-20-2012, 08:44 PM
HA! That's you exposed Xenos scum!

No true human dislikes Beer AND Bacon!!! Ahahahahahahaahha!

Quick, summon the Kill Team!

I wouldn't quite call the thick hunks of ham you folks eat over there "bacon."

It's more like a ham steak than anything...

Necron2.0
06-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Just about the only beer I drink is Dundee's Honey Brown Lager, although I'll sometimes have an Oatmeal Stout when we go to local fish and chips place for lunch.

If I'm not having Dundee's, then I'm drinking Mead, which I brew myself.

If I want something harder, 90% of the time it will be Drambuie.

Some of you may detect a pattern in my preferences. ;)

Necron2.0
06-20-2012, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't quite call the thick hunks of ham you folks eat over there "bacon."

It's more like a ham steak than anything...

That is because OUR understanding of bacon is wrong. What we call bacon in the US is actually crap. You've heard the saying, "living high on the hog?" Well, it relates to this. The rich and affluent ate back bacon, which was a better meat. The poor (if they could get it) ate the belly fat. Because America was the original wretched hive of scum and villainy, our ancestors persisted in calling the belly meat "bacon" even after better cuts of meat were available to them. The sole exception to that were the Canadians (hence, Canadian bacon).

Necron2.0
06-20-2012, 10:07 PM
I think we need to class this discussion up with some philosophical ruminations from Monty Python (warning ... NOT, repeat, NOT safe for work):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY

And of course, at time stamp 00:57 we have the typical European response to the topic of American beer ... which in general I wouldn't disagree with.

eldargal
06-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Ham is generally from the leg, bacon is from the back (the word bacon is derived from one of the old words for back and buttock). Belly/streaky bacon, which is a disgusting waste of pork belly, it isn't really bacon. It is cured pork. English bacon is superior to all others!:p

Also, a country which puts chocolate on bacon really has no business judging anyone elses bacon. Yes, I've tried it. It was an an unholy abomination.

Back to beer/ale, interested to see if this is any good (http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/ampleforth-monks-mix-history-religion-malts-unique-new-171605297.html).

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 01:27 AM
I like tea. A lot. Preferably Yorkshire tea, but Sainsbury's Red Label is very nice. Also chocolate milk - Yazoo is the finest, though Tesco's chocolate brownie milk is very, very pleasant.

Yorkshire tea(not seen any tea fields here yet[/I)] is an abomination against tea, PG is where it's at with a close following by tetleys.

Especially appley rieslings if I'm having white
Riesling isn't wine, it's Germany's idea of a joke on the export market.

Also, a country which puts [I]chocolate on bacon really has no business judging anyone elses bacon. Yes, I've tried it. It was an an unholy abomination..

Chocolate covered bacon? that sounds worse than a battered marsbar...

Denzark
06-21-2012, 01:28 AM
Ham is generally from the leg, bacon is from the back (the word bacon is derived from one of the old words for back and buttock). Belly/streaky bacon, which is a disgusting waste of pork belly, it isn't really bacon. It is cured pork. English bacon is superior to all others!:p

Also, a country which puts chocolate on bacon really has no business judging anyone elses bacon. Yes, I've tried it. It was an an unholy abomination.

Back to beer/ale, interested to see if this is any good (http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/ampleforth-monks-mix-history-religion-malts-unique-new-171605297.html).

Mme L'EG:

I must slightly deviate. I had been told the Chinese used to break the tails of cats, as otherwise they would be perfect, and only the Gods can be perfect.

For me, you quoting an article from The Grauniad is breaking your tail...

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 01:53 AM
I was wondering if any of you peeps have tried any of the wellbeck abbey beers?

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 02:01 AM
No, but I remember Toby Foster or that guy thats on after him having the brew girl on the breakfast show...

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 02:48 AM
No, but I remember Toby Foster or that guy thats on after him having the brew girl on the breakfast show...

On a breakfast show!

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 03:10 AM
Yeah, it was really interesting, youngest female master brewer or something like that...

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 03:26 AM
You missed what I did there :(
I went to uni with that girl.
Part of the same uni society

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 03:34 AM
Sorry didn't have my +2 perception hat on...

cool, brewing society?

SotonShades
06-21-2012, 03:41 AM
Riesling isn't wine, it's Germany's idea of a joke on the export market. .

Maybe true 20 years ago, but the same could be said of British wines at the time. Admittedly we still suck at Reds, but our Sparkling Whites are among the best in the world. If you can get your hands on a bottle of Nyetimber, take as amny as you can. Superior to more or less any of the big Champagne Houses (though I am partical to a decent Mumm) but for the price of a good quality Cava.

Riesling has gone up in quality so much because the Germans all but stopped exporting wine for a decade or so. Mostly because they exported all their crap and kept the good stuff for themselves. A decade of making high quality wines for themselves has led to some really great wines, although of course they are never going to have the body of a warmer climate equivolent. For that matter, try a Chillian riesling. Difficult to get your hands on, but can be a very interesting, complex tipple. Because of the difficulty of growing Riesling, only the best winemakers even try nowadays, so the results are generally more than fair, but with the bad reputation the grape has from the 80's and early 90's, the bottles are comparitively cheap.

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 03:47 AM
It was certainly true a decade ago when I was wine tasting on the Rhine...
TBH I'm a fan of woody dry whites, sparkling sweet wines have never been my tipple of choice so I can hardly be objective, I prefer antipodean wines over anything else I've had recently...

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Sorry didn't have my +2 perception hat on...

cool, brewing society?

No, something more Ubercool (http://www.sugcr.union.shef.ac.uk/)

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 04:02 AM
That's definitely something...

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 04:03 AM
Nah, tis cool, we drank pubs dry

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 04:05 AM
lol, bloody students...

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 04:10 AM
In our defense we did *warn* the pub first, but they thuoght we were being proud and boastful

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 04:24 AM
http://chzallnighter.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/party-fails-professor-or-brofessor.png

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 04:31 AM
Awesome I laughed at that

Denzark
06-21-2012, 04:34 AM
Why comment on Brit wine - it is not the best and we have the God's own Ale in this green and hallowed land. Why would you drink Brit wine as a substitute - unless you are Jockanese and on the Buckfast.

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 04:39 AM
The only vineyard I've seen in the UK was next to a massive landfill near Leeds, can't imagine that does the flavour any favours...

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 04:44 AM
There are some nice ones in Summerset, quite dry, reminded me of some northern france flavours

eldargal
06-21-2012, 05:08 AM
In my defense I didn't even realise it was from the Guardian.:rolleyes: Could have been worse, it could have been from The Observer. Dun dun DUN.

Cats tails are pretty fantastic, a friend of mine has a ragdoll and his tail (the cats, not my friends) is like a huge feather duster its so damned adorable.

Mme L'EG:

I must slightly deviate. I had been told the Chinese used to break the tails of cats, as otherwise they would be perfect, and only the Gods can be perfect.

For me, you quoting an article from The Grauniad is breaking your tail...

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 05:42 AM
Wouldn't it be cool to have tails?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-21-2012, 05:49 AM
What kind of tails?

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Duck Tales!

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 06:05 AM
Prehensile ones, suppose like a monkeys...

It would make picking stuff up off the floor easier...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Yeah, but like a Lizard one? Or a Monkey one? Or a bone-y one?
What would it look like!

INFORMATION!

In other news, I require more beer!

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Like a monkeys, considering we're on the primate rung of the ladder...

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 06:22 AM
I hope you're not suggesting that we are just some sort of evolved ape!?

Psychosplodge
06-21-2012, 06:23 AM

Not in the evening, I wouldn't dare:(

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 06:26 AM
Ok just checking ;)

Necron2.0
06-21-2012, 09:08 AM

Chocolate? On BACON?!! Eeeeeww!!! Everyone knows chocolate* belongs on chichen!

* In this case, it's called Mole' (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=290049) (see linked recipe). Note: the recipe refers to something called "New Mexican Chiles," which makes me question how "authentic" it is. They are called "Hatch Chiles." Anyone from Southwestern US would know that.

Wolfshade
06-21-2012, 09:11 AM
:eek:
Really no idea what to say to that.

So, it has come to this.

Wildeybeast
06-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Why comment on Brit wine - it is not the best and we have the God's own Ale in this green and hallowed land. Why would you drink Brit wine as a substitute - unless you are Jockanese and on the Buckfast.

When the climate was couple of degrees warmer, English wine was famed across the Roman Empire of being some of the best their was. Like everything else in this island of ours, we can blame the weather.

L192837465
06-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Speaking of beer, I just finished off a few nights ago a 13% abv stout. My god it was good...

SotonShades
06-22-2012, 02:08 AM
:( I was reduced to Carling last night. Had to make the choice between 6th Ed stuff and good beer. The prospect of the 'real' beers they sell at the local co-op did help make the decision, along with the weather that I would have had to endure on the way to said local.

Now I feel dirty, but given the options I still think I just about made the better choice. :(

Wolfshade
06-22-2012, 02:12 AM
If you like strong beer, there is a Scottish Brewery called BrewDog

Tactical Nuclear Penguin (32% ABV)
Sink The Bismarck! (41% ABV) - at the time, the strongest beer ever produced. A quadruple IPA
The End of History (55% ABV) - the beer formerly known as "the world's strongest beer"
Ghost Deer (28% ABV) - The world's strongest naturally fermented beer

Though some of the brewing processes means that they might be better reffered to a barley wines or spirits

Wolfshade
06-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Now I feel dirty, but given the options I still think I just about made the better choice. :(

You could have just had a soda and lime

Psychosplodge
06-22-2012, 02:24 AM
Or neat ethyl alcohol...

I think the taste suffers in these super strong beers...

Wolfshade
06-22-2012, 02:32 AM
I agree.
It irritates me people who buy beer (or wine) by their ABV

eldargal
06-22-2012, 03:55 AM
I've had some decent British methode champenoise sparkling wine (can't just call it champagne anymore:rolleyes:) actually. The climate in some areas of Britain isn't much removed from the Champagne region.

Psychosplodge
06-22-2012, 03:57 AM
Where actually sells English wines/champagnes ?

Wolfshade
06-22-2012, 04:22 AM
Nowhere sells English champaigns, they don't exist!
Most wine shops, I mean proper ones not like threshers, Odd bins/lathwaites if you are going for a national chain. Might need to order it for you mind.

Psychosplodge
06-22-2012, 04:37 AM
They do i've seen them mention it on tv!

You trying to tell me tv has lied to me?

Wolfshade
06-22-2012, 05:00 AM
So, it has come to this.

TV lies, apparently you can buy cars that you don't pay road tax for, well aside no one has paid road tax since 1937 or something.
Technically, they need to be made in Champaign to be a Champaign, similiarly, Cornish pasties need to be made in Cornwall

Psychosplodge
06-22-2012, 05:45 AM
that's a technicality, considering the English invented it before the french separately "discovered" it...

Wolfshade
06-22-2012, 05:48 AM
I like technicallities :D

Mr Mystery
06-24-2012, 05:41 AM
that's a technicality, considering the English invented it before the french separately "discovered" it...

Not so much. The French had a load of wine that had effectively gone bad. The English drank it and liked it.

Psychosplodge
06-24-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm sure I saw some history program that said they'd been making it for 100 years or so in southern England before they made the "discovery" in france...

Wolfshade
06-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Back to Beer!

The weekend Beers

Citra - Oakham
Very pale (for me at least) light and refreshing slightly fruity taste with a bitter after taste

Old Empire - Martsons
A traditional IPA, very hoppy

Fortyniner - Ringwood
More golden of colour well rounded in flavour

Wolfshade
06-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Tongiht's beer

XL - Burton Bridge Brewery
Amber ale, nice fresh taste

Cumberland - Jennings
Darker than the XL, with a more bitter taste crisp and statisfying

Wildeybeast
06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Cumberland is one of the few ales I have tried and not liked. Don't know why, but it really did not agree with me.

Wolfshade
06-25-2012, 04:43 PM
It's not my favourite Jennings ale I prefer Sneck Lifter, but it is one of those things if oyu don't like their hops then you probably won't like any of their stuff

Psychosplodge
06-26-2012, 01:20 AM
Sneck lifter should be reclassified as a low level bio-hazard....

Wolfshade
06-26-2012, 01:34 AM
Sneck lifter should be reclassified as a low level bio-hazard....
It is a bit dark :)

Wolfshade
06-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Well tonight's beer was the Hobgoblin - Dark and full of cheeky character

This makes me sound like I have some kind of drinking problem, but my near death experience drove me to it

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 02:20 AM
That's it, rub it in...

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 02:40 AM
It's not rubbing alchomahol

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 03:14 AM
Was it the other thread I derailed with the tales of woe I suffer if I imbibe the liquid joy that is hobgoblin?

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 03:21 AM
I don't know, but your challenge is to get it teniously into a "sensible" thread

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 03:23 AM
I think I did, I think it was when I was on about hobnobs having the potential to kill me, Hobgoblin does the same....

*sad face*

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 03:29 AM
:(

I'm sorry

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 03:30 AM
I still risk it occasionally lol

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Dangerous days

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 03:45 AM
What's the point of living to not be able to do what you enjoy?

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 03:58 AM
What happens if society says "No!"?

SotonShades
06-27-2012, 04:00 AM
There is a bottle of Ringwood's fortyninner in the fridge. I don't know if I can drink it or not. Most frustrating! Also, I've never seen it in a bottle before, only on tap. Damn my parents for holidaying near where I used to live...

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 04:05 AM
In the fridge?!
Sacrilege!
Whenever I vist my Dad he seems to have quite a cololection of beer. I seem to recall he had some 49er in a box set with some other ringword like Old Thumper and Boondoggle :D

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 04:05 AM
What happens if society says "No!"?

If it harms no one do as you will...

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 04:18 AM
What if it harms my sensibilities?

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 04:29 AM
That's between you and your conscience

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 04:31 AM
But is a direct result of your actions.
I am just curious here, so i appologise in advance if I offend it is not my intention.
Or what happens if it harms yourself?

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 04:42 AM
hmm, good question, I suppose a certain level of self harm doesn't affect anyone else so it's not a problem, though if someone makes a decision to end their life I believe they have that right too, I suppose it's the middle ground where you damage yourself badly enough that it affects others an ongoing basis I'd be uncomfortable with...

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 04:48 AM
So where would you stand with say smoking? In the short term it causes you no harm but in the long term it causes cancer and the treatment for such I end up having to pay for (through general taxation)?
(this is assuming that there is a direct correlation between smokes and cancer)

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 04:50 AM
I think as the alternative is to put that tax on fuel I think it should be encouraged in the privacy of their own homes.

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 04:53 AM
I think as the alternative is to put that tax on fuel I think it should be encouraged in the privacy of their own homes.

:D

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Well apparently smokers get a lecture everytime they go the quacks,
now think of the hole in the country's finances if every smoker quit tomorrow....

What they'd be better doing is legalising drug use so they can tax it, and save the money that's currently wasted chasing the muppets that use them throw the courts for minor possession...
And as the problems of O/D, theft to feed the habit, other related criminality already exsists and cost's money now you might as well be able to tax it pay for these costs...

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 05:13 AM
That really is quite true, the government doesn't want people to stop smoking any more than it wants them to stop running cars with poor fuel efficiency.
Also regulation of such illegal activities would decrease the cost, increase the safety of the product.

I imagine we are not far off being taxed per mile, the technology exists to measure it already...

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 05:16 AM
That'd be a gross invasion of privacy

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Well currently on the motorways the average speed of vehicles are measured using ANPR systems and can tell how long it take a vehicle to get between two points. TomTom etc. use data from GPS systems and trackers to provide floating vehicle data, again tracking where vehicles are and what speed they are doing. It's already here!

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 05:40 AM
I know to a certain extent the ability's there, but to use this charge by the mile changes it to the active tracking of everyone, rather than passive tracking, with the ability to track offenders etc...

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 05:47 AM
Yeah it's how it is used that is a difference.
I remember reading that one Police force used the floating vehicle data to inform it where drivers in their region most frequently sped and then cited the traffic enforcement cameras their to curb the edge.
Even the passive anpr systems which mask the VIN of cars can be use "actively" to gather intelligence for Police investigations, it can't be used as evidence because of how they work.

My previous car insurance was with a firm that installed a black box and they charged per mile for the insurance I used and that was able to tell how far I've travelled at what time of day and what speeds I was doing. Some of them now even report back the forces of acceleration pass it through an algorithm to assess how good a driver is and charge them based on their driving style

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 05:49 AM
By owning a mobile you can be tracked, but being actively tracked by your mobile would be irritating

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 05:55 AM
We jsut need to wait for the GPS data to be sold by our network providers so that while we are surfing on our mobile devices we get adverts based on places we visit, to match our computer based browsing where the adverts are only based on websites we visit

Psychosplodge
06-27-2012, 05:59 AM
What I need is a phone adblock thats as effective as the one I use on the pc...

Wolfshade
06-27-2012, 06:05 AM
Isn't that the truth

SotonShades
06-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Right, that's nearly got us back on track. Next week I'm off to the F1 British Grand prix, meaning 5 days of camping. Gonna be just me, a tent and a couple of crates of beer. Well, and thousands of other fans, an on site pub and many other entertainments...

Back to those crates of beer... Silverstone has a strict 'No Glass' Policy. There fore I need to find some good ales that come in tins/cans. Or, and I am worried by the potential responses here so don't judge me, plastic bottles.

Any good, relatively budget friendly, suggestions? Might see about heading to Everard's and buying a small keg, but I'm not sure what they cost, or how easy it will be to keep safe and sotred correctly. Going out to the car to pour a pint sounds wrong...

Psychosplodge
06-28-2012, 07:02 AM
This is what spirits and hip flasks are for, or wine in boxes, obviously these are acceptable as the correct means to drink beer is banned...

SotonShades
06-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Oh I have the hipflasks of rum and whisky ready. But man cannot exhist on spirits alone...

I supposei Could buy bottles and pour them into a very throughly cleaned 2l pop bottle.

Psychosplodge
06-28-2012, 07:39 AM
I'd still go with the wine boxes, you just take the cardboard off and have a nice foil bag of wine, see it all the time at festivals...

Wolfshade
07-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Yesterday's beer
Green King's IPA Smoothflow
Brilliant IPA, tangy and refreshing with a light bittern aftertaste, unfortunately, it was on an automatic tap, so was pressurised out instead of being hand draw, this smoothflow, then gives much smaller bubbles and a much more aerated feeling, and seems to suppress the flavour, also not helped with it being served at larger temperature.

Today's beer
Cobra
While not my usual beer, being a larger and all, it does complement the curry I had rather nicely. Light and refreshing that helped clean the pallet. Interestingly, it was actually developed by real ale aficionado and so has a much more complex flavour and a nice hoppy after taste.

Wolfshade
07-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Today's beer
Styrian - Single Hop beer (made with Solvienian hop)
Very tangy with a lovely full aftertaste with a citriusy nose. Golden in colour, crisp and refreshing, perfect for a summer night.
I hope it is still on tap next week

SotonShades
07-10-2012, 07:50 AM
I had several Ales at the F1 (they have their own pub in the campsite! it were rubbish really lol) but I can't really remember what any of them were like, and I highly doubt that the names they had were their normal names anyway.

Psychosplodge
07-11-2012, 03:06 AM
http://chzallnighter.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/party-fails-featuring-electropop-thats-still-a-bit-too-synthy-to-be-top.jpg

Psychosplodge
07-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Double post, but some things need sharing

http://chzallnighter.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/party-fails-bwaloop-achievement-unlocked.jpg

Wolfshade
07-13-2012, 03:50 AM
Why would my beer be freezing? It isn't served that cold to begin with, by drinking it you create internal friction that would heat it up if anything!

Psychosplodge
07-13-2012, 03:54 AM
I never said it was accurate lol, plus I think they're using beer to encompass lagers too..

Wolfshade
07-16-2012, 03:38 AM
To celebrate my Dad's birthday we had some beers, which was nice.

Adnam's Southwold (4.1%) (http://adnams.co.uk/beer/our-beers/adnams-southwold-bitter/)

Morland's Old Golden Hen (4.1%) (http://www.oldspeckledhen.co.uk/products.php?beer=old-golden-hen)

Jenning's Cocker Hoop (4.2%) (http://www.jenningsbrewery.co.uk/beers/beer.aspx?bid=7)

and some random (but rather nice) hoppy beer from a Gloucester beer festival, have no idea what the name was, it was a little cloudy, but amber/coppery

SotonShades
07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Ahh no! We can't let beer fall off the bottom of page one of the Oubilette! Sacrilidge!

Tonight's beer for me was Badger's Fursty Ferrret. As I believe I have said before, not a bad beer. Quite sweet, easy to drink, fairly hoppy finish. Nothing amazing, but plenty good enough, especially on a nice hot day like today. 4.4%, tastes really good out of a Dwarven ceramic tankard.

Next will probably be Badger's Hoppying Hare. Though I might wait for dinner for that'un.

Mr Mystery
07-26-2012, 11:33 AM
King Goblin, in my Bugman's Leather Jack.

Lovely.

SotonShades
07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
:( I want the Leather Jack. It would complete my set...

Psychosplodge
08-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Just leave this here if I haven't already...
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7oruzneVJ1rby7x1o1_1280.jpg

Denzark
08-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Bump!

PS still loving this:

http://www.innisandgunn.com/

best thing out of Scotland since a victorious English army with a load of prisoners to torture and looted haggis to defile.

Psychosplodge
08-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Defile haggis? surely the best thing to do with haggis is avoid under all circumstances?

Wolfshade
08-20-2012, 02:27 AM
I enjuoyed some Red White and Brew by wadworth, nice and zesty brilliantly refreshing on a muggy day.

Denzark
11-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Now, I thought this goodness was not to drop off the front page of the Oubliette...

I am having a proper Ale renaissance. Adnams Broadside. I am drinking it fast and not chilled. And I helped the hordes run Bugmans out of XXXXXX last weekend....

Bugmans XXXXXX vs Trollslayer? Well trollslayer tastes like Gotrek's Loincloth so stick to XXXXXX!

SotonShades
11-17-2012, 09:40 AM
XXXXXX is far to weak and pale to be a Dwarvish brew. It really needs to be a much heartier bitter, not a Pale Ale. Still, it's not a bad pale ale. As for Troll Brew... I kinda don't remember it. Not because I got hammered, just not a beer of particular note I guess. Don't remember it being bad though. Maybe the barrel was close to the bregs or a little old?

Broadside is a decent pint though. Something like 5% as well I believe?

Deadlift
11-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Well tonight it was Doom Bar.

I like ruby beers

Doom Bar, is very nice. Thumbs up, good choice.

as with wine drinkers a certain snobbery is quite alive and well amongst ale drinkers too, who's had the most obscure etc etc. it's all bull**** really. Nothing wrong with a pint of worthingtons and when in the mood numerous pints of Stella Artois hit the spot too.

Wildeybeast
11-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Doom Bar, is very nice. Thumbs up, good choice.

as with wine drinkers a certain snobbery is quite alive and well amongst ale drinkers too, who's had the most obscure etc etc. it's all bull**** really. Nothing wrong with a pint of worthingtons and when in the mood numerous pints of Stella Artois hit the spot too.

Except for the fact that Worthingtons tastes horrible.

Wolfshade
11-19-2012, 03:07 AM
There is a brewer called Oakham Ales, they are a minibrew but make very nice beer :)

I have a beer blog:
http://alesiveknownanddrunk.blogspot.co.uk/

Deadlift
11-19-2012, 03:09 AM
Taste is are personal thing, but you proved the point :)

Psychosplodge
11-19-2012, 03:18 AM
DL can you get HSD in you neck of the woods or is it a cornish thing? Because if you can, why would you drink anything else? :D

Wolfshade
11-19-2012, 03:53 AM
Or the St Austell beers...

Psychosplodge
11-19-2012, 04:09 AM
I think that may be a St Austall one. It's nice anyway...

Wolfshade
11-19-2012, 04:23 AM
Tribute IIRC

Psychosplodge
11-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Fair enough.

Deadlift
11-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Fair enough.

Yeah HSD is great with a nice steak, I have tribute on tap in the local as well. That's another nice pint.
My point is my tastes change and are quite situational :) if I am out feeling frisky and feel like ribbing some doormen, well Stella it is.

Psychosplodge
11-19-2012, 04:59 AM
if I am out feeling frisky and feel like ribbing some doormen, well Stella it is.

Interesting hobby you have there...

Deadlift
11-19-2012, 05:01 AM
Interesting hobby you have there...

:) it's alright I know most of them and were all friends really.

alshrive
11-22-2012, 09:09 AM
I would like to chip in with a recommendation for nearly everything from the Wychwood Brewery! especially King Goblin :)

Denzark
11-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah HSD is great with a nice steak, I have tribute on tap in the local as well. That's another nice pint.
My point is my tastes change and are quite situational :) if I am out feeling frisky and feel like ribbing some doormen, well Stella it is.

Careful Deady, the 'b' key is awful near the 'm'...;)

Denzark
12-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Right, a small bump. I got for Christmas a book called '300 beers you must try before you die' by Roger Protz. I had already tried some 39 of them, with 261 left to go. Has anyone drunk anything special this Crhimbo?

Wolfshade
12-26-2012, 05:46 PM
I had some Theakston's Lightfoot, not sure if that counts as specal. I do enjoy Theakston beers and I hadn't tried it before, a couple of of Christmas specials. I might need to read that book...

Denzark
12-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Theakston's old peculier is in there Wolfy, I like the Theakstons.

Deadlift
12-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Butcombe Blonde Premium, was very nice but now all gone :(
After that I resorted to Newcastle Brown Ale, no it's not refined but I like it.

Wolfshade
12-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Theakston's old peculier is in there Wolfy, I like the Theakstons.

One of my favourite family holidays of all time we were staying in Yorkshire just south of Masham, the one day we went to the Theakston brewery and tried everything on tap the next we went to the black sheep and did the same.

Mother didn't let Father choose the family activities again...

Emerald Rose Widow
12-27-2012, 01:27 PM
I dont usually drink beer at all, maybe a guiness once in a blue moon, but idk, most days I just dont like beer at all. If I am going to drink a beverage similar to beer I will drink a hard apple cider. My favorite is woodchuck, though I can never find any woodchuck in this state, so I just buy angry orchard, which has this gnarly angry old tree picture on the bottle. The stuff is really yummy, and it only really takes 3 or 4 to get me toasted.

Yeah, I know, hard apple cider, I am such a girl, but it tastes good.

Mr Mystery
12-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Seek out a good Perry. Note NOT Pear Cider. That's just cider flavoured with pears. Nothing wrong with that of itself, but a true Perry should have no idea what an Apple is!

Wolfshade
12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
I dont usually drink beer at all, maybe a guiness once in a blue moon, but idk, most days I just dont like beer at all. If I am going to drink a beverage similar to beer I will drink a hard apple cider. My favorite is woodchuck, though I can never find any woodchuck in this state, so I just buy angry orchard, which has this gnarly angry old tree picture on the bottle. The stuff is really yummy, and it only really takes 3 or 4 to get me toasted.

Yeah, I know, hard apple cider, I am such a girl, but it tastes good.

Seek out a good Perry. Note NOT Pear Cider. That's just cider flavoured with pears. Nothing wrong with that of itself, but a true Perry should have no idea what an Apple is!

I thought this was a beer thread not a cider and whatever guiness counts-as...

But I do agree that Perry =! Pear Cider...

Psychosplodge
01-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Right, a small bump. I got for Christmas a book called '300 beers you must try before you die' by Roger Protz. I had already tried some 39 of them, with 261 left to go. Has anyone drunk anything special this Crhimbo?

That's not the ridiculous one I made the mistake of buying is it with a dozen from London and then page after page of sh!tty yankee lager?

Over the break I had a few Deception, Absolution, and Farmers Blonde. Missed my usual Moonshine :(

Mr Mystery
01-02-2013, 04:59 AM
That's not the ridiculous one I made the mistake of buying is it with a dozen from London and then page after page of sh!tty yankee lager?

Over the break I had a few Deception, Absolution, and Farmers Blonde. Missed my usual Moonshine :(

The author does sound suspiciously American. I thus question his authority on a good pint. £20 says he's never drunk an Oscar Wilde!

Wolfshade
01-02-2013, 05:02 AM

I miss those Abbey Dale beers :(

Psychosplodge
01-02-2013, 05:03 AM
Think Farmer's Blonde is a Bradfield Brewery one but yeah they were good...

Psychosplodge
01-02-2013, 09:55 AM
So Hobgoblin/Wychwood are running a competition...Anyone want to be nice want to do me a massive favour?

Go here (http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/pages/hobgoblin) and vote for Lesbian Bed Death They're near the end of the list, I really want to see them in a festival setting, and I'm already going to bloodstock...two birds, one stone and all that...

That's kinda beer related right?

Wolfshade
01-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Gets my vote, or will once I am home

Psychosplodge
01-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks! Now if only I had an internet following with a 100k subscribers...

Wolfshade
01-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Well after EG going on about them I tried a Porter this evening. It was dark and heavy and tasted just like Theakston's Old Peculier, though not as strong, in ABV not flavour.

Psychosplodge
01-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Bit heavy for my taste that sort of thing, but you surprise me, I thought they mostly had higher ABVs?

eldargal
01-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Well after EG going on about them I tried a Porter this evening. It was dark and heavy and tasted just like Theakston's Old Peculier, though not as strong, in ABV not flavour.

You liked it then?

I've decided I need to drink more, or less. I'm fine if I drink nothing at lunch, and if I drink heaps it's fine. But if I drink a couple of glasses of wine with lunch suddenly I thnk changing my names to Hugz McNoughton or Cuddles McNab would be the Best Thing Ever

Mr Mystery
01-05-2013, 10:12 AM
A good Porter can't be beat!

For me, Larkins or Dark Star's Smoked Porter. Lovely stuff!

Denzark
01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
You liked it then?

I've decided I need to drink more, or less. I'm fine if I drink nothing at lunch, and if I drink heaps it's fine. But if I drink a couple of glasses of wine with lunch suddenly I thnk changing my names to Hugz McNoughton or Cuddles McNab would be the Best Thing Ever

Belle du Jour?

PS as an aside tonight's game will see 2.5k of CSM and Daemons vs Some sternguard masquerading as Deathwatch. I intend to play the 'hunt the fallen' mission in Jan WD. I will be smoking a pipe and drinking Hobgoblin, Speckled Hen, and Adnams Broadside.

Mr Mystery
01-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Whereas I'm off up the pub in a bit to drink whatever is on!

Love how they change the beer really often! And the really know how to store it.

Wolfshade
01-05-2013, 02:01 PM
You liked it then?

It was alright, though I was in the mood for something lighter...

SotonShades
01-05-2013, 02:12 PM
As a birthday gift, I've been given a pair of ales; Sambrook's Brewery's Powerhouse Porter and London Fields Brewery's Love Not War. No idea if they'll be any good though. Anyone from that neck of the woods have any info? If not, I might just later tonight.

Psychosplodge
04-22-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm bringing it back for this (http://www.thedrunkenmoogle.com/post/48614616656/theartificeclub-dieselpunk-beer-ipa-and-porter)

Wolfshade
04-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Meh, red boxes everywhere

http://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/media/catalog/product/h/o/hoptimus-pump.png
http://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/catalog/product/view/id/82/category/22

This was on tap on Saturday

Psychosplodge
04-22-2013, 09:26 AM

The pun is strong with this one...

Wildeybeast
04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Meh, red boxes everywhere

http://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/media/catalog/product/h/o/hoptimus-pump.png
http://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/catalog/product/view/id/82/category/22

This was on tap on Saturday

In the Wetherspoons beer festival (that's where I had it any rate)? It was rather nice.

Psychosplodge
06-04-2013, 04:37 AM
So saw the local CAMRA mag the other day. One of the beers is described as

As black as Thatcher's heart, and as bitter as a miner's tears.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/c89279a063b324888374c94dcc94c676/tumblr_mntp04LLlC1s8g9k5o1_500.gif

Wolfshade
06-04-2013, 04:52 AM
Oh that reminded me, a local supermakret had this:

http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1760043.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Iron+Maiden+beer.jpg

Psychosplodge
06-04-2013, 04:54 AM
I want that one.

Wolfshade
06-04-2013, 05:00 AM
A mate who tried it described it as "bland without character, a bit like maiden"

Psychosplodge
06-04-2013, 05:03 AM

that's harsh...

Minibem
06-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Why have I never seen this thread before.....

:confused:

just the title alone got me hooked!

I was quite happy last night as I found the local supermarket does Doombar :)

Psychosplodge
06-04-2013, 07:51 AM
It occasionally drops off the front page...

Wolfshade
06-04-2013, 08:03 AM
I tend to drink different beer each week.

I like beer it makes me strong.

Psychosplodge
06-04-2013, 08:14 AM
http://youtu.be/0-inbfUDwLM

Denzark
06-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Mmm. Doombar. Mmm. Beer.

Wolfshade
06-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Mmm. Doombar. Mmm. Beer.

Regional winner of the Morning Advertiser ‘Great British Pub Supplier Award’, 2009 and 2010
International Beer Challenge World Top 50 Beer 2006
Bronze medal winner, Publican Licensees Choice Awards, 2010
Bronze in the International Beer Challenge, 2011

Wolfshade
06-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Some politics I can get behind: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10105279/Nigel-Farage-I-am-entitled-to-a-lunchtime-pint.html

Psychosplodge
06-09-2013, 04:03 PM
But by the time I've drove to the pub and got served I wouldn't have time to drink it in a relaxing manner before I had to set off again...

Wolfshade
06-10-2013, 01:54 AM
In payment for babysitting my nephew, I was rewarded by 1 bottle of Trooper (previously seen here: #216 (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?22528-The-Beer-Thread&p=314101&viewfull=1#post314101))

Overall impression "meh"

I get the distinct impression it should have stayed being brewed for another month. The falvour was underdeveloped, and while not unpleasent was instantly forgetable.

Deadlift
06-10-2013, 02:13 AM
Yeah I had a bottle of Trooper at a friends last week. Novelty beer really and the Iron Maiden gimmick is just that. Went back to drinking Tribute after 1 bottle.

Minibem
06-10-2013, 03:28 AM
Watched a prog last night about about the Guy who own's tiger beer.

Also tried a local north london beer yesterday was very nice, but left before I could get the name :( Oh well good excuse to go back next week

Kirsten
06-10-2013, 04:32 AM
not a beer drinker personally, whiskey all the way.
I do quite like the Okells Mac Lir though, bout the only ale I could drink.

Wolfshade
06-10-2013, 04:42 AM
You can have all the whiskey you like, leaves all the whisky for me!

Do Okells export to the mainland?

Kirsten
06-10-2013, 04:45 AM
not sure about exporting to England, they do have about 20 pubs so far there though. They are utterly incompetent scum and I cannot begin to express how much I hate them, but a few of their ales are nice, Red and Alt are all worth trying. The much rare Aile is incredibly popular too, won an award. The wikipedia page lists them as available through UK beer distributors, so you might well be able to get some.

Wolfshade
06-10-2013, 04:52 AM
EG may like the Aile, she likes porters.

Hmm there pubs are in Liverpool or Wales. Not going to happen.

Oh recentlr brought out by the Market Town Tavern group, they are in Yorkshire so there is more of a chance, though it would need to be coincident with one of those with a manx beer.

Or alternatively, I could visit the island, but that seems like hard work.

Psychosplodge
06-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Bols drinking weekend, IoM 2014?
Do they have a beer festival?

Wolfshade
06-10-2013, 05:05 AM
There was one April this year http://www.iombeerfestival.com/
so maybe one next year.
Plus we can all stay with Kirsten, I'm sure she wouldn't mind :rolleyes:

Kirsten
06-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Oh recentlr brought out by the Market Town Tavern group, they are in Yorkshire so there is more of a chance, though it would need to be coincident with one of those with a manx beer.

they recently bought out Market Town, not the other way round, all of that chain should be stocking okells, that was the original plan. given the shocking inadequecies of the company however that might not in fact be the case. it is a shame really because the head brewer knows his stuff, they make very good beer, and manx purity laws are quite famous.

eldargal
06-10-2013, 05:09 AM
Now I want ale.:( Ooh its nearly luncheon, yay ale.

Deadlift
06-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Bols drinking weekend, IoM 2014?
Do they have a beer festival?

Combine it with the TT and I'm in. Beer and Bikes, fantastic :)

Kirsten
06-10-2013, 05:19 AM
get on the Bushy's Piston Brew

Wolfshade
06-10-2013, 05:20 AM
they recently bought out Market Town, not the other way round, all of that chain should be stocking okells, that was the original plan. given the shocking inadequecies of the company however that might not in fact be the case. it is a shame really because the head brewer knows his stuff, they make very good beer, and manx purity laws are quite famous.

Ooops. It is always a shame when you have a great product but then lack the know how to get it out.

Kirsten
06-10-2013, 05:22 AM
yeah, I could fill an entire thread with their failures, you would scarce believe half of them. the only reason they can still operate is because they have a monopoly on the pubs and the importing of alcohol, so it is hard to avoid giving them your money. with any sort of competition they would have folded decades ago. they do make some really good ale though, try it if you get the chance

Wolfshade
06-10-2013, 05:28 AM
Will do when we come to visit :)

Kirsten
06-10-2013, 05:30 AM
the afore mentioned Piston Brew is really the drink of the TT though

Psychosplodge
06-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Combine it with the TT and I'm in. Beer and Bikes, fantastic :)

Wouldn't that be the worst time to go when it comes to price/availability of accommodation? Plus the bike racing could get in the way of beer tasting...

Kirsten
06-10-2013, 05:55 AM
nothing gets in the way of beer tasting. availability is an issue, people often book a year in advance

Denzark
06-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Anyone had Iron Maiden Trooper beer yet??????????

Psychosplodge
06-10-2013, 02:16 PM
I think Wolfie did at the weekend, read back a couple of pages

Deadlift
06-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Yep, nothing special to be honest. Gimmick nothing more.

Wolfshade
06-10-2013, 04:23 PM
In payment for babysitting my nephew, I was rewarded by 1 bottle of Trooper (previously seen here: #216 (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?22528-The-Beer-Thread&p=314101&viewfull=1#post314101))

Overall impression "meh"

I get the distinct impression it should have stayed being brewed for another month. The falvour was underdeveloped, and while not unpleasent was instantly forgetable.

I think Wolfie did at the weekend, read back a couple of pages

Yup :)