PDA

View Full Version : white dwarf #97

orkward2.0
06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
After a traffic accident a year ago in which i broke a few bones i was pretty immobile and my next door neighbour lent me a few 40k books to read.I have since read all i can get my hands on including the ultra marines books.Imagine my suprise then when i found an old copy of White dwarf in the loft and it contained the following biog for marneus calgar. Calgar was amongst human prisoners rescued from hive fleet "locust" in the year 947 of the current millenium.His age was then estimated at 14 years based on translucency tests of molar eruption and epiphyseal fusion of the long bones.This makes calgar 44 years old at the time of writing.Calgar was subjected to the usual tissue compatability and psychological tests,passed with flying colours and was recruited into the order as a neophyte in the armoury.Calgar took his vows in 951 and was fully ordained as a brother marine in 954.He quickly rose through the ranks and was elected master of the household in973 and commander in 977 following the death of decon,the third lord macagge.following a severe mauling in 976 calgar has not taken part in any actions personally.His bionic hands are actually very complex devices incorparating a variety of weapons and other gadgetry,including jokaero digital weapons,knives,lights and communicator. I thought he was a little older than that ,and dont get me started on Chief librarian astropath illiyan nastase who is apparantly half eldar?

Cpt Codpiece
06-14-2012, 04:56 PM
yeah the old rogue trader stuff was pretty out there, leman russ was not a primarch (they were not invented then) and had gills apparently, after acidic fallout his lungs were ruined and had robotic/cybernetcic gills implanted.

the whole half eldar thing is kinda funny though, the pic of him was ok, very fitting with the models at the time

Wolfshade
06-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Not all the has been reconted was a good thing...

Psychosplodge
06-15-2012, 05:48 AM
The half eldar thing was a bit too D&D, and before orks were fungus "teenage" orks became disciplined and joined the stormboyz...

Cpt Codpiece
06-15-2012, 07:42 AM
The half eldar thing was a bit too D&D, and before orks were fungus "teenage" orks became disciplined and joined the stormboyz...

oh how i miss hair squigs, i always thought the age of an ork still mattered, with the more killing and beatings they give/take they get bigger and end up as 'ard boys, then nobs then kicked out to forge a new waaaaggghh when they got on the warboss' nerves or frightened him LOL

Psychosplodge
06-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Yeah it does but then they were portrayed as mummy and daddy ork not understanding their offsprings new found devotion to drill, discipline and polishing...

And hair squigs were totally awesome!!

energongoodie
06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
I miss White Dwarf being good :(

TashaG
07-09-2012, 02:22 AM

Orks were always fungus. They just didn't grow from spores like they do in the current fluff. It was a "Theory" that they were evolved Squigs, and Snotlings and Gretchen (grots) were just other off shoots of Ork kind. Ere We Go didn't really explain how little orks were made (not that I remember and I am too lazy to unpack my books from storage). Of course in those days they were much more interested in explaining both WH Fantasy and 40k as both seemed to exist in the same universe.

Psychosplodge
07-09-2012, 02:27 AM
No they always had algae in their blood and under the skin, but at one point there were mummy and daddy orks living in little tribal villages...

daboarder
07-09-2012, 02:56 AM

You can see why that one was removed though, Its a rather strong reference to a particular infamous youth group.

Psychosplodge
07-09-2012, 03:14 AM
You can see why that one was removed though, Its a rather strong reference to a particular infamous youth group.
If it's good enough for the pope...

nah doesn't really work does it?

bfmusashi
07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Holy crap, I didn't realize hair squigs were gone until you mentioned it. I thought it just faded out like Eldar mohawks, powerfists, and face paint. Now I want all back. That's right GW, you let us believe in Squats again and now we want all the stuff you've been trying to forget. And power boards damnit, if Mattel is making a hoverboard for Christmas I want a group of fast attack guardsmen who have to take a dangerous terrain check to turn!

Psychosplodge
07-13-2012, 01:22 AM
What happened to hair squigs? They were sooooooooo cute!