PDA

View Full Version : New games

DarkLink
06-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Is it just me, or are there a ton of awesome looking games at E3? Halo 4 looks like a 343 did a great job of picking up the ball where Bungie left it. The Last of Us (first time I actually wished I had a PS3), Tomb Raider, and Beyond Two Souls all look incredibly intense and cinematic.Watch Dogs just plain looks awesome, and Splinter Cell Blacklist takes all the awesome things about all the different Splinter Cell games before and puts them together.

eldargal
06-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Looking forward to Neverwinter (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=22312) and Star Wars 1313 (http://dvice.com/archives/2012/06/1313-is-the-sta.php).

Wolfshade
06-12-2012, 01:35 AM
No, its all about the new SimCity and X-COM (not the fps thing urgh)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 01:38 AM
I can't wait for Elder Scrolls: Online. :D

DrLove42
06-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Watchdogs blew me away with what it could do.

I've summarised by highs and lows on my blog already....

http://drlove42.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/my-e3-roundup-this-is-taking-form-of.html

Psychosplodge
06-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Don't know E3 looked a bit half-arsed to me to be honest, but that sony mmofps looks interesting, and the wii u zombie survival has potential...
Simcity has it's drm issues, and potential DLC issues now its an EA brand, so....
The starwars game has potential, but we'll see....

Wolfshade
06-12-2012, 05:10 AM
Yeah, that is my concern with the whole EA title.
I mean I get why they are doing it, but when will game devs realise that not all of us want to play against our friends/random strangers.

DarkLink
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
I've summarised by highs and lows on my blog already....

You put Splinter Cell Blacklist in the bad list, for no other reason than you want it to be like the original splinter cells. They've stated they've expanded the stealth options from Conviction, even if they didn't show it in the trailer, and have said they've specifically designed the game so you can go back to the old 'pure ghost' style of gameplay. Or you can run and gun. Your choice, which is exactly how the game should be. The only thing that separated 90% of Conviction from the previous games was that now killing was a viable option, and you lost the ability to hide bodies and merely knock people unconscious as opposed to snapping their necks.

Conviction, pure stealth or not, is simply one of the most fun games I've ever played, and was by far the most fun of any game in the series. Dismissing it, or Blacklist similarly, for no reason other than getting pedantic over the title or genre, is nonsensical.

On the other hand, I'm hesitant about GoW as well. Frankly, the gameplay, while still fun, hasn't really improved significantly since the first GoW (unlike Halo). There hasn't been any real advancement, and they haven't fixed the problem with the gameplay that were there in the earlier games (crappy turret controls, like almost every other game out there. Seriously, I've yet to play a game where the on-rails turret section was anything but an annoyance.). And since the story, aside from Dom's sub-plot, has never really been much more engrossing than "MOTHER*******ING CHAINSAW BAYONETS, MOTHER*********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", I think they're really going to have to show some real improvement for me to spend $60 on it.

MaltonNecromancer
06-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I had no idea that a new Splinter Cell was on the way. I shall be getting that - Conviction was the best stealth action game I've ever played: for me, it was the best combination of combat and stealth ever.

The only game I'm actually truly waiting for is the new Hitman game. Blood Money was the best pure stealth game of all time, no exceptions. It was the moment I realised that you can complete every single mission with no weapons of any kind, just absolute creativity. People always rave about how GTA is a sandbox, but Hitman has always been my kind of sandbox - sure, the only thing you can do is kill, but there's a thousand ways to do it and I hate cars. Plus the atmosphere is second to none. The Meat King's Mansion mission in Hitman: Contracts? *brrrrrrr* When I worked out that you couldn't get a perfect score if you assassinated the Meat King's child-murdering brother because he hadn't been paid for? That was a true moment of personal horror for me - the game only rewards you for absolute professionalism, and that doesn't include doing the right thing. Magnificent.

DarkLink
06-12-2012, 06:00 PM
I had no idea that a new Splinter Cell was on the way. I shall be getting that - Conviction was the best stealth action game I've ever played: for me, it was the best combination of combat and stealth ever.

Exactly.

I know it wasn't pure stealth like the old games, and I can understand that some might be frustrated by a game that doesn't allow you to play pure stealth when that's what they want. But that pure stealth game hasn't been made yet (and the publisher has stated that they've re-incorporated those elements into the new game).

Conviction is an outstanding game in its own right. It's silly to get hung up over the fact that it's titled Splinter Cell.

Same thing with the new Ghost Recon Future Soldier. It's more of an action shooter than previous Ghost Recons, but it's a pretty awesome game. And frankly, I didn't like the only other Ghost Recon game I ever played (don't remember which one) so Future Soldier was a big improvement. Yet I've heard people complain that it's "not Ghost Recon enough".

You'd probably like GRFS, btw. It borrows very heavily from many elements of Conviction. Basically just add more firefights to Conviction, plus some teammates with pretty good AI (and coop options), and you've got GRFS. I'm pretty impressed with it, even if there are a few things that could have used a bit more polish, and single player campaign has some particular annoying parts, such as two or three on-rails/turret sections that are just as annoying as in every other game with on-rail/turret sections. But your ability to customize guns and stealthily kill your way through a level in broad daylight and in the middle of a heavy firefight is a ton of fun. I just wish I had Live so I could do online co-op regularly.

scadugenga
06-12-2012, 08:26 PM
X-Com.

That's all that I'm looking forward to.

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Now when you say X-COM do you mean XCOM the 2k fps or XCOM:Enemy Unknown by firaxis ?

eldargal
06-13-2012, 02:13 AM
I've only played Hitman: Blood Money and I think some of Silent Assassin, but I'm quite looking forward to Absolution. Funnily enough my best friend, who is absolutely mad for the Hitman series, says she won't get it because they are changing the voice actor/actress for agent whatsisnaumber and his handler woman. Looking forward to Thief 4 more though, now that was a fantastic stealth series...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Ooooh yes, Hitman: Absolution looks great. With the added elements from Assassin's Creed (the "eagle sense" and such) it looks like it'll be a great game.

Which reminds me, Assassin's Creed 3, want.

DrLove42
06-13-2012, 02:52 AM
I've only played Hitman: Blood Money and I think some of Silent Assassin, but I'm quite looking forward to Absolution. Funnily enough my best friend, who is absolutely mad for the Hitman series, says she won't get it because they are changing the voice actor/actress for agent whatsisnaumber and his handler woman. Looking forward to Thief 4 more though, now that was a fantastic stealth series...

They've changed the voice actor for "his handler woman" because its a different character. In this game 47 is being hunted by his agency, not working for them

Exactly.

I know it wasn't pure stealth like the old games, and I can understand that some might be frustrated by a game that doesn't allow you to play pure stealth when that's what they want. But that pure stealth game hasn't been made yet (and the publisher has stated that they've re-incorporated those elements into the new game).

Conviction is an outstanding game in its own right. It's silly to get hung up over the fact that it's titled Splinter Cell.

Same thing with the new Ghost Recon Future Soldier. It's more of an action shooter than previous Ghost Recons, but it's a pretty awesome game. And frankly, I didn't like the only other Ghost Recon game I ever played (don't remember which one) so Future Soldier was a big improvement. Yet I've heard people complain that it's "not Ghost Recon enough".

You'd probably like GRFS, btw. It borrows very heavily from many elements of Conviction. Basically just add more firefights to Conviction, plus some teammates with pretty good AI (and coop options), and you've got GRFS. I'm pretty impressed with it, even if there are a few things that could have used a bit more polish, and single player campaign has some particular annoying parts, such as two or three on-rails/turret sections that are just as annoying as in every other game with on-rail/turret sections. But your ability to customize guns and stealthily kill your way through a level in broad daylight and in the middle of a heavy firefight is a ton of fun. I just wish I had Live so I could do online co-op regularly.

I only put Splinter Cell in bad, because of my gripes with it. It will be a brilliant game, I will be buying it, and the fact that Mercs vs Spies is apparantly back for multiplayer is great. I have heard you can still be stealthy stealthy, it just wasn't shown in the E3 vids.

My other gripes with it are the fact that its set after Conviction, but Sam is younger and voiced by someone new. If they'd just put in a new character and had Ironside as his handler it'd have been better. Also would the head of a super black Ops programme be the one in the field?

As for Ghost Recon...yes brilliant game. I really enjoyed GRAW, not GRAW2 so much though. But FS is a natural evolution. It so satisfying getting through a whole level undetected, and correctly organising your team taking out a group of enemies without anyone noticing. My only gripes with it are that getting through a level without killing anyone will get you a low Ghost Score. And that the multiplayer sucks balls. Seriously in the multiplayer the best weapon to have is the Taser gun. 1 hit downs, very accurate and it allows you to "hack" the enemy so you know where the entire enemy team are. And even if the guy who tased you leaves you, or is killed, you are still immobilised on the floor for 30 seconds. People just run and gun in the MP like its CoD and its just no fun.

FYI - The new Battlefield DLC is available for Premium players, and normals next week. And its really good. Fast, tight and so destructive. Wonderful

eldargal
06-13-2012, 02:59 AM
Not true, Diane or whatever her name is is the same character but has a different voice actress. Doesn't explain why they have a new voice actor doing 47 and won't even respond to the old actors phonecalls to explain why they dropped him.:(

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Poor Agent 47, I knew him well...

DrLove42
06-13-2012, 03:24 AM
I was told in all the promo stuff so far that Diana (his handler)was killed, thats why its anew person

Either way...i'm looking forward to it

Edit - Ah ah - Found it on the Hitman wiki. One of the first missions in the game is 47 assassinating his handler Diana Burnwood. The rest of the game is him defending against his own organisation, a secret cloning fraternity and protecting someone, to fulfill Dianas dying wish

DrLove42
06-13-2012, 08:43 AM
On the subject of new games (and deserving its own post) Crytek CEO is guaging tweeet responses on the size of the community that would want Timesplitters 4 or a remake of an earlier Timesplitters

As one of the FPS's i really look back on from my younger days with respect fr its good gamplay and slick, sarcastic comedy i'd be up for this....

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-12016-Crytek-Gauging-Demand-For-TimeSplitters-4-on-Twitter.html

DarkLink
06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
I only put Splinter Cell in bad, because of my gripes with it. It will be a brilliant game, I will be buying it, and the fact that Mercs vs Spies is apparantly back for multiplayer is great. I have heard you can still be stealthy stealthy, it just wasn't shown in the E3 vids.

You can move bodies, and things like the sticky shock and knife are back. That alone makes things much stealthier. Everything else comes down to level design, and we only saw a small part of a single level (and it looked like they could have bypassed most of the enemies in the level if they had wanted to).

My other gripes with it are the fact that its set after Conviction, but Sam is younger and voiced by someone new. If they'd just put in a new character and had Ironside as his handler it'd have been better. Also would the head of a super black Ops programme be the one in the field?

Maybe Sam Fisher is a code name, just like James Bond;).

And while it does seem odd the head of echelon 4 would be in the field, it sounds like the whole program is really just the same small, elite team rather than a whole new agency.

MaltonNecromancer
06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
If they'd just put in a new character and had Ironside as his handler it'd have been better.

I agree completely.

But just ask poor Raiden how the hard-core fans took to him in MGS2. :rolleyes: You'd think the world had ended.

As for Ghost Recon, I really enjoyed the first few. Not as much as Rainbow 6: Vegas though (best straight FPS evar IMO). If there was some way to combine the shooting engine and gameplay of Rainbow 6, the monster designs from Doom 3 and Quake 4, and the expansive wandering of Fallout 3 (not New Vegas - felt too small. Plus, all that ammunition micromanagement. Bleaurgh.), you'd have pretty much my perfect FPS game.

Fantomaz
06-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm new here , nice thread!

DrLove42
06-14-2012, 04:00 AM
I'm really looking forward to Rainbow 6 Patriots. Yes we've not seen anything real of it yet, and i'd imagine for console gamers it will be next gen, but it should be brilliant, assuming they don't ruin it too much with this "moral choice" gameplay

Also - All Clancy games are set in the same Universe. HAWX aircraft assist Ghost Team. Third Echelon provides Intel for Team Rainbow (and if you've read the books, Rainbow are the only "real" thing Clancy made). So if the special forces team have a suit that makes you invisible, why doesn't the infiltration spy in Splinter Cell?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Clancy makes good games (and books), there hasn't been a single one that I haven't enjoyed!

scadugenga
06-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Now when you say X-COM do you mean XCOM the 2k fps or XCOM:Enemy Unknown by firaxis ?

Enemy Unknown, of course! :)

I want that nostalgic game experience with upgraded story, graphics, and ga,eplay.

Besides, fps games give me motion sickness...ugh.

Wolfshade
06-14-2012, 06:22 AM
I thought it would be that, the fps I don't get it it's not right

Psychosplodge
06-14-2012, 06:26 AM
I want a proper syndicate remake, a graphics update and new missions, but the original gameplay...

Wolfshade
06-14-2012, 06:29 AM
That is another game that looked ruined by FPS.
I could never complete the final mission on Syndicate, even if I cheated just being mobbed at the start not good

Psychosplodge
06-14-2012, 06:45 AM
I never owned it till now, (but I haven't got my snes set up at the moment), but I always enjoyed playing it when I had the chance. It's one of those games that deserves a proper pc update, but then again they killed colonisation by remaking it with the civ4 engine...

Wolfshade
06-14-2012, 06:50 AM
SNES?! SNES?! It was a PC game first! (Actually I don't know that, I never had a snes, and if I wanted to play snes games I'll just get an emulator, or maybe run it on a virtual machine_)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 07:00 AM
The most retro thing that I can say is that my first consoles were a Nintendo 64, a PS1, and a Gameboy (black and white).

Psychosplodge
06-14-2012, 07:07 AM
It was an amiga game, but I don't have an amiga, I have got a snes hence why I've now got it for the snes lol, I've never got on well with emulators, they always seem to have sh!tty control configs

The most retro thing that I can say is that my first consoles were a Nintendo 64, a PS1, and a Gameboy (black and white).

You've missed out on the joys of the original mario kart, but at least you probably got to play golden eye/perfect dark multiplayers?

Wolfshade
06-14-2012, 07:10 AM
My first (and only) console is a Wii.
A neighbour had all the latest consoles/games so whenever we wanted to play games I would go across there.
Original mario cart was brutal

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 07:14 AM
You've missed out on the joys of the original mario kart, but at least you probably got to play golden eye/perfect dark multiplayers?

Oh yes! Such good games!

Psychosplodge
06-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Original mario cart was brutal

Without the game breaking blue shells or the help to lower ability players...

Wolfshade
06-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Don't get me started I was playing the Wii kart the other day and I was winning then on the final lap got hit by a blue shell and then two normals and ended up 8th :mad:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 07:26 AM
I've never been massively into Mario, Zelda was where it at.

Psychosplodge
06-15-2012, 03:47 AM
I'll just leave this here...

http://chzvideogames.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/video-game-memes-who-do-you-align-with.jpg

Wolfshade
06-15-2012, 03:48 AM
I'll just leave this here...

http://chzvideogames.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/video-game-memes-who-do-you-align-with.jpg

I would like to thank the Hon. Gtlmn for making me aware of this.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-15-2012, 05:28 AM
I wish I knew what it was.