PDA

View Full Version : My dilemma - Librarians and Storm Wardens

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Hello everyone,

Advice time please!
I have yet to paint a Librarian for my Storm Wardens (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Storm_Wardens) and I came to start one last night and had a fit of rage.

I don't want to paint him the standard codex blue, Storm Wardens are already blue!
In my opinion, the reason the Librarians are blue is to make them stand out a bit, how then does he stand out when everyone else is the same colour?!?

So I'm trying to think of an alternate colour for them, all the other colour changes in the army are the same.
White Apothecaries, Red Techmarines, Black Chaplains, etc.

imp
06-13-2012, 01:38 AM
You could invert the coulour scheme, or paint him a darker blue

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Could work... Any more suggestions? I've got all day (literally)

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 01:52 AM
Purple, you should paint him purple

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Ooooh, that could work!

Everyone knows that I'm gay for purple. xD

eldargal
06-13-2012, 01:56 AM
I'd keep it blue but go for more contrast colours to make it stand out. Trimmed armour plates as well as shoulder pads, more highlighting etc.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 01:57 AM
So like bright red cloth or something?

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 02:02 AM
How about a nice baby blue?

eldargal
06-13-2012, 02:06 AM
I quite like the contrast between blue and white but red would probably work too, ifthat is your armies other main colour.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
How about a nice baby blue?

Cloth or Armour? xD

@eldargal, the secondary colour is silver, the tertiary colour is purple.

Cpt Codpiece
well ultra librarians are blue, they dont seem to have a problem.

i think the main issue is giving him a distinct look. psy hood and force weapon need to stand out.
the golden yellow tabard and detailing of the librarius does separate them somewhat.

maybe incorporate the silver of the chapter into the chapter badge pad, maybe the trim?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 02:21 AM
Ultramarines suck. Jokes, I do quite like them.
I think I'd rather a red tabard to be honest, or even tartan. We are Celts after all.
The psy hood could be silver as well as the shoulder pads, would the legs also need silver on them?

I like the level of response here guys (and gal), thanks.

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 02:40 AM
!
Keep him blue, but give him a tartan sash!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 02:43 AM
You were slightly aroused when I said "tartan" weren't you? xD

Look at this guy's tabard (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/151/e/a/khullain_by_1mpact-d51skf4.jpg)

alshrive
06-13-2012, 04:06 AM
i think actually you need to split him! right down the middle! blue on one side and pure white on the other! that way you stick with the colours of the stormwardens but he will stand out in that he his paint scheme is different.As you have also expressed latent homosexual tendencies for colours of the purple hue, may i then suggest painting his tabard in a nice purple to contrast the white and blue?

ALShrive

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 04:11 AM
As you have also expressed latent homosexual tendencies for colours of the purple hue

Latent? Latent, my friend? I have declared my passion for purple! I'm a purplesexual. xD

In all seriousness, their colours are actually blue and silver, but I see what you mean, that could also work.

alshrive
06-13-2012, 04:13 AM
would this be a bad time to make a typo spelling Fuchsia?

and i think a nice split is the way to go!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 04:17 AM
You got it right dude!
Yeah, I'm thinking that could work... I'll do a demo on a craptical marine that I have lying around.

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 04:17 AM
You were slightly aroused when I said "tartan" weren't you? xD

Look at this guy's tabard (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/151/e/a/khullain_by_1mpact-d51skf4.jpg)

Yup, though a read it as tartine mmm pastries

That is awesome, but need MOAR

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 04:20 AM
Need moar Storm Wardens?

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 04:53 AM
Tartan togas/tabards tantalising terrified tyranids

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Tooooooooooooooogaaaaaaaaa!!!

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 05:15 AM
I was going to generate a Kahn but with "TOOOGGGGAAA!!!!" but I can't access such sites so you can use your imagination
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2011/06/khan.jpg
Tooooooooooooooogaaaaaaaaa!!!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 05:18 AM
PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Nice one. :D
I nearly choked on a crisp!

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 05:31 AM
So, have you had any thoughts towards what scheme to use?
I think on the one hand, they need to be blue but need to stand out so distinctive and stand out (similiar to the yellow robes on some Ultras) maybe just a banner would provide the distinction

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 05:35 AM
So far I'm thinking of either:
- Keep to the codex and have a TARTAN TOGA
or
- Halved colours with purple toga

By the looks of it, Terminators invert the colours anyway.

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 06:04 AM
I was looking around http://stormwardens.blogspot.co.uk/ and found the below image of a librarian
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kX3htCfXgVU/TCvYsnfHHcI/AAAAAAAADuM/4En1kOMedZI/s1600/Librarian-Final.jpg the other imagies I've seen of them painted up don't really seem to shome them much different from the other marines

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 06:13 AM
Yeah, the Storm Wardens follow the Codex Astartes, so colouring is the same.
But when it comes to Terminators the colours are inverted, so would that remain the case for a Terminator Librarian?

phoenix01
06-13-2012, 06:13 AM
Actually, current fluff says that many Space Marine chapters are getting away from having their Librarians wear all blue armor, just like the Apothecaries aren't wearing all white armor anymore. Only the Techmarines in their Martian red armor and the Chaplains in their all black armor seem unwilling to let go. So, I'd paint my Librarian to match, only give him the classic yellow tabard.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 06:26 AM
But come 30th July, who knows what might be canon? I, for one, welcome our new Crab overlords.

So many choices and opinions. I'll have a think and do some demos tonight.

Kirsten
06-13-2012, 06:29 AM
normal colours, different blue trim, and lightening patterns

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 06:32 AM
Sorry Kirsten, what do you mean by trim? (I'm a bit dopey today)

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Actually, current fluff says that many Space Marine chapters are getting away from having their Librarians wear all blue armor, just like the Apothecaries aren't wearing all white armor anymore. Only the Techmarines in their Martian red armor and the Chaplains in their all black armor seem unwilling to let go. So, I'd paint my Librarian to match, only give him the classic yellow tabard.

Quote your sources!
Seriously, this is not something I have come across,
Way back in 2nd ed, my terminator librarian was red (like the rest of his BA chums) with a blue sash as I didn't want him looking like an ultramarine

Kirsten
06-13-2012, 06:36 AM
trim as in the edge of the shoulder pads, you could do the knees, elbows, that kind of thing.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 06:40 AM
trim as in the edge of the shoulder pads, you could do the knees, elbows, that kind of thing.

Ah, cool. Thanks for the clarification. :)

SotonShades
06-13-2012, 07:25 AM
But come 30th July, who knows what might be canon? I, for one, welcome our new Crab overlords.

So many choices and opinions. I'll have a think and do some demos tonight.

All hail the Crab-Emorer! Kneal before His Lobsters Astartes or be crushed under claws of His Imperial Shrimp.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 07:28 AM
It seems to be a running gag in Shrewsbury, whenever there's talk of a new army we always say "it's the crab people!" :D

SotonShades
06-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Seriosuly though, I would maintian the Storm Wardens colour scheme, but with a much, much darker blue. Deep purple tabard/robes, possibly even his trim, would also help distinguish him from the rank and file (if terminators can ever be called such a thing!) I'd also suggest having a blue shoulder guard instead of white.

Tynskel
06-13-2012, 07:33 AM
I would Paint your librarian white with blue highlights.

White representing the purity of Knowledge, the blue representing the protection of knowledge.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 07:34 AM
I'd also suggest having a blue shoulder guard instead of white.

Their chapter symbol is mainly blue, so that'd kinda look weird.

The rest of it sounds good though.

Cpt Codpiece
06-13-2012, 07:36 AM
since you are going celtic, how about his force sword being based off the Claíomh Solais.

Phantasy star universe does a nice interpretation of it, the trim around the outside you could do any colour (Purple? ;p) but the scroll work is pretty cool too

http://psupedia.info/images/f/f5/Claiomhsolais.PNG

reading the stuff again, i would just follow the standard sceme, but make the librarius stuff obvious.... with the tartan kilt (if you can do it), any prefrence on your tartan? im actually tempted to try one and do my traditional tartan (morrison) as its quite similar to the art posted :)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Conveniently, my Mum's side is Scottish, this is our clan tartan.
http://jostartanpatterns.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/BrownImage.gif

Cpt Codpiece
06-13-2012, 07:47 AM
ohh yeah, thats actually pretty close to my modern tartan :)

http://www.lindaclifford.com/Images/Morrison.jpg

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Nice, mine's Brown. :D
Go Scotland!

gwensdad
06-13-2012, 08:58 AM
How about painting him as a Deathwatch vet with lots of black, a silver arm, but then the "normal" blues as needed?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Well, there is already an example in the Deathwatch book of a Storm Wardens Librarian in Deathwatch colours, I'll have a look into it.

L192837465
06-13-2012, 10:40 AM
I second the black armour. Black armour, silver trimmings, red or white cloth, your chapter color on his one shoulder pad, and force weapon and psychic hood red.

That would look super distict, and wouldn't be so bland as most deathwatch paintschemes are.

Props to libbies though!

Kawauso
06-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I'd suggest keeping him blue, but make it a bit darker.
The fact that all his armour is blue, and of a different shade, will make him stand out subtly from the rest of the army.

Then go with some really striking secondary colour on whatever cloth he happens to be wearing - something that no other model in your army has which compliments the blue of his armour. The cloth will be what makes him really stand out.

AnEnemy
06-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Do you know your Chapter's primogenitor Legion?

AnEnemy
06-13-2012, 12:07 PM
How about painting him as a Deathwatch vet with lots of black, a silver arm, but then the "normal" blues as needed?

Don't the vets revert to their Chapter's scheme while retaining the black arm and silver shoulder pad?

phoenix01
06-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote your sources!
Seriously, this is not something I have come across,
Way back in 2nd ed, my terminator librarian was red (like the rest of his BA chums) with a blue sash as I didn't want him looking like an ultramarine

'Index Astartes Volume 1: Psykana Librarius' [Librarians] in White Dwarf 259, pg.59 shows a White Scars Storm Seer (Librarian) in chapter colors with blue arm and shoulder pad, a Raven Guard Librarian in terminator armor with only a blue sholuder pad, and a Salamanders Librarian in chapter colors with only a blue helmet, shoulder pad, and arm. Mephiston is in blood red armor without a shred of blue on him. Space Wolf Rune Priests (Librarians) are typically in chapter colors. Sarepdon of the Soul Drinkers is in chapter colors.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Do you know your Chapter's primogenitor Legion?

It is Unknown, just like the Blood Ravens.

I think it's the Khan personally. Just because of tactics and such.

Wolfshade
06-14-2012, 01:46 AM
'Index Astartes Volume 1: Psykana Librarius' [Librarians] in White Dwarf 259, pg.59 shows a White Scars Storm Seer (Librarian) in chapter colors with blue arm and shoulder pad, a Raven Guard Librarian in terminator armor with only a blue sholuder pad, and a Salamanders Librarian in chapter colors with only a blue helmet, shoulder pad, and arm. Mephiston is in blood red armor without a shred of blue on him. Space Wolf Rune Priests (Librarians) are typically in chapter colors. Sarepdon of the Soul Drinkers is in chapter colors.

Cool. I would say though that WD259 (August 2001 if my googling is up to scratch) is not a more recent source.
I would also observe that Mephiston is a special character whose been set apart and has always been so, especially given back in 2nd ed when he was released he had identical stats to a Vampire Lord in fantasy (oh yes everyone else has an M of 4, not good ol' Meph M of 6!)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Because Mephiston is a dude!

I think I'm sticking to the codex but using a darker blue, then have either my tartan or a red cloak (to be fair, my tartan IS red).
Keep to the Wardens colour for both shoulder pads, will get pics up asap.