PDA

View Full Version : 6th ed BRB details

eldargal
06-12-2012, 03:53 AM
From Darnoks Birdy on Warseer:

There is no time for peace. No respite. No forgiveness.

There is only WAR.

In the nightmare future of the 41st Millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of destruction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens and threatened from within by Warp-spawned entities and heretical plots. Only the strength of the immortal Emperor of Terra stands between humanity and its annihilation, and in his name, countless warriors and agents do battle against the encroaching darkness. Foremost amongst them stand the Space Marines, the ultimate protectors of Mankind.

Across airless moons, within the depths of dark, twisted hive worlds and even in the immaterial realm of Warp space, battles rage that will shape the future of the galaxy forever.
It is a universe that you can enter today, if you dare. But remember that this is a dark and terrible era, and there is no peace amongst the stars...

The Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook is your essential guide to playing atmospheric battles in the 41st Millennium. It helps you field majestic armies of Citadel miniatures across the war-ravaged battlefields of the far-future, in the ultimate contest of strategy and skill.

With 440 full-colour pages, this hardback Rulebook is packed with rich background and contains all the rules for fighting pulse-pounding tabletop battles. The Rulebook includes exciting features such as dynamic close-combat, flyers, psychic devastation and interactive scenery. As well as jaw-dropping artwork, contained within is a history of the 41st Millennium and a richly detailed guide to the races and weapons of the far-future. It also features a comprehensive hobby section to set you on the path to choosing, collecting and building your own Warhammer 40,000 army of Citadel miniatures.
£45

One of the many exciting features of Warhammer 40,000 is Psychic devastation, where Psykers wreak havoc on the battlefield. Psychic Powers is the complete set of Psychic cards, which be used in conjunction with Psychic Disciplines. They make a great accessory to your tabletop games.

This set contains 35 large-format cards and come stored in a plastic fan-opening case, which bears the Aquila. There are 7 cards for each Psychic Discipline, each of which is represented by distinct artwork. There is also an instruction leaflet that classifies which powers can be used by the main Psykers in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.
£8

There are also "Munitorum Templates" (£12, designed with a metal effect look), "Munitorum Tape Measure" (£10, looking like a Servoskull) and "Munitorum Dice" (£10, while stocks last).

On advance order on 23th, available from 30th of June.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 03:56 AM
Awwwwwwhhhh.... The psychic powers rumour was right... Balls.

Any word on Collectors Edition?

eldargal
06-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Yep, hoping it doesn't mess up Eldar too much. I hate the idea of random psychic powers in 40k so much.

No words on collectors or gamers editions.

DrLove42
06-12-2012, 04:03 AM
****. ****. ****. Im not drawing any conclusions on physic powers until i've seen the actual rules...but this is not sounding like a good thing to me. Between duels and random physic powers....this edition isn't sounding fun to me.

7 cards per discipline reinforces the idea of "roll a D6 or have the signiture spell". If all armies end up having access tot he same powers i'm having a hissy fit and throwing stuff away. If GK get Fortune then i'm done

Knew they'd only release a physic phase just to sell a special edition card deck.

I'll get the book and the physic cards. The templates and dice maybe...see how they look. Need some new dice, my current ones are broken....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 04:05 AM
I want to keep my Null Zone! My Necrons are going to fall over like babbies in the "PSYCHIC PHASE". :/

Also, £45 was less than I was expecting. I am adequately excited for 6th. :D

Deadlift
06-12-2012, 04:07 AM
Oh my, this is like waiting for Christmas.

The psychic stuff "could" be good if it's going to be as powerful as they are implying. Must start painting some Salamander librarians I think.

Loving the interactive scenery too.

isotope99
06-12-2012, 04:11 AM
Yep, hoping it doesn't mess up Eldar too much. I hate the idea of random psychic powers in 40k so much.

They're going to have to do a lot of rules patching to make this work where psykers are picking their powers with different points costs. Two ways I can see this working:

1) Psykers that pay for powers individually or have them built in stay as they are until their next codex (chaos and eldar to be updated fairly soon). Only marines that pick from a list start with the new rules.

2) Big re-write of all current HQ psyker entries with new points costs and mastery levels (effectively brand new units) with some units that have secondary psychic or similar abilities (Grey knight squads, warlocks, tervigon, daemons etc.) probably staying as they are but maybe with a new psychic test mechanic.

Wolfshade
06-12-2012, 05:16 AM
It's like Dark Millenium all over again.
As for interactive scenery, what is that, is that getting cover saves by hiding in it? Is it blocking LoS? Are there now Death Worlds so you have to pass an I test otherwise suffer a wound as a tentacled vine tries to kill you?!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 05:18 AM
As for interactive scenery, what is that, is that getting cover saves by hiding in it? Is it blocking LoS? Are there now Death Worlds so you have to pass an I test otherwise suffer a wound as a tentacled vine tries to kill you?!

*in an operatic style* If it bleeds we can kill it!

Mr Mystery
06-12-2012, 05:26 AM
And this little Piggy went 'SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE' all the way to 30th June (assuming 23rd is just the pre-order date.

I shall summon my chums, and lo we shall ensconced within the boozer for pie, chips, beer and a bloody good read! Player's Edition for me please chum!!

Oh, and Psychics.... As *most* armies psykers are limited to HQ, could this add credence to the rumoured army selection changes??

Diagnosis Ninja
06-12-2012, 05:37 AM
7 Lores? Wonder how they're split. Hoping that it's seven generic lores, and each codex keeps army specific lores which are up for purchase. It'll be really bad if it ends up as Space MAGIC!, with 40k versions of the Lore of Fire (ie, Pyromancy) :/ Should still be interesting.

Also; Flyers and "interactive scenery". Hello Spooky Forest.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 05:42 AM
But Marines wouldn't give a damn! F'ing burn it down.
Not a single f___ was given.

Diagnosis Ninja
06-12-2012, 05:48 AM
But Marines wouldn't give a damn! F'ing burn it down.
Not a single fudgecake was given.

...Fixed?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 05:51 AM
...Fixed?

In the grim darkness of the far future there is no cake, only war. :D

Wolfshade
06-12-2012, 05:51 AM
I miss fudgecakes

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 05:56 AM
I still have a massive craving for chunky peanut butter. No idea why?

The Shadow King
06-12-2012, 05:57 AM
I miss fudgecakes

That's cos you need a 6+ to hit...

Wolfshade
06-12-2012, 06:09 AM
lol I like it

alshrive
06-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Dark Agent- you know why you crave chunky peanut butter, i already told you!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 06:11 AM
If there's a Lore of Metal equivalent then Iron Hands players are going to squee everywhere. :p

Yes Aaron, you're right. :D

The Shadow King
06-12-2012, 06:23 AM
What could the 7 lores be... Divination, Pyromancy, Telepathy, Telekinetics, Talking to Machines... what else

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Drugs! The lore of drugs!

The Shadow King
06-12-2012, 06:25 AM
Drugs! The lore of drugs!

or French Fancies. Same thing really

LordGrise
06-12-2012, 06:29 AM
Psychic powers... like melee combat wasn't enough??? :: pulls out the laminated AFSERK with the Tau symbol in the corners::

Instructions for the preparation, deployment, and utilization of an Air Force Stress Emergency Reduction Kit, or AFSERK:

Obtain a blank piece of 8.5 x 11 inch paper; white is preferred but any color may be utilized. Draw a six inch wide circle centered on this piece of paper, then a four inch wide circle centered within the six inch circle, then a two inch circle centered within the four inch circle. Color in the area between the six inch circle and the four inch circle, then color in the two inch circle, utilizing a color other than that of the piece of paper being employed; a highly contrasting color is recommended. This document hereafter will be referred to as an Air Force Stress Emergency Reduction Kit, or AFSERK.

After ensuring that your deployment zone does not impinge upon any high traffic areas, place AFSERK on a structurally solid object such as a concrete wall or steel desk. Apply forehead vigorously to AFSERK until stress is relieved or unconciousness ensues. Repeat as necessary.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 06:31 AM
HAH!!!!! That made me choke on my coffee, bravo sir!

tleilax
06-12-2012, 06:49 AM
I'm sorry but 35 cards in total and 7 cards to each psychic discipline do, if I'm correct only 5 lores not 7 :-)

DrLove42
06-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Armies like Tau and DE will really suffer under a more physically dominant game.

They have no Pyskers
They have no Physic defence (except Lady M in the DE, and thats not much)
There fluff says they either can't have pyskers cos it'll kill their species or just physically can't.

So while everyone else i running around (I can see it now, GK with Fortune, Nids with flame shooting out their hand) shooting off crazy powers, some races will have no counter to it

fuzzbuket
06-12-2012, 07:07 AM

im hoping things like bunkers, mounted weapons? tank traps , mines, and barricades :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Armies like Tau and DE will really suffer under a more physically dominant game.

They have no Pyskers
There fluff says they either can't have pyskers cos it'll kill their species or just physically can't.

So while everyone else i running around (I can see it now, GK with Fortune, Nids with flame shooting out their hand) shooting off crazy powers, some races will have no counter to it

What about Necrons? xD

Deadlift
06-12-2012, 07:16 AM
With all these psykers running around, I may be looking at khorne in the Chaos book ;)

jifel
06-12-2012, 07:21 AM
The only way I see the new psychic devestation being a good thing is if its IN ADDITION TO a psykers existing powers. If my Tervigon has to roll a dice, and hope for a 5 to get Catalyst or some BS, Im going to go play Space Marines. I really think that "random" powers can only work if they're all offensive. If theres a chance between rolling Warp Lance and say Catalyst, thats really going to F*** up the list building of 40k, as that drastically would change the role of the Tervigon depending on a roll. Now some people think list building is cheesy as people just math hammer the best list(coughgreyknightscough) , but I enjoy planning out a Nids list knowing exactly what it can do. (and we don't have too many cheesy/broken lists, do we?)

The Shadow King
06-12-2012, 07:29 AM
With 'Signature Spells' and multiple powers being rolled up, there really isn't as much randomness as you might think, ie Catalyst might be the Tyranid signature ability for all we know

Cpt Codpiece
06-12-2012, 07:32 AM
i am liking the sound of things, bring back a more 2nd ed rules set, but without the 30 mins or random stuff rolls (Ismoke/vortex rolls, random halucinogens but not the flamer rules.... i really want to set stuff on fire again)

as for magic....

corvidae..... predictive magics, rerolls for hit/wound and deep strike
raptora.... telekenisis, direct damage to units/vehicles, increased saves/cover saves via 'kine shields'
pavoni.... restorative, healing wounds, buffing certain aspects either statlines or FNP etc
athenean.... disruption, blocking LoS, adding to cover saves, pinning tests etc
pyrae... fire/destruction, direct flame attacks, maybe adding/removing melta/lance/flameproof rule, messing with vehicles (haywire)

well thats 5 lores, obviously all of the psychic races will have their own names for their own beliefs. but i think this is the way its gonna go

phoenix01
06-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Us Black Templar players will have it easy in 6th edition.

Wolfshade
06-12-2012, 07:46 AM
I would have thought a Tervigon with extra BS would be useful, after all BS3 isn't exactly brilliant

Wolfshade
06-12-2012, 07:48 AM
im hoping things like bunkers, mounted weapons? tank traps , mines, and barricades :D

That makes slightly more sense than my tree of doom DOOOM DOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Doooooooooooooom

DrLove42
06-12-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm wondering if they'll do what they've got in the Fantasy book and have Wargear in the BRB thats useable by all armies (well nearly all)

Defenestratus
06-12-2012, 08:22 AM
All this psychic stuff really makes me nervous for Eldar. It seems that the leaked rules so far favor the more resilient armies already - and any potential nerf to psychics could really throw Eldar for a loop.

Wolfshade
06-12-2012, 08:27 AM
It has been done before, and in the back of the brb currently they have stats for wargear and stuff

Mr Mystery
06-12-2012, 09:26 AM
All this psychic stuff really makes me nervous for Eldar. It seems that the leaked rules so far favor the more resilient armies already - and any potential nerf to psychics could really throw Eldar for a loop.

Fantasy beefed up Magic considerably. Those races with odd magic kept their spangle rules until their new army book.

Chill Winstons!

DrLove42
06-12-2012, 09:28 AM
My concern vis a vis Eldar and new Phsycic powers...

Is that they're supposed to be the most powerful pyskers in the universe. Under the current codexes they aren't, and the rules seem to be just boosting the power of all the books, making everyone even more generic.

keithsilva
06-12-2012, 10:11 AM
I am even more worried now then i was before with psychic powers and my Eldar, I mean if rolling to get what power i get to use is crap, I mean what if i want need Doom and get fortune that can really hurt a Eldar player bad, its like a big middle finger to Eldar, and if GK get to use fortune i mean holy **** it hard enough to kill there deathstars do they really need anymore help.

I will wait and see what the rules are to pass judgement but it looks like I might be putting my Eldar up until there new codex which upsets me because they are my beloved army and i use them in comp. games:(

I guess in the Grim Darkness of the Future there is only GREY KNIGHTS:eek:

SaganGree
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
My concern vis a vis Eldar and new Phsycic powers...

Is that they're supposed to be the most powerful pyskers in the universe. Under the current codexes they aren't, and the rules seem to be just boosting the power of all the books, making everyone even more generic.

True... but I'm expecting (via FAQ) for Farseers to have a significant Mastery level. At a guess Farseers would start at ML 2, possibly 3, with Spirit Stones adding one level to the total. I also expect that out of turn powers will be removed so your Librarian will only be able to cast one power, unless the upgrade is purchased, especially given the rumors that the turn sequence may be altered.

Edit: Now that I think about it... what will probably happen is that there will be maintained powers, exactly as it is in Fantasy

Edit again: Lets assume that GK or C:SM or whoever does have access to Fortune... I don't think I would be as worried as you fear... because RoW would be (Assuming Fantasy is the model) a Die increase on the defensive end as well as a Die increase on the offensive end (due to RoWt). Seeing as Fortune would fall under a defensive line of psychic powers (ie a defensive lore) and you won't have to worry about other crazyness like JotWW Etc.

Wildeybeast
06-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Any word on Collectors Edition?

There will probably be a gamers edition with the dice and templates in. That's what they did with fantasy and they seem to have copied everything else from there. :D

They have no Pyskers

I'm guessing it will be like fantasy with a dispel phase, with non psyker armies getting some sort of natural resistance and cool technology in the same dwarfs get magic resistance and runes.

Bigred
06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
There are 5 Lores:

Biomancy
Divination
Pyromancy
Telekinetics
Telepathy

We've heard each of these Lores has a d6 chart you roll on for powers, and a "default" power you can always choose to take in lieu of rolling. That would add up to 35 powers.

Kawauso
06-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Just chiming in to say that like many, I think these rumours -are- exciting.

But I am worried about how they will affect existing psykers/psychic powers...particularly since they're currently add-ons that you can purchase within your codex.

It's just so different I have trouble seeing how the two new system will marry the old, and I would be sad to see army-specific powers disappear on us.

Lockark
06-12-2012, 12:25 PM
The only issue with 8th ed magic is the Purple Sun Death bomb+Lord of Death Attribute = A few Good rolls I nuke your whole army.

I saw a Beastmen army evaporate in one magic phase due to a few lucky rolls. Sure it's rare to see that happen, but the point is it can happen every once in awhile.

Other wise I liked 8th ed magic, and welcome seeing thows ideas brought to 40k.

Deadlift
06-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Any word on who the author is ?

Malcontent
06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
There are 5 Lores:

Biomancy
Divination
Pyromancy
Telekinetics
Telepathy

Looks like they've taken the psychic disciplines from the 40k RPGs and used that.

khsrio621
06-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Keep in mind that you may be able to buy terrain and structures. So there is a possibility that non-psychic armies might have access to psychically disruptive terrain.

Lockark
06-12-2012, 01:46 PM
There are 5 Lores:

Biomancy
Divination
Pyromancy
Telekinetics
Telepathy

We've heard each of these Lores has a d6 chart you roll on for powers, and a "default" power you can always choose to take in lieu of rolling. That would add up to 35 powers.

Biomancy?

Kaori..... Help me! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQT4qB-RFjk)

leth
06-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Out of curiosity, I don't remember anyone saying that the psychic spells would be random, only that they would have lores. What if it is pick from this list sort of thing. Maybe see how psychic mastery plays in.

Lockark
06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Out of curiosity, I don't remember anyone saying that the psychic spells would be random, only that they would have lores. What if it is pick from this list sort of thing. Maybe see how psychic mastery plays in.

The description for the cards describes 7 spells/cards per Lore. So It's saft to assume a list of 6 powers you roll on, with a 7th power that you can always select.

kellyj
06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Or something along the lines that you get 1 generic power you can use throughout the game and 6 'special powers' that you may use only once per game. This could tie in nicely with the rumor that random game length is gone...6 turns; 6 powers.

KrewL RaiN
06-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Psychic lores wut? lol

So... then Tyranids would get the lore of "Omnomnom?"

Kawauso
06-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Psychic lores wut? lol

So... then Tyranids would get the lore of "Omnomnom?"

Gods I hope so. :)

daboarder
06-12-2012, 05:05 PM
I don't, I keep pointing it out but random powers are a BAD thing for 40k.

Psykers in 40k aren't like mages in fantasy, in 40k we have 2 HQ choices so that's very few entries in ANY codex that could work with "random powers"

The reason only a few would work that way is because any other unit in a codex with psychic powers is using the rules as a mechanic to accomplish their role in the army list. take Zoanthropes for example, their role is anti tank/MEQ, they, and the rest of the nid codex are balanced around this fact. If however we throw random powers into this argument then the zoanthrope becomes pointless. Random powers are not a means of forcing a general to think on his feat, they only serve to butcher the role units play within their codex.

rickyard
06-12-2012, 05:43 PM
There will probably be a gamers edition with the dice and templates in. That's what they did with fantasy and they seem to have copied everything else from there. :D

I'm guessing it will be like fantasy with a dispel phase, with non psyker armies getting some sort of natural resistance and cool technology in the same dwarfs get magic resistance and runes.

Demiurgs, i am looking at you, hehe

Chronowraith
06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
We have 2 HQ choices now... in 5th edition. Rumor has it that 6th edition will, at very least, relax these restrictions much like 8th edition Fantasy did.

As far as the the unit psychic powers, I'm guessing they will work like bound spells in 8th edition Fantasy. So in fantasy they will receive their special ability and a casting value that it takes to make that power work. Or they could receive a single spell with a casting value and GW will FAQ the various army books to include the mastery levels of existing psychic units.

I'm not saying, "don't be concerned"... just suggesting that until we see all of the rules and how they interact with each other that people shouldn't overreact.

Alqualonde
06-13-2012, 12:32 AM

Hopefully they go fluffy with Eldar as supreme psykers and make Farseers loremasters! Going to need FAQs for most Codices as well.

isotope99
06-13-2012, 04:15 AM
On force organisation, I hope they don't go with just percentages, here's an example of why:

Ubermeltajerkface army: 1,990 pts

Coteaz (100)
45 squads of 3 melta acolytes (135 total :cool:)

More realistic question, if they have a minimum troops percentage should this include/exclude dedicated transports?

Wildcard
06-13-2012, 05:56 AM
On force organisation, I hope they don't go with just percentages, here's an example of why:

Coteaz (100)
45 squads of 3 melta acolytes (135 total )

Well, this could be avoided by (and similar min-maxin) by putting min 20% max 60% to troops (or something along those percentages, i am not about to mathammer anything now)

More realistic question, if they have a minimum troops percentage should this include/exclude dedicated transports?

If not, then how about any other upgrade / addition you can get to your squad (or unit)? In my opinion it affects the units performance, and its bought with it, so i can see no reason why not to include.

not sure if it was BA or BT that can take landraiders as dedicated transports.. 100pts assault squads that counts in the %, and then 200+ pts worth of powerfull upgrade that counts only at the total points of your lists, priceless?
It wouldn't be any different with the BA 25pts rhinos / razorbacks (always forget the true prices and discounts)..

I kinda understand your point from the eldar & necron point of view with the "mandatory" expensive dedicated transport.. Put the mentioned point stands, it seriously affects (or has the potential to affect) the efficiency of the troops it carries by adding mobility, protection and additional guns to the army.

Even if they are to be "death traps" as some have suggested, they still would bring performance to the unit, only with a greater risk. But that risk is mitigated due to the mutual effects accross all armies (the change to actually blow the vehicle and its passengers up should already be included in the pricing)

Just my 2cents on the matter..

-Wild

DrLove42
06-13-2012, 06:13 AM
Well new rumours are suggesting its NOT % based, so we'll just have to wait and see

However consider it as it is now. A Ded transport doesn't take up any of your FoC slots, but it DOES count as a 2nd troops choice for the purposes of deploying in Dawn of War

Wildcard
06-13-2012, 06:40 AM
However consider it as it is now. A Ded transport doesn't take up any of your FoC slots, but it DOES count as a 2nd troops choice for the purposes of deploying in Dawn of War

I have missed this completely, where is it exactly said so? Rulebook, faq/errata?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Rulebook when rolling for Mission Type

Cheexsta
06-13-2012, 06:59 AM
I have missed this completely, where is it exactly said so? Rulebook, faq/errata?
Have a read of the Dawn of War deployment example. It's explained there pretty well (and in other places, for that matter) that a unit and its dedicated transport are separate units.

Regarding random psychic powers, I think it's more likely that those Disciplines are going to be additional options for psykers, rather than outright replacing their current powers.

Wildcard
06-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Found out "Multiple unit choices" on p.92 under "Deploy forces".. it indeed states that dedicated transports counts as separate units in all respects.. Funny, through the whole 5th we've played it "wrong" then.. :)

How does this affect IG Platoons then? Its even errated that platoon as a whole is deployed.. but if you have bought chimeras to the troops, then it would count as 6(from transports, 5 from squads 1 from command squad) + 1 from the platoon in itself totalling 7 choices if you wanted to deploy them?

Demonus
06-13-2012, 08:29 AM

Coteaz (100)
45 squads of 3 melta acolytes (135 total :cool:)

LOL the Avatar and Lord of Fire Ctan would love this list.